Author Topic: Butt blocking / face tackling  (Read 11487 times)

pjsaul

Butt blocking / face tackling
« on: January 05, 2015, 09:43:39 PM »
Does anyone have videos/diagrams that explain what these two types of illegal helmet contact are?

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
Re: Butt blocking / face tackling
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 08:07:21 AM »

By rule, under NFHS:

2. Face Tackling is an act by a defensive player who initiates contact with a ball carrier with the front of his helmet.
3. Butt Blocking is an act by an offensive or defensive player who initiates contact against an opponent who is not the ball carrier with the front of his helmet.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 08:16:26 AM by VALJ »

Offline Wingmanbp

• FAN REACTION: +5/-7
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 10:28:56 AM »

By rule, under NFHS:

2. Face Tackling is an act by a defensive player who initiates contact with a ball carrier with the front of his helmet.
3. Butt Blocking is an act by an offensive or defensive player who initiates contact against an opponent who is not the ball carrier with the front of his helmet.
That face tackling is how we were taught was a form tackle in high school. Plant your facemask in his chest and drive them backwards. Granted I am from Texas lol and it was 30 years ago

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 01:16:17 PM »
Butt blocking : the shower room scene in the movie Porky's. Blubber McGirth was blocking Pee-Wee's view. It was called, I believe, by Tommy Turner. Mrs. Ballbreaker was later guilty of holding for offsetting fouls.

pjsaul

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 02:21:30 PM »
That face tackling is how we were taught was a form tackle in high school. Plant your facemask in his chest and drive them backwards. Granted I am from Texas lol and it was 30 years ago

This is kind of why I'm asking.  I would see that tackle and never have a flag, but maybe this is something I need to learn.

Also, the butt blocking diagram is strange with the upwards action implied by the arrow.  By the letter of the law, I understand it to be the same as face tackling, but just not on the ball carrier?  ???

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 02:40:52 PM »
Face tackling would be called if a player LEADS with the face into a player.  If his face happens to contact the player, that's nothing.  What's the difference?  While not stated, basically it comes down to intent.  Did the tackler intend to create contact with his face mask (which hurts the player being tackled) or was he making a heads up tackle and his face mask just happened to make contact.  It is a rare event.

Much more common is using the crown of the helmet to make contact, again (unstated) with the intent of using the helmet as a weapon.  It can be done directly (spearing) or indirectly (running your helmet up into someone's chin).

In reality, it doesn't matter.  All of them are the same foul: Illegal Helmet Contact.  Did the player use his helmet as a weapon against his opponent? Even in making a legal tackle, helmets are sometimes going to hit first.  Simple way of telling if he intended to use his helmet as a weapon: would he have made the same move if he wasn't wearing a helmet?  If yes, he wasn't using it as a weapon.  If no, he probably was.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 02:46:39 PM »
Simple way of telling if he intended to use his helmet as a weapon: would he have made the same move if he wasn't wearing a helmet?  If yes, he wasn't using it as a weapon.  If no, he probably was.

Nice, and useful, analogy.

Shoottv

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 03:07:07 PM »
Spearing has the majority of the serious life changing injuries for the player doing the spearing. Leads to compression fractures of the spine. It's one I always throw. It's not just defense, you can watch ball carriers do it too.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 09:01:28 AM »
Shoot, I was just about to point that out.  Remember that illegal helmet contact can be called on any player who uses his helmet to punish an opposing player.