Author Topic: High School Inadverten Signal  (Read 18108 times)

waltjp

Re: High School Inadverten Signal
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 11:00:24 AM »
Try looking at S12 Walt.

I know the signal for an inadvertent whistle.  I don't believe that's what was being asked.

Offline Bob M.

• FAN REACTION: +98/-20
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2010, 02:47:02 PM »
REPLY: I'm assuming that BigEastLJ asked the question because the NCAA rules do indeed recognize an 'inadvertent signal' and does treat it exactly like they would an inadvertent whistle.
Bob M.

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2010, 08:25:17 AM »
For those of you that always want to throw out 1-1-6, this may be the time to do it.  The official made a call to which at least some players reacted and stopped playing.  How can you, in equity, now say, "Sorry, that call doesn't matter."

The referee has authority to rule promptly, and in the spirit of good
sportsmanship, on any situation not specifically covered in the rules. The ref -
eree’s decisions are final in all matters pertaining to the game.

The referee decided that the "inadvertant signal" caused play to stop, even though there was no inadvertant whistle.  In the spirit of good sportsmanship, the referee decides to treat the inadvertant signal the same way he would treat an inadvertant whistle.

So, AB, if your team were on defense in this "end of game (backward pass)scenario", and thought you had just scored the winning TD, you'd be "okay" with the subsequent "referee's decision" to disallow it?  I'd think even God would be chased to the locker room....

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2010, 09:55:26 AM »
So, AB, if your team were on defense in this "end of game (backward pass)scenario", and thought you had just scored the winning TD, you'd be "okay" with the subsequent "referee's decision" to disallow it?  I'd think even God would be chased to the locker room....

In the heat of the moment, of course I would be upset.  But logically (which admitedly, doesn't always occur during games), if players react to the "inadvertant signal" and stop playing, then yes, I think it should be treated just like an inadvertant whistle.

After all, in this play, had the offense not stopped playing when they saw the signal, how likely would we have been to score a TD anyway?

Don't confuse a coach's rant during a game with how he really feels about the call.  Many a call that is complained about during a game is admitted to be a fair one afterward.  Face it, we aren't unbiased while coaching!

But - after after I calm down and I watch the film and I'm STILL complaining, then listen, because there's a good chance you missed that one!

Online bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2010, 07:42:59 AM »
Don't confuse a coach's rant during a game with how he really feels about the call.  Many a call that is complained about during a game is admitted to be a fair one afterward.  Face it, we aren't unbiased while coaching!

But - after after I calm down and I watch the film and I'm STILL complaining, then listen, because there's a good chance you missed that one!

Hell, if I can see a film even I might admit we missed it!

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2010, 03:34:19 PM »

The part I don't get, is why do coaches think they are entitled to rant about anything?  A coach can question, dispute, ask for an explanation but isn't he supposed to behave like a rational adult and be civil?  Do you really believe ranting gains you anything?  Do you really think I'm going to be more attentive, more serious about what I'm doing because someone screamed at me?  Do you treat someone more favorably when they berate you? 

If I didn't see "that" hold, or your film suggests something I called didn't actually happen, what do you hope to accomplish by "still complaining" after viewing it on film?  Is something going to change?  Will the decision be reversed?   I totally understood before the game began, that I would most certainly be somewhat less than absolutely perfect but was committed to being the best I possibly can be. Aside from an incorrect ruling about something, whereas pointing out my mistake can help me avoid repeating it, what is the benefit of, a coach,  pointing out that I missed a call?

Of all the "ranting" that's ever taken place on your sideline, how many times has it accomplished something, anything positive?

LarryW60

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2010, 09:32:35 AM »
A ranting coach accomplishes something, but it's not positive.  A ranting coach incites the fans, putting the official's safety at risk.  It's the ultimate in childish irresponsibility.

I don't know. Maybe the coach feels his job security is improved if he shows the AD he's passionate during the game? ^no

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2010, 11:05:55 AM »
Come on Al and Fad; give AB a break. 

His reply was mostly a tongue-in-cheek reply to my tongue-in-cheek comment about being okay with stopping the play (or reversing an aparent touchdown) because of an erroneous signal.

AB is one of the few coaches I WOULD listen to......probably

jjseikel

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2010, 07:18:35 PM »
Who really cares whether a coach is ranting or not? Why should we even pay much attention to such racket? As a game official, I will simply ignore this type of noise and continue to perform my duties. By continuing to whine, a coach as effectively taken himself out of the game mentally. Ignoring him makes him appear rather silly as he ends up basically talking to himself.

LarryW60

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2010, 02:09:54 PM »
Jay, I agree with you up to a point.  If the ranting starts getting personal, however, I will get it stopped.  If it's an assistant coach doing the ranting, I will warn the head coach that his assistant is about to cost his team 15 yards.  That usually resolves the issue without a flag.  If it's the head coach doing the ranting, then I've had less luck with the warning and had to flag more often.

If the ranting deals with the crew's integrity, then the flag is dropped with no warning.