Author Topic: Whistles and Stripes  (Read 6858 times)

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
Whistles and Stripes
« on: September 08, 2010, 05:51:53 PM »

Newspaper columnist article on our avocation.  (Photo is the R on our crew)

http://voices.mysanantonio.com/garydelaune/2010/09/whistles-and-stripes-someone-h.html

From Garden City to Strawn where young men rush into six-man gridiron combat, to the giant enrollments of Southlake Carroll or Katy High School and the 80 or more youngsters who suit-up for home games, there is a crew of men wearing their zebra shirts and toting whistles who have to become the mediators, the arbitrators, the rules experts for 48 minutes. They are the game officials.

Often they are former players themselves who continue to keep their relationship with the sport they love. Their naked eye, split-second decisions can sometimes affect the outcome of a game but all to often receive undeserved criticism, catcalls, and condescending comments when they are simply making a call the way they saw it happen.

There are hundreds of officials in Texas who travel far and near to officiate a game when they know their wallets won't be enlarged by the fees they receive when the final zero blinks on the scoreboard clock.

Perhaps a crew from Amarillo has to make the drive to Dalhart or Tex-line Another may be driving from San Antonio to Laredo. Whatever stadium is the destination, they return home in the pre-dawn hours still wondering about that goal-line stand when the home crowd went berserk thinking the star halfback had crossed the plain of the invisible margin.

In the years I have occupied the broadcast booth attempting to describe all the action on the field below, too many times I have voiced an opinion on what I witness through the binoculars as they magnify the scene. Many times I should have kept my mouth shut. All too often, a sports announcer will be quick on the trigger to second-guess or criticize the "ref" who is just few feet away from the tackle, pile-up or sideline.

Sure, you sometimes can get a better overall view of the field whereas the official is limited with his line of sight being obscured by giant linemen or perhaps a bad angle. But I've never known any official who didn't make the call the way he saw it. It is always an instantaneous decision and throughout the seasons, I haven't seen too many "bad" calls that might affect the outcome.

It has been my privilege to know some of the top officials in Texas who have officiated high school, college and NFL games. From the late Pat Knight who officiated a Super Bowl, to the late Red Shaw who was a top Southwest Conference official, to the dozens of friends who work high school games every week.

To mention all of them would take most of my blog-space but I'll name a few of those who impressed me with their football knowledge, their leadership and their ability.

Many of the good ones have given up "field" work for the press box clock, but they were some of the best who ever put on a "zebra" shirt.

Currently, one of my favorite game-time officials is Lewis Stroud of Devine. His 40-yard sprint might have doubled in time but he can still motor up and down the field during a game. Bill Fecci is still blowing the whistle. Jim Carroll, Rocky Crews, Jay Birchfield and many more.

I admired the work of officials like Ezra Corley, John Barnett, Bill Bridgeman, Rick Shaw and the late Malcomb Robbins, as well as the late George Frost.

Now you'll find long-time officlals Jim Potter, Ed Sebera, Bob Tscherhardt, Billy Hyde, Buddy Magee, and others in the press box on a Friday night.

I recall the late Dr. Lanier Byrd. Not only was he a fine college administrator, he was a darnn good official. Even after having major heart surgery, he continued to referee until shortly before his death.

Another inspiring story was that of Joe Dennis, a diminutive man who officiated both football and basketball. Dennis was one of the best. He passed away a couple of years ago.

Every man who joins their respective chapter for officials does it for one reason ... the love for the gridiron game. That's my primary motivation for continuing to broadcast game-after-game of high school football. They don't make a lot of money ... they might take a lot of heat .... but there is no kick off in Texas that could take place until the referee holds his hand high and signals the game is under way.

I'll never forget a story Red Shaw once told. He was officiating a Southwest Conference game, and because the official who was to be the referee, or head official, took ill, he was cast into the position. He had to conduct the toss of the coin at midfield and he didn't have a coin to flip. He asked the other officials if anyone had a coin. No one did. So Red turned to the respective captains and said "Okay, boys, I'm thinking of a number between one and 10 ...".

So the next time you attend a game and you see a hold, or an illegal block that you swear the officials missed, just think for a minute. What kind of a split second call would you make in a similar situation and would you take all the abuse they receive for what they are paid?

Just hold your breath for a second and think of a number between one and 10.

younggun

Re: Whistles and Stripes
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 06:36:19 PM »
Good story...

Offline JugglingReferee

• FAN REACTION: +40/-15
  • Ἰησοῦς Χριστός, Θεοῦ Υἱός, Σωτήρ
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 10:09:08 PM »
*plane

rickref

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 11:03:33 AM »
nice

Offline Andrew McCarthy

• FAN REACTION: +21/-6
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 12:59:16 PM »
*plane
Haha yeah that ruined the whole article for me, too.

Grant - AR

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 03:08:47 PM »
Haha yeah that ruined the whole article for me, too.

I don't see what the big deal is.  There are plains all over Texas, right?   :D