Author Topic: How many players???  (Read 656 times)

Offline SCHSref

• FAN REACTION: +15/-10
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
How many players???
« on: October 16, 2022, 05:13:13 PM »
Before the rule change which states no more than 4 offensive players in the backfield, it was stated as 7 on the line of scrimmage. Was there something in the rulebook which said something along of the lines of not being able to play with less than 7 players or something like that?

We had this rabbit trail discussion during a pre-game and when they told me they could play with less than 7, i said it was impossible to pass the ball, which everyone agreed. I also told them it was impossible to legally kick off. I understand the rule which allows the opposing team to kick to the team which just scored, but curious if I just have a hole in my memory or am just going a little crazy.

Thanks
If you didn't see it, you can't call it

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
Re: How many players???
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2022, 08:10:14 PM »
There was no specified rule on how few players a team could continue to play with but practical application indicated that Team A could not go on with less than 7.  In all likelihood it would end with less than 8 as there would be no back to snap the ball so a lineman would have to go pick up the grounded ball every play.  I don't any coaches that would be that big a glutton for punishment.

Offline GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2022, 08:25:37 PM »
Before the rule change which states no more than 4 offensive players in the backfield, it was stated as 7 on the line of scrimmage. Was there something in the rulebook which said something along of the lines of not being able to play with less than 7 players or something like that?

We had this rabbit trail discussion during a pre-game and when they told me they could play with less than 7, i said it was impossible to pass the ball, which everyone agreed. I also told them it was impossible to legally kick off. I understand the rule which allows the opposing team to kick to the team which just scored, but curious if I just have a hole in my memory or am just going a little crazy.

Thanks
See 1-1-3 and 1.1.3 Situation:
"Each team must have 11 players to start, . . . but may continue with fewer."
If a team is on offense, there must be five players on the LoS.  7-2-5b

Is this the rule(s) you recall?

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2022, 08:56:43 PM »
If a team is on offense, there must be five players on the LoS.

Before 2019 it would have been seven.