Author Topic: Horribly edited AR  (Read 516 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Horribly edited AR
« on: May 03, 2023, 02:06:24 PM »
2012 AR 6-5-3-I
I. A1 or B1 signals for a fair catch beyond the neutral zone during a kick that does not cross the neutral zone. RULING: The signals are of no consequence, since the ball did not cross the neutral zone, and the ball remains alive (Rule 2-7-1-a).

This is why I made the statement I made. I believe this AR goes back to the John Adams days. Why Redding wanted it changed is anybody's guess. As it was, this was so simple, yet fair for both teams. Although it doesn't specifically address signals made behind the NZ, if a signal made beyond the NZ is of no consequence, why would a signal made behind the NZ be of any consequence?

2022 AR 6-5-3-I
I. A1 or B1 signals for a fair catch beyond the neutral zone during a kick that does not cross the neutral zone. RULING: Any signal by Team A is ignored.  Team B may not make a fair catch signal because the ball did not cross the neutral zone.  However, the ball is dead when caught or recovered (Rules 2-8-1-a and 4-1-3-g).

This is an exceptionally poorly edited AR. It doesn't distinguish between a catch made by Team A or Team B. By this AR, the ball is dead, regardless of which team catches/recovers the ball.

So, the legally kicked ball is blocked at the NZ, and flies up in the air. B88, 20 yards beyond the NZ, makes a signal, and then A11 catches the ball behind the NZ. By all rights, A11 is expecting to advance the ball, but AR 6-5-3-I tells us that the ball is dead. Maybe it means a catch made by Team B. But it doesn't say that. John Adams would have carefully vetted every word of a proposed rule or AR, and would have avoided these contradictions.

4-1-3-g addresses signals made by Team B, but does not distinguish between where a signal is made (beyond or behind the NZ), and does not distinguish between where a catch/recovery is made (beyond or behind the NZ). By this rule, the ball is dead. If that is the way it must be for Team B, fine. Edit AR 6-5-3-I to agree with 4-1-3-g.

But, IMHO, both teams should always have the ability to advance the ball when caught/recovered before the ball crosses the NZ.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
Re: Horribly edited AR
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2023, 03:02:39 PM »
I think Rogers wanted the ball dead because if you signal for a fair catch (Team B), then everyone is going to stop.  So it makes sense to me to treat it as an invalid signal and kill it.  We don't want Team A getting into the business of "Is he 1 yard beyond the NZ or not?  Can I hit him?  Is the ball alive?"  Meanwhile the returner takes it to the house while you're trying to decide.

I don't think the AR wants us to kill it for Team A signals.  Since the AR question starts with "A1 or B1", I think the first sentence was addressing the A1 signal and everything after is addressing the B signal.  Yes, they probably could have broken it up with a) and b) subsections so there's no confusion.   
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 03:05:56 PM by bossman72 »