Author Topic: Any Movement Toward...  (Read 505 times)

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
Any Movement Toward...
« on: March 02, 2024, 06:33:39 AM »
...allowing electronic communications devices in NFHS?  NCAA has proposed the NFL rule of one on both offense and defense.

NFHS baseball now allows one-way electronic communication for calling pitches.

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Any Movement Toward...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2024, 03:10:34 PM »
I have no insider information, but I personally would vote against it for a couple reasons.

Most notably, there's a bit more of a divide between the Haves and Have Nots as far as resources go in high school. I've worked games where teams have multiple iPads, fancy encrypted headsets and TVs on the sideline for showing game film live... and a lot more teams where they're lucky to have a bus to get to the game. Allowing it is one thing, but I don't want to encourage the arms race between such schools.

The other reason I'd vote against it is that this becomes something we have to monitor. Current sideline technology is allowed *on the sideline*. If an iPad wanders on to the field, that's pretty obvious. The logistics of allowing this on the field, and enforcing it, will be.... let's just say inconsistent. Okay, only one helmet with a sticker on the field is easy enough... but we have to verify that the helmet with the sticker is the one with the radio, and there are no radios in helmets without stickers. What happens when that helmet gets damaged, can they have a backup radio helmet? Can multiple offense/defense players have radios as long as they don't play at the same time? What if the QB also plays CB, but coach wants the LB to have the defensive earpiece?

With NFL and NCAA level resources, this is doable. With 5 guys who arrive at the game an hour before kickoff coming straight from work... like I said, it'll be inconsistent.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2024, 07:44:10 PM »
I'd say no due to cost, but you guys got regular season replay in Alabama (I think?), so that doesn't seem to matter down there.  lol.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2024, 08:18:42 AM »
I'd say no due to cost, but you guys got regular season replay in Alabama (I think?), so that doesn't seem to matter down there.  lol.

Football has worked pretty well, with both teams limited to the same "advantages".  Allowing teams "special advantages" that may not be equally available to opponents, has yet to prove to be a worthwhile practice.  "When it ain't broke", creative fixing (for fixing sake) doesn't help.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2024, 08:40:11 AM »

Despite all the hoopla when it was first approved, I think there are only a couple of schools that use IR during the regular season.  Everyone else quickly figured out that one press box camera and one EZ camera don’t give a very good look at the types of plays that are normally ripe for replay.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2024, 06:40:20 AM »
I have not seen any movement in that direction. Rule 1-7 (the state's rights rule) allows IR in post season games. Maine doesn't....does yours ?