Author Topic: Can some help clear up my lack of understand of the Swinging Gate?  (Read 1014 times)

Offline juxone

• FAN REACTION: +1/-2
  • Always seeking a deeper understanding.
I fail to fully grasp the swinging gate. I always understood it simply in the SG if the snapper was on the end and numbered correctly he was an eligible receiver, however in trying to better understand the formation,
 A1   A2   A3   A4   A5   A6(SNAPPER)
      A7                                     A8

A9
                                            A10

I came across a review question that left me more confused..  It was as follows

In the swinging gate formation, snapper A52 is on the end of his offensive formation
when he makes a quick and continuous backward pass and the ball immediately leaves his
hand(s) and falls grounded never touching an A. This results in an illegal snap and
the ball is dead.

Is this correct? and if so why? Maybe its just my confusion over the SG that blocks my understanding.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
Re: Can some help clear up my lack of understand of the Swinging Gate?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 07:59:06 PM »
First- a formation has nothing to do with an illegal snap.  That aspect is just a distraction in the question.

2-40 defines a snap.  What, if anything, in this portion of your question would make the snap illegal- "when he makes a quick and continuous backward pass and the ball immediately leaves his hand(s) and falls grounded never touching an A." ?

Offline juxone

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 08:17:29 PM »
First- a formation has nothing to do with an illegal snap.  That aspect is just a distraction in the question.

2-40 defines a snap.  What, if anything, in this portion of your question would make the snap illegal- "when he makes a quick and continuous backward pass and the ball immediately leaves his hand(s) and falls grounded never touching an A." ?

OK sound so then my confusion was self-imposed right? I had read 2-40 1,2&3.. looking for why it would be illegal. In this case, the snap ENDS but there is nothing that does make this an illegal snap, it is just the END OF THE SNAP- Correct?

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 08:10:03 AM »
From a mechanics prospective, when a team lines up in the 'swinging gate, I ask the wing to my backside to hold at the goal line until the linemen reset. This provides TD coverage if they remain , for a play coming in their direction. IF the linemen reset, the wing should beat the big ole' Bubbas to his pipe before they make it to their positions.

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 08:36:43 AM »
I don't know the format of your question but the correct answer would appear to be FALSE.   It is not an illegal snap because the parameters of a quick and continuous backward motion have been met and it has touched the ground so it is now legal for an A lineman to pick it up.  The ball is not dead.

There is no requirement that the snapper not be an end unless they are using SKF on downs 1-3.

Offline juxone

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 11:24:37 AM »
Thanks to HLinNC and Ralph Damren, that helped clear some of my confusion up.. a bit.  tiphat:

Offline jgf6

• FAN REACTION: +6/-2
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 05:03:26 PM »
I know this was a question about the snap but in the diagram, there are 10 players. Since only 4 are lined up between the ends and are in under the exception rule, this would be a foul for "Illegal Numbering."

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 09:58:14 PM »
1) I don't think the numbers in his diagram are meant to be jersey #'s.
2) I think he forgot one.
3) The question is concerning the snap, which has nothing to do with the formation.

Offline Bubba Ump

• FAN REACTION: +4/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2022, 11:48:12 PM »
From a mechanics prospective, when a team lines up in the 'swinging gate, I ask the wing to my backside to hold at the goal line until the linemen reset. This provides TD coverage if they remain , for a play coming in their direction. IF the linemen reset, the wing should beat the big ole' Bubbas to his pipe before they make it to their positions.

If they shift back we have the U back up and cover the uncovered pipe.