Author Topic: 2022 Rules Change - Changing Balls  (Read 2880 times)

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
2022 Rules Change - Changing Balls
« on: November 03, 2022, 02:02:39 PM »
Given that any official can now authorize/request a change of the ball and guidance that seems to becoming more widespread are we becoming more attentive to inspecting and marking acceptable game balls?

And if we are not delaying play while changing balls do we allow a kicker to use a “kicking ball” if it is preinspected and marked prior to the start of the game?

Have been watching some NFHS games on YouTube and the “kicking ball” swap seems to be getting fairly common.

What say you?
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: 2022 Rules Change - Changing Balls
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 03:04:50 PM »
Given that any official can now authorize/request a change of the ball and guidance that seems to becoming more widespread are we becoming more attentive to inspecting and marking acceptable game balls?

And if we are not delaying play while changing balls do we allow a kicker to use a “kicking ball” if it is preinspected and marked prior to the start of the game?

Have been watching some NFHS games on YouTube and the “kicking ball” swap seems to be getting fairly common.

What say you?
I’ve been officiating 30+ years, and have never had a problem with an “unapproved” ball. In my personal and somewhat humble opinion, the obsession over approved versus unapproved balls is way over the top. As a rule, we don’t exchange balls between downs, even kicking downs. Sure,if the field is wet and or muddy, we make concessions, but we play with the same ball down to down unless we have a deep pass incomplete. Then we work a new ball in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 04:31:43 PM »
I've had one ball in 28 years on the wing that was so obviously unsuitable- (slick, swollen)- that a team kept trying to hand in to me on 4th down that I threatened a flag the next time it appeared.  An assistant coach took out a pocket knife and stabbed it and that ended the problem.

Our umpires let our wings know when they need a new ball.  We also get a new ball on long incompletes and if a ball is down in the side zone.  A ball presented as "our kicking ball" is normally taken to the quarterback, if he says he'll play with it, we'll put it in the rotation.  If he says no, then we won't accept it.

All the rule change did was codify what most of us have been doing anyway.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 04:35:11 PM by HLinNC »

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 04:39:12 PM »
I've had one ball in 28 years on the wing that was so obviously unsuitable- (slick, swollen)- that a team kept trying to hand in to me on 4th down that I threatened a flag the next time it appeared.  An assistant coach took out a pocket knife and stabbed it and that ended the problem.

Our umpires let our wings know when they need a new ball.  We also get a new ball on long incompletes and if a ball is down in the side zone.  A ball presented as "our kicking ball" is normally taken to the quarterback, if he says he'll play with it, we'll put it in the rotation.  If he says no, then we won't accept it.

All the rule change did was codify what most of us have been doing anyway.
Agree completely. Especially with the last statement.

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2022, 06:18:19 AM »
The rule change codified what our crew has always done.  I am the R, I have never switched out the ball. 

Rule Book 1.3.2  Each team brings out the approved ball they want to use for a free kick or to start of a series.

Case Book 1.3.3  A/K is not entitled to switch in a "kicking ball" for scrimmage kicks.  Our crew does not allow it. 

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2022, 07:19:10 AM »
The rule change codified what our crew has always done.  I am the R, I have never switched out the ball. 

Rule Book 1.3.2  Each team brings out the approved ball they want to use for a free kick or to start of a series.

Case Book 1.3.3  A/K is not entitled to switch in a "kicking ball" for scrimmage kicks.  Our crew does not allow it.

Even before the new rule, allowing ANY official to reject a replacement ball, a replaced ball has to pass through,  likely a couple of Officials hands, before getting into play (Wing Official, Umpire). If any of those hands didn't/doesn't like the way the new ball feels (pressure, surface, etc.) they should have ALWAYS been rejected and sent right back out.  The old nonsense about special balls being snuck in to accommodate "special" pro QBs was likely nonsense, as multiple pro Officials get to handle (squeeze, touch) any ball on it's way from sideline to actual play.  If the ball doesn't feel right, it shouldn't get in.

