Author Topic: NFL's new mechanic with U and DJ?  (Read 12459 times)

mazzamouth

NFL's new mechanic with U and DJ?
« on: August 27, 2010, 10:22:42 AM »
Any one seen the new mechanic with the Umpire standing in the Offense's backfield?.. why the change and the umpire not standing on the defense's side?..BTw Manning got a penalty called on him cause he snapped the ball and the Umpire was behind the farthest guy in the backfield.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 10:37:11 AM by Grant - AR »

Offline JugglingReferee

• FAN REACTION: +40/-15
  • Ἰησοῦς Χριστός, Θεοῦ Υἱός, Σωτήρ
Re: NFL's new mechanic with U?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 10:39:27 AM »
They want to reduce injuries to Umpires.

In some cases, such as under the 2MW, the U go es back to the B backfield.  Also on FGAs and PATs.

The QB gets a thumbs up from the HL so he knows when it's ok to snap so that he doesn't have to turn his head to see if the U is in position.  Going early is a foul, as Manning learned.

Also: this weekend, the NFL goes to 8-man crew.  Say Hello to the Deep Judge (DJ).  I think he'll be deep, and BJ may move up a tad.

mazzamouth

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 10:02:57 AM »
I wonder how many times did a Umpire get hurt in the last few years.. it just seems like a really not smart move.. seems like there will be no one to look for Holding on the defense side..and a DJ? that one does not make any sense to me... but Hey Im not a NFL official and probably never will be.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 12:07:51 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/22/sports/football/22umpire.html

A year after there were more than 100 collisions involving umpires — three sustained concussions and two others needed surgery for their injuries —

cincybearcat

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 12:23:02 PM »

Also: this weekend, the NFL goes to 8-man crew.  Say Hello to the Deep Judge (DJ).  I think he'll be deep, and BJ may move up a tad.
[/quote]

Watching a game on NFL network right now with the 8th official.  Are they going to continue to expieriment w/ this the rest of the pre-season?

Offline JugglingReferee

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 03:50:40 PM »
Watching a game on NFL network right now with the 8th official.  Are they going to continue to expieriment w/ this the rest of the pre-season?

The games in Miami, Baltimore and Carolina will have 8 man crews.  The NFL is going to experiment with them this week and 1 game next week.  Tony Steratore will be in Miami with Parry's crew. Since he is usually with Boger's crew, I'm assuming Jerome has the week off.  The 8th official will be DJ (Deep Judge) & will be in tandem with the BJ. The spacing will depend on the formation.

cincybearcat

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 04:52:09 PM »
it will be interesting to see what happens with this.  speaking as a LOS guy...I would think the biggest advantage would be on a 4 WR set...the LOS guys would not have to cover a WR...one could take the back, and the other a tackle I guess.  with all of the spread formations going on now, would be a big help.  not that I could see this coming down to college anytime soon.

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 03:14:31 PM »
Once more, in vain, I point out that the move comes because the U has always been stationed in the wrong spot - but going into the offensive backfield is creating an idiotic solution to a problem that exists because nobody's thought things through.

Or, alternately, watch a CFL game or, for that matter, a Canadian university game, and see how often the U gets munched. Answer: very rarely.

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 04:09:32 PM »
Where do you put the umpires in Canada?

Offline JugglingReferee

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 04:16:35 PM »
Umpires in Canada start 10-12 yards from the LS.  They don't immediately move to the LS on pass plays, but moving up a few yards is popular.

Instead, the read the play every time and if necessary, move up, sideways perhaps and if the play ends up dead where he started, could even just take a step backwards to let the play end.

The Pit is right.  In 5 seasons of college ball, I've seen once Umpire get hit once - and even that one was suspect to be intentional.

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 04:23:47 PM »
I was under the impression the NFL umpires had moved back to around 10 yards.

Offline JugglingReferee

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 04:33:57 PM »
Likely the difference is in the size of the field.  Our CLPA is similar to your FBZ, and we both require the same number of ineligible players in that zone.  More than likely, B has similar formations within the two styles of play.

We stopped at 12 when it came to reducing roster size, and also didn't shrink the size of our field.  Our field of play is ~ 26% larger, allowing for more open routes to be used, and therefore reducing the possibility of the U becoming an impact to the game.

Offline GoodScout

• FAN REACTION: +9/-9
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 07:46:49 AM »
Here's one team that's not appreciating the move:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/08/29/mmqb/

Offline JugglingReferee

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 09:34:44 PM »
Here's one team that's not appreciating the move:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/08/29/mmqb/

Manning, see attached.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
Re: NFL's new mechanic with U and DJ?
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 10:43:47 PM »
So with a deep judge, they go 4 wide across the defensive backfield?  SJ and FJ at the sidelines, BJ and DJ roughly at the hashes?  Or is the DJ even farther downfield than the BJ (explaining the name "deep")?

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 06:13:47 AM »
Now, I gotta be honest. I've got my knickers (snickers?) in a major knot over this, as some of my previous posts on these topics will attest.

I think it's totally bass-ackwards asinine stupid.

But I'm wondering what YOU guys think of it. Is it, at all, wise?

Offline JugglingReferee

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 06:18:39 AM »
I'm ok with the change.  I think the holds about 5 yards past the LS will be more difficult to pick up, and some of them can be tricky to get.

mazzamouth

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 07:19:44 AM »
Manning, see attached.

I will agree with Manning.. I didn't think he was whining .. but at least he was honest by saying, the Colts wouldn't have been able to come back cause the new rule takes to much time..