Author Topic: 2019 Rule Changes  (Read 22682 times)

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: 2019 Rule Changes
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2019, 10:00:02 AM »
Per the state clinic this past weekend, Beau said we're not waiting on the down box to be ready after a 1st down. The H can drop a beanbag if he needs to, but once that ball is down by the highly mobile and agile U, we're going with the silent wind unless it's a truly unusual delay.
In the Zooom video we all got July 12 Beau said, "Once we get the down box down, we are ready for a silent wind."  So that is not the correct mechanic.  I wondered at the time.  Now we know.

It will only be an issue on really long plays for a first down.  It doesn't happen often, but we've all had games where we had to wait several times for the down box to catch up.  I foresee plays this year when the ball will be snapped on 1st down before the chain crew and box catch up, and then after the play we will take an official's TO so the HL can tell the chain crew where he wants the back stake and where he needs the box for 2nd down.  Then we will chop and wind.  Soooo much better.

Definitely a learning curve for;

rules interpreters,

the R,

the BJ,

AD's,

play clock operators,

the man on the down box.

(Note for non-Buckeyes: In Ohio clock operators and chain crews are provided by game management.  It is extremely rare for them to be officials or even retired officials.)

Offline refjeff

« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2019, 10:09:01 AM »
During our experiment we would not have the U step away until the box and/or back stake was set. Very rarely did this ever cause a delay and the H never had to place his bean bag to hold the spot. I would try to avoid that if possible.
I would like our crew to do the same thing, and there will probably be conversations at our  association meetings about it.

If it becomes a problem I would talk about replacing the box guy.
  I can think of specific games each of the last few seasons where it was a problem, and some chain crews can be stubborn about what they will do.

I'm not trying to be negative, but there will be some learning.  I am confidant most everyone will quickly adjust.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2019, 09:03:35 PM »
I've been told that we will be using the same mechanic this year as last and that is that the U stays with the ball (holding the snap) until the entire crew is ready and that includes the HL having his box man at the new series starting spot.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2019, 07:00:12 AM »
Perhaps what my crew will do on long plays is to have the U hold the ball until the box man nears the new spot before placing the ball on the ground.  We have to remember that the box can’t move too quickly, since there may be a flag down that he doesn’t see.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2019, 09:36:14 AM »
Perhaps what my crew will do on long plays is to have the U hold the ball until the box man nears the new spot before placing the ball on the ground.  We have to remember that the box can’t move too quickly, since there may be a flag down that he doesn’t see.

Is there any record of confusion, or misunderstanding, as when to start the game clock, after being directed to do so, consistently by the Referee (who is responsible to assess that ALL factors/contingencies are settled before declaring EVERYTHING is RTP) by way of a universally understood, consistent, SINGLE, signal?

Is there a better example of needlessly fixing something that ISN'T BROKEN?  

Offline UTchad

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2019, 12:28:16 PM »
As a HL I always tell the down box to wait for me to wave him to prevent them from moving in case we need to enforce a penalty. I fear with the new rule we might get some eager down box holders. Big adjustment first couple of weeks.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• High School (MA & RI)
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2019, 01:02:15 PM »
I see virtually no difference here than previous years except we now have no audible signal when the clock is wound.  The U simply needs to be over the ball, reminding the snapper as often as needed, not to touch the ball until he moves away.  The ball should:

1.  be on the ground with the U standing over it as soon as he gets it,
2.  covered with the U continuing to stand over it until,
3. the HL has the box in place, and
4. the entire crew is ready - then and only then should the U move away from the ball.

This should not be an issue and IMHO we should NEVER have a penalty here.  Don't be over thinking this, it's simple mechanical stuff.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2019, 01:16:34 PM »
As I have mulled over all the material and commentary available for this change, here and elsewhere, I agree with NV Ump.  I would much rather have a few seconds tick off than have my boxman depart his spot too early and screw up a possible enforcement.  I have also decided that I really do not wish to get in a regular habit of utilizing the "drop the bag and let the box catch up mechanic " that has been posited.  If a few more seconds tick off, so be it.

As a HL, I will continue to instruct my chain crew to hustle as usual and emphasize that to the boxman in particular.  In the games that I may WH this season, I'm going to ask my U in pre-game to not back off the ball until we get a look at the box and HL.  If we have some unusual delay, we can kill it and re-set to :25.

I'd much rather take a hit for maybe being a little slow on this than feeling pressure to rush and push all of us into mistakes.  I'm sure as the season rolls, we'll all get use to it.  I'm still not really in favor of the change for several reasons but it is what it is.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2019, 01:44:04 PM »
I see virtually no difference here than previous years except we now have no audible signal when the clock is wound.  The U simply needs to be over the ball, reminding the snapper as often as needed, not to touch the ball until he moves away.  The ball should:

1.  be on the ground with the U standing over it as soon as he gets it,
2.  covered with the U continuing to stand over it until,
3. the HL has the box in place, and
4. the entire crew is ready - then and only then should the U move away from the ball.

This should not be an issue and IMHO we should NEVER have a penalty here.  Don't be over thinking this, it's simple mechanical stuff.

You are spot on. I would say on #1 you don't need to be in too much of a hurry to place it most of the time. Be deliberate both in getting the ball back to the spot once you get it and then in placing it. Many crews will do all of this at a similar pace as you did before. Some will have a bigger adjustment if they were very slow or allowed the offense to call their play in the huddle before blowing the RFP.