ANY ball, waiting on a sideline to get used, can lose pressure all by itself.  The best protection against using a deficient ball, is STILL the game Official's hands passing it from the sideline to being placed RFP.

Offline SCHSref

• FAN REACTION: +15/-10
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2022, 09:51:31 AM »

What say you?

Why do you "mark" a ball?
If you didn't see it, you can't call it

Offline MAFBRef

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
  • Make every game a great game. And, don't get hurt
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2022, 11:10:05 AM »
The mark signifies the ball was examined and tested for pressure prior to the game and found to in conformance with the rules.  That's why, the later in the  season, the more initials or other markings you will find on the ball.

Offline SCHSref

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2022, 11:39:38 AM »
Maybe...but the markings are not required by the rules.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2022, 12:47:22 PM »
Are you suggesting we don’t mark the footballs? If so, what do you suggest we do to ensure the Umpire knows that the ball coming is has been approved by the Referee?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SCHSref

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2022, 02:28:25 PM »
Are you suggesting we don’t mark the footballs? If so, what do you suggest we do to ensure the Umpire knows that the ball coming is has been approved by the Referee?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many footballs must be approved by rule?

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2022, 03:40:35 PM »

1-3-ART. 2 ... Each team shall provide at least one legal ball to the referee at the time the game officials assume authority for the contest. Only legal balls approved by the referee may be used during the contest.

A team can submit as many as they want.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• High School (MA & RI)
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2022, 05:21:16 PM »
Maybe...but the markings are not required by the rules.

We'll disagree with that.  without marking the "approved ball(s)" there is no way to verify the fact that they are legal under the rule.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2022, 05:33:17 PM »
At least one.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2022, 05:34:53 PM »
Are you going to answer my question?

Offline SCHSref

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2022, 09:33:47 PM »
We'll disagree with that.  without marking the "approved ball(s)" there is no way to verify the fact that they are legal under the rule.

I just usually inspect them at pre-game.

Offline SCHSref

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2022, 09:34:56 PM »
Are you going to answer my question?

I’m not suggesting that anyone mark or not mark them. There is no rule requiring that it is done. I understand why people do it, but it’s more of a preference than anything else

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2022, 10:40:33 PM »
There is no rule requiring that it is done. I understand why people do it, but it’s more of a preference than anything else

There is no rule we mark the midpoint on the chains yet we do it to ease administering the game.  There is no rule that says I give the outside receiver my foot to mark his limit for being on his side of the LOS but it sure saves needless encroachment fouls.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• High School (MA & RI)
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2022, 06:15:11 AM »
I’m not suggesting that anyone mark or not mark them. There is no rule requiring that it is done. I understand why people do it, but it’s more of a preference than anything else

So when you inspect and approve 1 or more game balls you don't verify later as balls are being swapped in and out that it's a pre-approved ball?

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2022, 01:11:35 PM »
I do. If it is not a marked ball, I send it out. If a marked ball gets lost and I get a different ball, I mark it if it meets the rules requirements.

Offline SCHSref

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2022, 01:32:13 PM »
There is no rule we mark the midpoint on the chains yet we do it to ease administering the game.  There is no rule that says I give the outside receiver my foot to mark his limit for being on his side of the LOS but it sure saves needless encroachment fouls.

That’s mechanics versus rules

Offline SCHSref

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2022, 01:32:55 PM »
So when you inspect and approve 1 or more game balls you don't verify later as balls are being swapped in and out that it's a pre-approved ball?

Nope

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2022, 02:13:18 PM »
Ok, so marking a ball is a mechanic.  No one ever said it was a rule to begin with.

Strange hill you're choosing to die on.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2022, 05:00:07 PM »
That’s mechanics versus rules
This is really not the mountain you are trying to make it out to be. Marking the ball is a very good mechanic to make sure the rules concerning legal game balls is applied. What’s your problem?

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2022, 05:00:56 PM »
Nope
Then you are not very efficient in your duties.