Author Topic: 2022 Rules Change - Changing Balls  (Read 2856 times)

Offline SCHSref

• FAN REACTION: +15/-10
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
Re: 2022 Rules Change - Changing Balls
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2022, 11:02:39 AM »
Then you are not very efficient in your duties.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are definitely entitled to your opinion. I'm fine with that. Followed the rules. If mechanics suggest it, then that will be followed as well.
If you didn't see it, you can't call it

Offline SCHSref

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2022, 11:08:19 AM »
This is really not the mountain you are trying to make it out to be. Marking the ball is a very good mechanic to make sure the rules concerning legal game balls is applied. What’s your problem?

I just brought something up for discussion. Never once did I ask what someone's problem was if they marked the football. Curious as to why they do it. That's all.

I believe it is important to know what is in the rules and isn't. If it isn't in the rules, then whatever we do is subject to criticism and it might be valid...each situation would tell us that. I've never rated anyone down because they put their initials on the football. When they do, I've never seen the umpire check the ball when it is brought in to him. Again, I get WHY it's done...it's just not necessary. One could, and has, make the argument they believe it is a good practice. I'm fine with that. Doesn't make it a requirement unless specifically stated in rules or mechanics manuals. It's just something someone chooses to do.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2022, 01:21:15 PM »
Are you suggesting we don’t mark the footballs? If so, what do you suggest we do to ensure the Umpire knows that the ball coming is has been approved by the Referee?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You still haven’t answered my question.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2022, 01:22:40 PM »
I just brought something up for discussion. Never once did I ask what someone's problem was if they marked the football. Curious as to why they do it. That's all.

I believe it is important to know what is in the rules and isn't. If it isn't in the rules, then whatever we do is subject to criticism and it might be valid...each situation would tell us that. I've never rated anyone down because they put their initials on the football. When they do, I've never seen the umpire check the ball when it is brought in to him. Again, I get WHY it's done...it's just not necessary. One could, and has, make the argument they believe it is a good practice. I'm fine with that. Doesn't make it a requirement unless specifically stated in rules or mechanics manuals. It's just something someone chooses to do.
My Umpire looks for the mark on every football that comes in. We’ve thrown some out during the game that came in unmarked. Maybe not everybody is like you.

Offline SCHSref

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2022, 03:04:19 PM »
You still haven’t answered my question.

I did

Offline SCHSref

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2022, 03:07:52 PM »
My Umpire looks for the mark on every football that comes in. We’ve thrown some out during the game that came in unmarked. Maybe not everybody is like you.

That's really cool that they do. My main position isn't R.

I actually like your posts. I know you know the rules. Hope you have a good Friday game.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2022, 06:39:32 AM »
The rationale behind the rule change came with the advent of the 40" clock. Wings would ask the ballboy (gender neutral) for a new ball on a long incomplete pass and send the kid on a journey to fetch the arrant pass. Technically the  P_S wings were in violation  P_S as only the referee  8] could ask for a new ball  P_S. Now they can. A team can only ask for a new ball if the old one resembles a mud cake or if there is a new series. A PAT following a TD is not considered a new series UNLESS it was a TD after change of possession.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2022, 07:28:16 AM »
We’ve done that for years, even before the :40. Never thought about the fact we were breaking the rules. We were just trying to make the game so as smooth as possible. So technically, if we had a long pass out of bounds, the WH could have yelled to the wings, “bring in a new ball,” and we would have been legal?

Or, would there be any way to “pre-approve” bringing in a new ball? Something along the lines of a pregame statement: “Ok guys, if we have a long pass out of bounds tonight, I’m pre-approving a new ball being brought in.”

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2022, 01:05:18 PM »
Our state takes a somewhat different view of ball-changing and ball boys.

It’s the opinion of our PTB that allowing ball boys to run balls in after every play is good, in that it gives more young kids a chance to feel like a part of the team and keep them interested in playing when they get to high school.

It’s also the opinion of our PTB that changing balls after every play doesn’t affect the competitive balance of the game, and isn’t a hill worth dying on, even if may be a technical violation of the rules.

I personally would rather have the ballboy give the new ball to a wing and let us triangle it in, but they didn’t ask me, so....