Author Topic: Equipment Enforcement  (Read 754 times)

Offline theride

• FAN REACTION: +1/-12
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Equipment Enforcement
« on: November 28, 2023, 04:53:30 PM »
In your respective states, is there a problem with

A) Players having the required equipment but not wearing it properly

and

B) Wearing illegal equipment during play (rubber bracelets, eye black not being worn properly, jewelry, illegal mouthpieces, etc)

If so to the above, do your officials do a good job sending players out for A until correction is made, and for B, penalizing the Head Coach with an Unsportsmanlike Foul per the NFHS Rules book, or do the officials just make them remove it without a foul, disregarding the rule in place for illegal equipment?

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
Re: Equipment Enforcement
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2023, 10:23:44 PM »
We’ve seen an increase in dangling mouthpieces since the NCAA decided to stop enforcing their rule.  Same with pants not covering the knees, or play cards worn on belts instead of wrists.  We send them out for a play.

Personally, I’ve quit worrying about rubber bands and eye black.  If a problem arises, we make them comply.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2023, 06:29:32 AM »
IMHO, the best place to catch/warn these is right after the meeting/greeting with the coaches. We send the HL to work with his chain crew, while R & LJ do a walk - thru the home team & U & BJ walk rhru the visitors. Their coaches have just verified they're all legally equiped and by reminding him that knee pads are covered for protection and eye black has a purpose, not a halloween mask.

Offline Fatso

• FAN REACTION: +8/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2023, 06:48:44 AM »
New trend is dangling mouthpiece but they have another one in their mouth.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2023, 07:29:29 AM »
IMHO, the best place to catch/warn these is right after the meeting/greeting with the coaches. We send the HL to work with his chain crew, while R & LJ do a walk - thru the home team & U & BJ walk rhru the visitors. Their coaches have just verified they're all legally equiped and by reminding him that knee pads are covered for protection and eye black has a purpose, not a halloween mask.

More and more we’re seeing teams that are warming up without their “gamers” on. We don’t see them again until the kickoff, when it’s too late to do that preventative walkthrough.

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2023, 08:28:02 AM »
New trend is dangling mouthpiece but they have another one in their mouth.

A few weeks ago, I blew a play dead right before the snap because I saw a dangling mouthpiece.  He then pointed out he had one in his mouth.

That was new to me.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2023, 08:35:42 AM »
A few weeks ago, I blew a play dead right before the snap because I saw a dangling mouthpiece.  He then pointed out he had one in his mouth.

That was new to me.

Obviously, the 2nd (dangling) mouthpiece is NOT properly secured.  Simply sending the player off the field, to correct the problem, seems appropriate and may just enforce the message of ALL player equipment being properly applied.

Offline lawdog

• FAN REACTION: +3/-17
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2023, 09:28:16 AM »

That was new to me.

Just like an injury, once you stop it for his dangling mouth piece he is out for a play.  I don't care to see another mouthpiece, its not relevant except that now I know I'm sending you off for a uniform adornment instead of not having it in.  Either way, you are gone for a play and go straighten out your stuff.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2023, 08:22:06 AM »
Just like an injury, once you stop it for his dangling mouth piece he is out for a play.  I don't care to see another mouthpiece, its not relevant except that now I know I'm sending you off for a uniform adornment instead of not having it in.  Either way, you are gone for a play and go straighten out your stuff.

Absolutely, If the problem is forgetfulness, a simple warning to correct should suffice.  If he shows you a second mouthpiece, in his mouth, he needs to be removed from the field to correct the problem,(NFHS:1-5-3) if he refuses, he is violating NFHS 9-5-1-f (Refusing to comply with a game official's request.), which is subject to a Non-contact USC  assessment. Hopefully, (usually) a positive initial response  to the official's instruction would avoid the necessity of such a remedy.