Author Topic: 4th down fumble rule question  (Read 1322 times)

Online dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
4th down fumble rule question
« on: October 14, 2021, 11:58:52 AM »
Working on something for a presentation for a non-official audience and need clarification on a rule.  I'm demonstrating that officials perform table top exercises, in the form of case plays and test questions, and I'm trying to show two similar plays that have very different outcomes, and the rule rationale for each.

The two plays are 4th down fumble rule plays:

4th and 2 at the 50-yard line.  QB A12 takes the snap, and hands the ball off to A34, who fumbles the ball at the A-49.  Player A76 recovers the ball at the B-46.  ruling:  B’s ball 1st and 10 at the A-49.

4th and 2 at the 50-yard line.  QB A12 muffs the snap at the A-49.  Player A76 recovers the ball at the B-46.  A’s ball, 1st and 10 at the B-46.

I am looking at rule 2-19-d: A snap becomes a backward pass when the snapper releases the ball, other than via a hand-to-hand exchange (A.R. 2-23-1-I).  Would a QB under center be considered a hand-to-hand exchange, and therefore if he does not gain possession, it is a fumble?? I don't see how that can be, it should still be a muff since a fumble requires possession first.   I'm just not understanding the hand-to-hand exchange aspect of the rule, can someone explain that?  I am sure I'm just having a derp moment.

Offline Covid 22

• FAN REACTION: +6/-11
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: 4th down fumble rule question
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 12:59:29 PM »
The answer to your question should be the answer to the question below.

Have you ever bean bagged a muffed snap?

Online dammitbobby

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 01:04:02 PM »
Nope (at least if I did it was in error and out of an overabundance of caution)

But that doesn't address the hand-too-hand aspect of the question on the rule I asked.

Offline Covid 22

• FAN REACTION: +6/-11
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 01:55:51 PM »
If the QB never gains possession, there was no exchange.   This is a muff by definition whether it is an attempt to snap the ball hand to hand, catch a shotgun snap or field a kick.   Possession is never accomplished so there can be no fumble.   The fumble rule can only be the result of a loss of possession which is a fumble and must be bean bagged.

Online dammitbobby

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 02:46:53 PM »
OK that helps clarify, thank you.  The hand-to-hand part of the rule was throwing me for a loop.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 04:12:14 AM »
Just to clarify, rule 2-19-2-d really says something like this: "A snap becomes a backward pass when the snapper's hand no longer touches the ball, unless at that time the ball is in possession of another team A player."

Online dammitbobby

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2021, 09:51:46 AM »
That is immensely helpful, thank you!