I understand the anxiousness and nervousness, but if you were already a good crew with ball mechanics and tried to get the ball RFP in 12-15 seconds, the primary change you'll see is the R won't have to blow his whistle nearly as often (they ultimately LOVE this). No matter how long it takes you to be ready (unless it's a significant delay) the offense has 40 seconds from dead ball to DOG regardless. With 25-seconds even a good, consistent crew is going to have some variation on the back end of that. Average crews will have even more variation and bad crews were all over the board. Remember it's consistency on the back end of the play clock and not the front although the front will become less variable.

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2019, 02:45:58 PM »

So, while some may disagree , it is my intention to follow the recommendations from the NFHS.
NFHS General instructions for Football Line to gain crews
#12 With the 40- or 25-second play clock, it is possible the ball may be snapped prior to the down-marker indicator being set. Should this
rare situation occur, the HEAD LINESMAN shall drop a bean bag at the spot where the DOWN-MARKER INDICATOR OPERATOR shall
spot the down-marker indicator.

We have teams who coach their chain crew to intentionally sloooow dooown when strategically necessary! Just like ball boys on the field, those days ended with the 40 second clock.

For those of you saying you are waiting for the down box, the 40 second clock is running during that interval (unless you are changing that also) if it gets below 25 your need to reset it to 25.  This causes more totally unnecessary delays.
Simple put, if you follow the recommendations from the NFHS, you will get quicker chain crews and the game will move along smoother .
If you want to intentionally ignore the recommendations, your play clock is more than likely going to go below 25 a heck of a lot more than those following the recommendation.

That's my two scents
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline Magician

« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2019, 02:51:06 PM »

So, while some may disagree , it is my intention to follow the recommendations from the NFHS.
NFHS General instructions for Football Line to gain crews
#12 With the 40- or 25-second play clock, it is possible the ball may be snapped prior to the down-marker indicator being set. Should this
rare situation occur, the HEAD LINESMAN shall drop a bean bag at the spot where the DOWN-MARKER INDICATOR OPERATOR shall
spot the down-marker indicator.

We have teams who coach their chain crew to intentionally sloooow dooown when strategically necessary! Just like ball boys on the field, those days ended with the 40 second clock.

For those of you saying you are waiting for the down box, the 40 second clock is running during that interval (unless you are changing that also) if it gets below 25 your need to reset it to 25.  This causes more totally unnecessary delays.
Simple put, if you follow the recommendations from the NFHS, you will get quicker chain crews and the game will move along smoother .
If you want to intentionally ignore the recommendations, your play clock is more than likely going to go below 25 a heck of a lot more than those following the recommendation.

That's my two scents

Unless you have really slow or intentionally slow chain crews this will not be a problem. We have middle-aged drunk guys as our chain crew most weeks and we never had to reset a play clock due to a slow chain crew. 15 seconds is a LONG time for them to move into position even if they wait to make sure there are no fouls. Don't get TOO technical on the 25 second reset either. If it's 23 or 25 that the ball is ready it doesn't affect the back end or the ability of the offense to call their play. You are more likely to upset the team who wants to go faster and you are keeping them from getting set.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• High School (MA & RI)
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2019, 07:17:22 AM »
That's my two scents

Again, I don't see any issue here.  For 19 years the crews I'm working with have done this virtually the same.  U over the ball until the box is down, crew is ready, and U moves away ready for the snap.  In the rare chance that we really do impact the 40 sec play clock, we'll address that when we get there.  I'm sure we won't be "bagging the box".
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 07:23:16 AM by NVFOA_Ump »

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2019, 03:54:31 PM »
Again, I don't see any issue here.  For 19 years the crews I'm working with have done this virtually the same.  U over the ball until the box is down, crew is ready, and U moves away ready for the snap.  In the rare chance that we really do impact the 40 sec play clock, we'll address that when we get there.  I'm sure we won't be "bagging the box".

I fully understand what you have done for 19 years. I personally do the same thing.
Now the NFHS is recommending we no longer waiting for the down box.
If your state says something different then by all means do it that way. 
Out here on the left coast, We will be resolving or intentionally slow chain crew issue by following the NFHS recommendation.
There may be a few bean bags but I believe the chain crew will "get it" after the first one...
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline Magician

« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2019, 04:33:44 PM »
I fully understand what you have done for 19 years. I personally do the same thing.
Now the NFHS is recommending we no longer waiting for the down box.
If your state says something different then by all means do it that way. 
Out here on the left coast, We will be resolving or intentionally slow chain crew issue by following the NFHS recommendation.
There may be a few bean bags but I believe the chain crew will "get it" after the first one...

Hopefully you'll find the chain crew isn't as slow as you thought or they'll move a little quicker. They don't have to go at any crazy break neck speed. Unless someone gets in their way at the box person should have no problem getting to the first down spot well before any bean bag has to be dropped. We have mostly older adults who came form the local watering hole as our chain crew so they are far from professional. If we ever had to reset the play clock due to a slow chain crew I don't remember it.

Offline BG5

• FAN REACTION: +6/-1
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2019, 10:54:34 AM »
Does anybody have a link to the powerpoint for these rule changes?  I cannot find them anywhere

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2019, 11:36:35 AM »

Offline refjeff

« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2019, 08:25:30 PM »
3.5.6   "If repair of equipment without the assistance of a team attendant delays the ready-for-play for more than 25 seconds..."

It seems that a couple of times a year I delay my chop so a player can tie his shoe.  How are we handling that with the 40 sec. clock?

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2019, 08:28:58 PM »
If it’s A im letting him tie his shoe while the clock ticks. Same way with B as long as he’s not disadvantaged. If I see they may snap it before he gets done, administrative stop, back to 25. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk