Author Topic: Question for Educators working D1  (Read 798 times)

Offline gsrc

• FAN REACTION: +85/-16
Question for Educators working D1
« on: January 16, 2024, 09:30:30 AM »
I had a question for current D1 officials who are also educators. How does your district handle your absences?

Why I ask: I am a teacher and looking into pursuing replay at the D1 level. Before going to camps and whatnot, I asked my district how it would work if I got hired and HR said I couldn't miss more than my four personal days. After that, I would "be subject to discipline for unauthorized absences."

I'm trying to gather info to share with my HR department. Thanks in advance.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Re: Question for Educators working D1
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2024, 11:28:47 AM »
I know there is at least one NFL and one D1 official who is involved in public education. For D1, Maia Chaka.  I don't have contact info for her, but she was on the Rule 11 podcast here: https://www.rule11officials.com/podcast/episode/49c36c17/conversation-69-maia-chaka-conference-usa-line-judge You can probably reach out to them and see if they will share her email/contact info with you.

Behind the Flag podcast had Tony Corrente, retired NFL official who was a HS baseball coach... you may reach out to them and see if they will share contact info.  https://behind-the-flag.com/

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2024, 02:13:35 PM »
I have a good friend who is in a similar situation.  After he uses his personal days for the year, he has to take unpaid days to travel to his games. 

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2024, 03:09:53 PM »
Therein lies the ultimate quandary for sports officials. Officials for virtually all amateur sports, and even for many professional sports, have to make the decision for themselves as to where their priority will fall, or find ways to compensate for the time away from family/occupation. For those who are not self-employed, or who may not be in a position to set their own schedule/hours, they simply have to decide whether to find other primary employment that can tolerate their absences during the season, or simply realize that higher level officiating that requires travel during otherwise normal business hours is not something their lifestyle will allow.
For most of my FBS career, I was totally blessed to have a job that allowed me to use my vacation and personal leave hours to get away from home on those Fridays (some Thursdays and Fridays). OK, sometimes I kinda ran out of those hours, but the 'blessed' part was that my 'superiors' knew what I doing, and simply looked the other way in those few instances, knowing that I made every effort to not abuse their trust and privilege, and worked hard to keep up with my work. Later, I became a partner in a business, and could come and go as needed, although I still tried hard to use vacation/personal leave, and not abuse the system that we expected our employees to follow. The other side of that coin is that I had a family that fully supported me, and knew that I would make up the 'family' time in other ways (especially by taking them with me to games, from time to time - and all bowl games). Without both of those blessings, working collegiate football would have been impossible.
I do know a few - very few - NFL officials that use the NFL as their only occupation. But, the vast majority still have other primary occupations. Obviously, they have been able to get past the time/distance obstacles that higher level officiating puts in the way.
There have been many folks I know/knew that were capable of working higher level football, in particular, but simply could not make the time/distance obligations work, and have either been happy to work high school sports, or gave up them up to focus on family and career. They are to be respected for making such a hard decision.

Major league baseball umpiring is pretty much a full-time occupation, during the season, although some umpires have regular off-season employment of one kind or another. I 'think' the same can be said for NBA, NHL, and other sports that play games almost every day of the week.

You cannot expect that your primary employer will simply let you take off at will, and retain your employment. And you certainly can not expect the sport you might want to work will change their scheduling or protocols to accommodate your primary employment and/or family. You may just have to accept that higher level officiating is just not something you will be able to do.

But, if you can make it work, what a joy it is to have the memories, the friends, and the stories you will have gained when it is all over.

Good luck!

Offline gsrc

• FAN REACTION: +85/-16
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 04:32:59 PM »
Therein lies the ultimate quandary for sports officials. Officials for virtually all amateur sports, and even for many professional sports, have to make the decision for themselves as to where their priority will fall, or find ways to compensate for the time away from family/occupation. For those who are not self-employed, or who may not be in a position to set their own schedule/hours, they simply have to decide whether to find other primary employment that can tolerate their absences during the season, or simply realize that higher level officiating that requires travel during otherwise normal business hours is not something their lifestyle will allow.
For most of my FBS career, I was totally blessed to have a job that allowed me to use my vacation and personal leave hours to get away from home on those Fridays (some Thursdays and Fridays). OK, sometimes I kinda ran out of those hours, but the 'blessed' part was that my 'superiors' knew what I doing, and simply looked the other way in those few instances, knowing that I made every effort to not abuse their trust and privilege, and worked hard to keep up with my work. Later, I became a partner in a business, and could come and go as needed, although I still tried hard to use vacation/personal leave, and not abuse the system that we expected our employees to follow. The other side of that coin is that I had a family that fully supported me, and knew that I would make up the 'family' time in other ways (especially by taking them with me to games, from time to time - and all bowl games). Without both of those blessings, working collegiate football would have been impossible.
I do know a few - very few - NFL officials that use the NFL as their only occupation. But, the vast majority still have other primary occupations. Obviously, they have been able to get past the time/distance obstacles that higher level officiating puts in the way.
There have been many folks I know/knew that were capable of working higher level football, in particular, but simply could not make the time/distance obligations work, and have either been happy to work high school sports, or gave up them up to focus on family and career. They are to be respected for making such a hard decision.

Major league baseball umpiring is pretty much a full-time occupation, during the season, although some umpires have regular off-season employment of one kind or another. I 'think' the same can be said for NBA, NHL, and other sports that play games almost every day of the week.

You cannot expect that your primary employer will simply let you take off at will, and retain your employment. And you certainly can not expect the sport you might want to work will change their scheduling or protocols to accommodate your primary employment and/or family. You may just have to accept that higher level officiating is just not something you will be able to do.

But, if you can make it work, what a joy it is to have the memories, the friends, and the stories you will have gained when it is all over.

Good luck!

I appreciate your insights and response. It's a difficult decision, that's for sure.

Offline OkieZebra

• FAN REACTION: +3/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2024, 11:23:26 PM »
Not D1 by any stretch, but a teacher.

According to the union contract, I have my two "free" personal day each year, the single "half sub deduction" day, and then the two "full sub deduction" days. Additionally, I have been known to schedule a dentist/eye doc appt first thing on a travel day and file it as a medical day, which a former administrator suggested I do.

I'm good at my subject, contribute to committees outside of my true duties, get sick rarely, leave good sub plans when I'm out. What are they gonna do, fire me? Replace me with the nonexistent pool of people banging down the door for the pay and treatment?

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2024, 10:10:02 AM »
I had a question for current D1 officials who are also educators. How does your district handle your absences?

Why I ask: I am a teacher and looking into pursuing replay at the D1 level. Before going to camps and whatnot, I asked my district how it would work if I got hired and HR said I couldn't miss more than my four personal days. After that, I would "be subject to discipline for unauthorized absences."

I'm trying to gather info to share with my HR department. Thanks in advance.

I don't work for any school nor govt, but would your boss/principal have a say (or not) regarding additional flexibility?

I ask because mon-thur I work quite hard, so much so I either dont work at all on fridays - if i do, it's until noon (basically I do 5 days of work in 4 days). - nothing "on the books" that I'm off because I meet and exceed all my production quotas/goals and my boss is quite aware im meeting my work goals and in his opinion as long as i'm meeting my production goals I can basically do as I wish.
same for dr appt for me or my kid. if i'm stepping out for an hr or so, he basically doesn't care because i'm meeting quota.
(none of this is to stuff it in anyone's face, but how my boss operates)

*Would your boss/principal be of the same mindset, or because you're a teacher is there more of a firm accountability during school days?