Author Topic: Flagrant fouls  (Read 4885 times)

Offline #92

• FAN REACTION: +3/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Flagrant fouls
« on: December 26, 2016, 07:54:53 AM »
Our Belgian senior season is upon us, and I'm going through the literature again. So my apologies for the numerous questions I might post these days :)

I was wondering whether a "flagrant" foul is only possible for fouls that are Personal Fouls, or also for other physical contact fouls. Rules 2-10-3 and 9-1-1 don't address the destinction explicitly, and also the introduction in Rule 9-1 leaves me to believe fouls that are generally not Personal Fouls can be flagrant.
Quote from:  Rule 2-10-3
A flagrant personal foul is illegal physical contact so extreme or deliberate that it places an opponent in danger of catastrophic injury.
Quote from:  Rule 9-1 Introduction
All fouls in this section (unless noted) and any other acts of unnecessary roughness are personal fouls. For flagrant personal fouls mandating conference review, see Rule 9-6. Except as otherwise noted, the penalties for all personal fouls are as follows: [...]
Quote from:  Rule 9-1-1
Before the game, during the game and between periods, all flagrant fouls (Rule 2-10-1) require disqualification. Team B disqualification personal fouls require first downs if not in conflict with other rules.

What made me wonder about this, was A.R. 9-3-3-I, in which I have the impression the block in the back is unnecessarily rough. And if that's not the case in this A.R., lets say it is (for arguments sake). Could we eject A12 for a foul that is by rule explicitly not a Personal Foul?

Or would the foul become a Personal Foul because of the wiggle room we get from Rule 9-1 Introduction?
Quote from:  A.R. 9-3-3-I
A6 is advancing the ball. During the run, A12 vigorously blocks B2 with a rough push in the back above the waist.
RULING: Illegal block in the back. Penalty—10 yards.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 07:59:45 AM by #92 »

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
Re: Flagrant fouls
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 02:31:44 PM »
Well, rule 9-1 does give you leeway, but I would really want to see a BIB or holding which would be so rough that it would be a PF, let alone a flagrant PF.

Offline #92

• FAN REACTION: +3/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 04:27:14 PM »
Let's say B2 has missed the tackle and has quite given up on the play, following the runner at 1 km/h. A12 comes in at 10 km/h and "vigorously" (quoting the A.R. here) blocks B2 in the back just at the shoulders.

Wouldn't that be a risk of great injury?

Moreover, could BiB ever be a PF if not flagrant?

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 05:37:37 PM »
Just a personal observation.  I have always considered a "cheap shot" as being interchangeable with the term "flagrant", and regard "cheap shot" as being related to the definition of "beauty" in that it is EXCLUSIVELY, "in the eye of the beholder", not subject to external review.

It boils down to who observed what.

Offline Blackandwhite

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 03:20:59 PM »
Well as stated above: It depends on the observer. Cheap shots 30 meters away from the normal poa could of course be done from behind ...

We had a youth player last year with a cheap shot from behind on the very edge (only 15y and longer talk-to) in the second quarter. Halftime did not help as it seems. Disqualified himself later in the 3d for another (and harder) cheap shot....

But a holding? I am with Kalle on this one :-)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 03:23:52 PM by Blackandwhite »

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 03:22:00 PM »
Let's say B2 has missed the tackle and has quite given up on the play, following the runner at 1 km/h. A12 comes in at 10 km/h and "vigorously" (quoting the A.R. here) blocks B2 in the back just at the shoulders.

Wouldn't that be a risk of great injury?

Moreover, could BiB ever be a PF if not flagrant?

That's not a BIB, it is a 9-1-12-b PF, and I think it would be a flagrant one at that. Remember that the foul has to be so extreme that it places the opponent in danger of a catastrophic injury, not just any injury, if it is considered a flagrant foul.

Offline Blackandwhite

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 03:48:36 PM »
Yep, and off course would be announced as a PF and not as IBB/BIB  P_S

It may not help you now but normally you will know when you see a flagrant  ^flag ^flag ^flag one before you on the turf.

Offline Aussie-Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
  • Australian Gridiron Officials Association
    • Gridironwest
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 11:07:38 PM »
That's not a BIB, it is a 9-1-12-b PF, and I think it would be a flagrant one at that. Remember that the foul has to be so extreme that it places the opponent in danger of a catastrophic injury, not just any injury, if it is considered a flagrant foul.

yEs:

Contact Against an Opponent Out of the Play

R 9.1.12

b. No player shall run into or throw himself against an opponent obviously out of the play either before or after the ball is dead.
For every coach that thinks we got it wrong there's another that thinks we got it right.