Author Topic: Should we clarify our signals more ?  (Read 769 times)

Online Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Should we clarify our signals more ?
« on: October 24, 2023, 07:12:48 AM »
Earlier this season we had a chop block, I signaled #41, the PA announcer sez' : "ERR...we've got offisdes against the defense  :o ??? ^-^". I then added #41 to my list of supplemental signal # 38 - personal foul - that proceeds the signal for some rarely called fouls, such as :

#24 -illegal helmet contact, Targeting
#25 - horsecollar tackle
#26 - blindside block
#30 - roughing the kicker or holder
#34 - roughing the passer
#39 - clipping
#40 - blocking below the waist
#41 - chop block
#45 - face mask
#46 - tripping

I feel it adds  clarity to the PA so he can add clarity to the frenzed masses  :puke: tR:oLl nAnA pHiNzuP pi1eOn hEaDbAnG yEs:
A question from a scribe after the game of "ERR....,offsides.." was : "When did offsides become a 15 yard penalty ?" prompted me to make this list.  tiphat:

Do any of you do simular  :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR:

Offline hef333

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Should we clarify our signals more ?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2023, 07:24:47 AM »
A few years ago we started this: when we meet with the time keeper (I know...a rarity)...we give them the mercy rule sheet AND a copy of the officials signals...that way if they are unsure they can just look down and it tells them what we're calling....for the most part...works well :)

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2023, 07:52:49 AM »
Stadium microphone works even better. 😎
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2023, 08:16:05 AM »
Earlier this season we had a chop block, I signaled #41, the PA announcer sez' : "ERR...we've got offisdes against the defense  :o ??? ^-^". I then added #41 to my list of supplemental signal # 38 - personal foul - that proceeds the signal for some rarely called fouls, such as :

#24 -illegal helmet contact, Targeting
#25 - horsecollar tackle
#26 - blindside block
#30 - roughing the kicker or holder
#34 - roughing the passer
#39 - clipping
#40 - blocking below the waist
#41 - chop block
#45 - face mask
#46 - tripping

I feel it adds  clarity to the PA so he can add clarity to the frenzed masses  :puke: tR:oLl nAnA pHiNzuP pi1eOn hEaDbAnG yEs:
A question from a scribe after the game of "ERR....,offsides.." was : "When did offsides become a 15 yard penalty ?" prompted me to make this list.  tiphat:

Do any of you do simular  :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR:

I've done the PF signal with those infractions basically since I started, so I am in favor.  That's the NCAA mechanic too.

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2023, 11:35:18 AM »
By the book, isn't 38 supposed to come before everything on that list outside of the illegal blocks (clipping, chop and below the waist)?

I'm not opposed to adding it to the 15 yard blocking fouls, as any other blocking foul is only 10 and this helps differentiate them. The only concern I'd have is if people start to think there's a "minor" version that isn't 15 -- similar to a 5 or 15 yard facemask. You're marking off a Personal Foul Chop Block instead of just a regular one because that one was extra bad?

Unrelated, but I had a game the other week where the PA guy kept saying every holding penalty would move them back 15 yards. We only ever did 10 and he never seemed to notice...

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2023, 12:03:37 PM »
By the book, isn't 38 supposed to come before everything on that list outside of the illegal blocks (clipping, chop and below the waist)?

For some reason 38 is not listed on all 15 yard PF type contact fouls.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 12:05:23 PM by NVFOA_Ump »
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2023, 07:47:46 AM »
The crusty old veteran that taught me how to White Hat once told me:
“If you forget the signal, don’t worry. Just use #19 for 5 yards, #42 for 10 yards, and #38 for 15 yards.”

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2023, 09:15:24 AM »
The crusty old veteran that taught me how to White Hat once told me:
“If you forget the signal, don’t worry. Just use #19 for 5 yards, #42 for 10 yards, and #38 for 15 yards.”
:thumbup
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2023, 10:20:53 AM »
Stadium microphone works even better. 😎

This is the only foolproof solution. We only have a couple of schools that mic us up, but I really do enjoy it when they do. Seems like everyone else does too. At least we have the opportunity to explain what's going on. I also understand that because of the costs involved, it's not possible for many schools.

Offline sj

• FAN REACTION: +5/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2023, 09:48:52 PM »
One of my favorites was one night at a small school game we had a foul for illegal substitution and I put my hand on my chest. And the announcer says,"I don't know what that is. Illegal pledge of allegiance or something."

Offline Fatso

• FAN REACTION: +8/-1
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2023, 11:54:50 AM »
One of my favorites was one night at a small school game we had a foul for illegal substitution and I put my hand on my chest. And the announcer says,"I don't know what that is. Illegal pledge of allegiance or something."

LOL