Author Topic: Another Pink Controversy  (Read 5740 times)

Offline GoodScout

• FAN REACTION: +9/-9
Another Pink Controversy
« on: February 09, 2012, 08:10:59 AM »
Along the lines of last year's pink whistle controversy, our basketball colleagues had a similar kerfluffle last week:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/08/burke-high-school-girls-b_n_1263864.html

Yes, it's a technical foul, but I assure you when the opposing coach came up to ME wanting two free shots, I'd just look at him like he was the Grinch and then turn and walk away.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: Another Pink Controversy
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 08:19:34 AM »
The "visiting school's Athletic Director" needs to get a life. Too bad the clown's name wasn't mentioned. And too bad the officials didn't use some common sense. They all must have moved to Nebraska from Washington state.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 10:09:42 AM »
On 1 hand it's rather chicken stuff for the AD to make a big deal about this.
Conversely, the pink team seemingly did not checked the rules, call the state, or the opposing team(s) before doing their uniform deal.
The whole deal puts us in a bad light as we didn't do anything wrong.
One could certainly easily put it to bed & say "coach, the rules clearly say 'white' for home.  you can't go make up your own rules.  I have no choice but to give a T"

One could also tell the AD, "You really want me to T them on a uni deal where they are trying to good for the neighborhood?  Is there an advantage they are gaining?  Couldn't you talk this out with the other AD?"

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 10:31:19 AM »
It behooves coaches to seek guidance, permission, understanding, whatever you want to call it from their governing body BEFORE they make decisions such as this instead of throwing it out there for the game officials to have to deal with.

Was the opposing AD being a _____ (fill in your favorite adjective here) ?  Most definitely.  But the officials are placed in a bad spot.  Sure, the crew can "cowboy up" and say "no, we are not going to assess the foul and penalty here tonight".  Then they are placed in the position of not following policy/rule/procedure and now their administration is placed in a bad position to make a decision they probably don't want to make either.

A simple phone call to the state office stops the train wreck.  I admire the team and their stance.  I deplore their coach's decision to not be an adult and do the job which he was hired to do, which is to administer his program in all its facets.

ECILLJ

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 08:40:01 AM »
Assuming the officials should enforce the rule (I have my own thoughts). It should have been done at the very beginning of the game and not when someone brings it their attention. What if the rule hadn't been brought to their attention until near the end of the contest? Regardless of how the rule is written, the crew mishandled this and it reflects poorly on all of us.

busman

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 09:09:30 AM »
There's nothing to say that the opposing coach couldn't have directed his player to 1) miss the technicals or 2) make the technicals, but them "let them score" on the other end, then everyone starts playing at the same point differential.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 01:36:54 PM by busman »

foureyedzebra

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 08:48:14 PM »
There's nothing to say that the opposing coach couldn't have directed his player to 1) miss the technicals or 2) make the technicals, but them "let them score" on the other end, then everyone starts playing at the same point differential.

"Dreams have only one owner at a time. That's why dreamers are lonely." Erma Bombeck
"It takes a lot of courage to show your dreams to someone else." Erma Bombeck

Offline GoodScout

• FAN REACTION: +9/-9
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 11:22:23 PM »
A more detailed story. Love how the AD who pushed for the fouls tries after the fact to throw the officials under the bus for his pettiness.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120208/NEWS01/702079815#crying-foul-over-burke-s-pink-uniforms

Columbus Athletic Director John Krogstrand, who arrived at the game in the second quarter, said he was the one who brought the uniforms to the attention of the Discoverers coaches.
"I asked one of our assistants whether Burke had said anything ahead of time about wearing pink uniforms,'' Krogstrand said. "It was my suggestion to coach Licari to bring it to the attention of the officials."
The intent wasn't to be malicious, Krogstrand said. "It was a situation where we just asked the officials, and they called the foul.''

Also, looking at the game photograph, they are VERY light pink uniforms. I think a better response from the crew could have been "they look white to me, coach" and just go one with the game.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 11:25:56 PM by GoodScout »

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 11:22:43 PM »
Here is what I would have said.  "Coach, I have already missed several fouls in this game already.  It's not going to hurt me to miss one more.  This 'T' is one that I am missing."  If I thought I had no choice but to call the 'T', I would then dig deep to find some "unform violation" against his team and then we'd be back to square 1. 

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 09:45:08 AM »
I repeat:

"The visiting school's Athletic Director needs to get a life....And too bad the officials didn't use common sense."
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi