Author Topic: "Bucket" hats must have TASO logo  (Read 2996 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
"Bucket" hats must have TASO logo
« on: July 25, 2022, 09:42:27 AM »
Just passing along something I hadn't heard until Saturday.
While it is not breaking news that TASO approved the use of "bucket" hats for scrimmages and sub-varsity contests use (ONLY), we were reminded during the closing session of the Annual Meeting last Saturday that the "bucket" hats must have the TASO logo on them. Obviously, since hats with logos are only available through TASO authorized vendors, a black bucket hat that you may be able to obtain at a sporting goods store, golf equipment store, big box retailer, etc., won't be acceptable. Be sure you get the approved hat from a TASO authorized vendor. Also, note that at least one vendor is offering the hat without the logo. Per the direction from TASO on Saturday, hats used for TASO assignments (scrimmages and sub-varsity contests) must have the logo on them.
Also, it is each individual's choice to wear these hats. The entire crew does not have to use them. Any, all, or none. It is up to each individual.

Offline CosmoKramer

• FAN REACTION: +4/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: "Bucket" hats must have TASO logo
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 12:21:41 PM »
While it is not breaking news that TASO approved the use of "bucket" hats for scrimmages and sub-varsity contests use (ONLY), we were reminded during the closing session of the Annual Meeting last Saturday that the "bucket" hats must have the TASO logo on them. Obviously, since hats with logos are only available through TASO authorized vendors, a black bucket hat that you may be able to obtain at a sporting goods store, golf equipment store, big box retailer, etc., won't be acceptable. Be sure you get the approved hat from a TASO authorized vendor. Also, note that at least one vendor is offering the hat without the logo. Per the direction from TASO on Saturday, hats used for TASO assignments (scrimmages and sub-varsity contests) must have the logo on them.
Also, it is each individual's choice to wear these hats. The entire crew does not have to use them. Any, all, or none. It is up to each individual.

Edited to disallow possible illegal conduct
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 02:11:32 PM by Etref »

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2022, 09:27:55 AM »

What are bucket hats? I've only ever used the traditional football uniform cap in my games (except for one scrimmage I happened to work hatless, because I forgot mine).

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2022, 09:46:00 AM »
What are bucket hats? I've only ever used the traditional football uniform cap in my games (except for one scrimmage I happened to work hatless, because I forgot mine).

Go to any of the TASO authorized vendor web sites and check out the “bucket” hat each has to offer, under their football sections. The vendors have ads/links near the bottom of the TASO web site.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2022, 10:22:44 AM »
Also referred to sometimes as 'boonie' hats.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2022, 12:30:09 PM »

Offline ilyazhito

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2022, 07:32:12 PM »
What's the purpose of allowing that rather than the standard officiating uniform hat?

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2022, 08:50:22 PM »
What's the purpose of allowing that rather than the standard officiating uniform hat?

Skin cancer.

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2022, 01:33:45 PM »
Skin cancer.

Per TASO Mechanics Manual:
SECTION 2. STANDARD UNIFORM
ARTICLE 1. TRADITIONAL UNIFORM: 
It is essential that all TASO football officials dress in a consistent manner. All members of a crew must be similarly dressed.

I understand and certainly support TASO wanting to protect its officials. However I don't like the idea of mismatch outfits. I chose the word outfit because if they don't match, uniform is not applicable.

I personally think it will not be a good look at the sub varsity level when fielding 3 and 4 man crews potentially sporting 2 different variations of hats. If TASO wants to allow wearing of a bucket hat, so be it. However the verbiage in the mechanics manuals must be changed accordingly. Perhaps we'll see that in 2023?

To each his/her own but unless mandated differently, I'll continue as I've done for the last three plus decades when working SV games. I'll sport a Brooklyn style solid black cap with narrow white piping and responsibly wear SPF 50 on exposed skin.

Just my 2˘

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +6/-10
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2022, 09:58:13 PM »
FYI, the mechanics manuals are being updated and will be posted soon. This was a late change just before the State meeting.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 10:00:25 PM by bctgp »

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2022, 07:33:30 AM »
Per TASO Mechanics Manual:
SECTION 2. STANDARD UNIFORM
ARTICLE 1. TRADITIONAL UNIFORM: 
It is essential that all TASO football officials dress in a consistent manner. All members of a crew must be similarly dressed.

I understand and certainly support TASO wanting to protect its officials. However I don't like the idea of mismatch outfits. I chose the word outfit because if they don't match, uniform is not applicable.

I personally think it will not be a good look at the sub varsity level when fielding 3 and 4 man crews potentially sporting 2 different variations of hats. If TASO wants to allow wearing of a bucket hat, so be it. However the verbiage in the mechanics manuals must be changed accordingly. Perhaps we'll see that in 2023?

To each his/her own but unless mandated differently, I'll continue as I've done for the last three plus decades when working SV games. I'll sport a Brooklyn style solid black cap with narrow white piping and responsibly wear SPF 50 on exposed skin.

Just my 2˘

Get off my lawn, you whipper snappers! LOL LOL LOL

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2022, 04:57:46 PM »
Get off my lawn, you whipper snappers! LOL LOL LOL

:thumbup

Offline copedaddy

• FAN REACTION: +6/-6
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2022, 06:34:29 AM »
How about a survey of how many officials are going to do this
 yes     no      undecided   

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2022, 06:47:13 AM »

No

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2022, 09:22:32 AM »
Undecided,  but I bought one.

Offline TexasProud

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2022, 08:30:36 AM »

Undecided

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2022, 08:46:01 AM »
Undecided, not bought one yet.  Worst case, I'd have a great hat for mowing.

Offline ilyazhito

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2022, 10:05:13 AM »
I'm not in Texas, but if I were, I would say no. I would instead spend the money on sunblock.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2022, 12:42:39 PM »

You asked for it, poll now added
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2022, 07:05:04 AM »
I'm not in Texas, but if I were, I would say no. I would instead spend the money on sunblock.

Considering how hot it gets, and how long it stays hot in Texas, Black "bucket" hats don't sound kike a solution.  Light gray, with a black logo seems to make a lot more sense and might be a lot more practical and popular.

Offline texasredleg

• FAN REACTION: +0/-4
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2022, 10:26:43 AM »
Having had multiple surgeries to remove substantial pieces (of me) from my head/neck area over the years, I welcome this development.  Sunblock helps, but if you have the wrong skin, it's not an end-all/be-all.

Given that the US military has several uniform hats for use in the field (patrol vs boonie, etc.), I think the SubV kids will survive a situation where the ref crew will be wearing the same clothes--but may be wearing different headgear?

The only issue for me is that the approved "compliant" hat I purchased from Ump Junk at the Austin Rules Clinic in June--did not have the TASO logo.  I foresee a call to that vendor in my near future.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 10:31:39 AM by texasredleg »

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2022, 01:04:37 PM »
Having had multiple surgeries to remove substantial pieces (of me) from my head/neck area over the years, I welcome this development.  Sunblock helps, but if you have the wrong skin, it's not an end-all/be-all.

Given that the US military has several uniform hats for use in the field (patrol vs boonie, etc.), I think the SubV kids will survive a situation where the ref crew will be wearing the same clothes--but may be wearing different headgear?

The only issue for me is that the approved "compliant" hat I purchased from Ump Junk at the Austin Rules Clinic in June--did not have the TASO logo.  I foresee a call to that vendor in my near future.

Some of the vendors jumped the gun.  They were selling them before the board even voted.

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2022, 01:07:14 PM »
I'd like to change my vote, $32 for a hat is pretty pricey for a hat that can only be worn in subvarsity games. 

I wear a hat while mowing, but it's not a $32 one

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2022, 01:17:52 PM »

I had Mohs surgery on my nose about 4 years ago to remove skin cancer, and let me tell you, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.  They had to use a skin graft to repair it.  I'm sure being in the sun for thousands of sub varsity games over the years didn't help.