Author Topic: Goal-line Pylon Play  (Read 903 times)

Offline mhez141

• FAN REACTION: +0/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Goal-line Pylon Play
« on: November 04, 2023, 07:15:34 AM »
A's QB going for 2 point try.  QB rolls out to pass but tucks and runs for corner pylon.  B hits QB right at the one.  QB jumps and as he is airborne stretches ball out.  His next body part is down OOB.
Question is, as player is airborne and the ball stretched out what constituents the try good;
Part of ball crosses over pylon or does all the ball have to be inside the pylon?

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
Re: Goal-line Pylon Play
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2023, 08:55:38 AM »
A properly placed pylon is both OOB and behind the plane of the goal line.  If any part of the ball touches or goes over any part of the pylon before the runner touches OOB, it’s a TD.

This play is a prime example of why the wings need to be on the GL, but also have enough depth to allow them to accurately judge the position of the ball.

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2023, 01:53:35 PM »

NFHS differs from other codes as in NFHS "The Goal Line Extended" can only apply if the runner is ALSO touching inbounds.
Rule 2-26-3 and CASEBOOK 2.26.3

All of this can be confusing so, In 2020, Matt Sumstine made a great 19:49 minute video that explains, in depth, the difference between the Codes
It is an excellent training video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXuB1_36_d4
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline Fatso

• FAN REACTION: +8/-1
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2023, 01:40:12 PM »
I watched that youtube link you provided.  I didn't realize this one rule:  if a player is touching inbounds in either the endzone or in the field of play, and the ball crosses the goal line extended then it's a TD.  So - let's say a player catches a pass and is dragging his foot inbounds at the 2 yard line and he sticks the ball past the goal line extended it's a TD?  (even if the ball is outside the pylon at all times).   

Offline KWH

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2023, 02:34:11 PM »
I watched that youtube link you provided.  I didn't realize this one rule:  if a player is touching inbounds in either the endzone or in the field of play, and the ball crosses the goal line extended then it's a TD.  So - let's say a player catches a pass and is dragging his foot inbounds at the 2 yard line and he sticks the ball past the goal line extended it's a TD?  (even if the ball is outside the pylon at all times).

Based on your description both boxes are checked.
The goal line extended goes off into infinity if, and only if, the runner is touching inbounds (2-26-3)
If, while touching inbounds, the runner holds the ball over the Goal Line extended (2.26-3 SITUATION)

The result of the play as your described it, is a Touchdown. ^good

Respectfully Submitted;

Offline Fatso

• FAN REACTION: +8/-1
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2023, 03:12:38 PM »
Based on your description both boxes are checked.
The goal line extended goes off into infinity if, and only if, the runner is touching inbounds (2-26-3)
If, while touching inbounds, the runner holds the ball over the Goal Line extended (2.26-3 SITUATION)

The result of the play as your described it, is a Touchdown. ^good
Wild...  It said in ncaa and nfl, player would need to be touching inbounds in the endzone or goal line.  Only NFHS includes touching inbounds in the field of play also.,..
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 06:36:15 AM by Fatso »

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2023, 08:17:54 AM »

No way I'm calling this a touchdown. This is a bad interpretation of the goal line extended.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2023, 08:26:17 AM »
No way I'm calling this a touchdown. This is a bad interpretation of the goal line extended.

It's not a bad interpretation.  It's a bad rule.  The way it's shown in the video is correct.
Should have to touch the ground in the end zone to extend the GL.  I like the NFL rule the best.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2023, 10:56:51 AM »
It's not a bad interpretation.  It's a bad rule.  The way it's shown in the video is correct.
Should have to touch the ground in the end zone to extend the GL.  I like the NFL rule the best.

Yes, you are correct. I stand corrected. It'a a valid interpretation of a horribly written rule. I should not be surprised.

Offline KWH

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2023, 12:07:39 PM »

The video was created to get good conversation going as this is one of those situations which is unfortunately officiated on a Friday Night based on what the covering officials saw on TV on a Saturday or Sunday rather than basing his ruling on what the Rules Book says.
Whether you love it or hate it, it IS the NFHS Rule.

FYI, a proposed change is on the Wishlist of the gentlemen from Oahu.

Respectfully Submitted;