Author Topic: Black Shoes  (Read 13277 times)

Offline WVABJ1807

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
Black Shoes
« on: June 17, 2014, 08:12:58 AM »
I know this topic has been beaten to death.  IN WV we are still required to wear all black shoes.  Anyone have any ideas, other than the NB as to what to wear on the field.  Looking for a good turf shoe that I can also wear on grass.  Im not a fan of the NB because of the lack of turf sole. 

Offline dcbarisax1

• D1 NWAFOA Line Judge
Re: Black Shoes
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 08:45:25 AM »
Read, Recognize, React.

Offline FLbackjudge

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 09:14:24 AM »
Buy whatever shoe fits you comfortably, and cover the white with Leather Luster.  I used it a few years ago on Adidas shoes (both the 3 stripes and the white sides of the soles) and it lasted the entire season. It also restored an old black belt "like new" condition.  It's available at Amazon.com and other on line retailers.

Offline SD_Casey

• FAN REACTION: +8/-1
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 09:17:38 AM »
I roll with the Reebok Zig Magistrate

http://www.honigs.com/detail.asp?Item=1465&Sub=0

I only use mine on turf and use regular cleats on grass but these seem to work pretty well.

The only complaint I have is that the gripping bumps on the bottom run around the perimeter of the shoe so there really aren't any in the middle and sometimes it feels like the middle of my foot is sagging down.

Might all be in my head but I swear I can feel it.

Offline WVABJ1807

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 10:44:46 AM »
ON our crew, we don't wear cleats on grass or Turf.  To us it doesn't look professional.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 11:16:08 AM »
ON our crew, we don't wear cleats on grass or Turf.  To us it doesn't look professional.
Who's looking at the bottom of your shoes?
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline WVABJ1807

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 11:31:09 AM »
We jut don't think it looks very professional

Offline Wingmanbp

• FAN REACTION: +5/-7
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 11:50:07 AM »
I roll with the Reebok Zig Magistrate

http://www.honigs.com/detail.asp?Item=1465&Sub=0

I only use mine on turf and use regular cleats on grass but these seem to work pretty well.

The only complaint I have is that the gripping bumps on the bottom run around the perimeter of the shoe so there really aren't any in the middle and sometimes it feels like the middle of my foot is sagging down.

Might all be in my head but I swear I can feel it.
Those are the shoes our crew wears. I like them. This will be our second year with them

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 08:56:40 PM »

Unprofessional is falling on wet ground and busting your  z^ because of some silly notion that cleats are not professional.  If (and I am assuming your are in WV) your "cow pastures" are similar to ours in the mountains of NC, there are still a few around here that I will pack a pair of adidas cleats for .

I like Eastbay as a source myself but you will need to do some coloring on about anything you find.  Baseball turf shoes seem to be the closest thing to what we can use.   I have the Nike Lunar MVP Pregame in leather (seems more synthetic to me but that is what they call it)

You might stumble over some of the old Reebok NFL's or other styles on ebay.

http://www.eastbay.com/Baseball/Shoes/_-_/N-1e4ZneZa5Zba/keyword-turf?cm_REF=Black

Offline RS

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 08:27:24 AM »
Boombah (softball turf shoes) make a good all black shoe for officiating.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 10:09:24 AM »
I love my pair of Pentagons, personally.  Most comfortable shoe I've had since the year I splurged on the Reebok NFL shoes:

http://www.honigs.com/detail.asp?Item=1143&Sub=185

I have heard some great things about those Reebok Magistrates, though, and I'm leaning towards getting a pair of those this season.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 07:09:44 AM »
Tell ya what, 10 years ago it was easy to find a good pair of all black officials' shoes. 
Nowadays it's quite difficult...so much so, States have woken up to this fact and allowed for black and white.
Feel for the guys in WV and elsewhere that still have to wear all black.

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 11:42:12 AM »
Our state approved white.   Our RSO doesn't want the white midsole so I'm still coloring.

The first season the state office allowed, I bought a pair of the Reebok Zigs with the white zig sole.  Guess which shoe was first on his slide of non-approved models at the association meeting?  Turned around and ordered a pair of the all black.

That white foam material doesn't hold my traditional black permanent marker covered by liquid polish well nor long.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 12:53:01 PM »
Is it safe to assume those who insist on all-black haven't been on the field in a few years? Old habits die hard.  ::)
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 03:01:28 PM »
Is it safe to assume those who insist on all-black haven't been on the field in a few years?

In our case, never been is more accurate.

Hoops guy.

Offline Wingmanbp

• FAN REACTION: +5/-7
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 03:07:49 PM »
To our crew it looks better, and they are much easier to keep clean. We are a 3rd year crew.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 04:05:05 PM »
Is it safe to assume those who insist on all-black haven't been on the field in a few years? Old habits die hard.  ::)

Our association voted for all black.  If nothing else, it prevents the "how much white is too much white" philosophical discussion.

Not saying I agree with that decision...

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2014, 09:06:07 AM »
If nothing else, it prevents the "how much white is too much white" philosophical discussion.

Not saying I agree with that decision...

I guarantee this is why some states go with all black.  PA is still all black

Online Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2014, 10:00:18 AM »
When NFL,NCAA and some conferences opened the door, the shoe manufacturers largely did away with the all black concept.
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline HLinNC

Re: Black Shoes- ONLY ONE LEFT!!!!
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2014, 11:18:05 AM »

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2014, 09:59:28 AM »
Who's looking at the bottom of your shoes?
Slugs and stuff a' crawling in the mud.

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2014, 01:28:29 PM »
Our state approved white.   Our RSO doesn't want the white midsole so I'm still coloring.

The first season the state office allowed, I bought a pair of the Reebok Zigs with the white zig sole.  Guess which shoe was first on his slide of non-approved models at the association meeting?  Turned around and ordered a pair of the all black.

That white foam material doesn't hold my traditional black permanent marker covered by liquid polish well nor long.

I like Nike Landshark shoes. Last year to cover the white on the side of the sole I found some Liquid electric tape. It is in a brush top can. I found it at Lowes and it is even at Wal-Mart. I was not sure how it would hold up but to my suprise it lasted the whole season without any pealing.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2014, 02:46:25 PM »
Thanks, Tom.OH.  I'll check it out.  Need a supply run to WallyWorld anyway.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2014, 03:07:59 PM »
The all-black shoes just look sooo.... orthopedic

ReverendRef

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2014, 02:14:41 PM »
I like the Adidas Turf Hog shoes.  Besides the standard Adidas white logo stuff, they also make an all black version.  They tend to run small though, so you might need a half size larger than you normally wear.