Author Topic: Question?  (Read 896 times)

Offline sczeebra

• FAN REACTION: +4/-7
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Question?
« on: January 06, 2024, 06:00:18 AM »
4th and 10 from K’s 5. K’s punt is high and comes down at K’s 18 where R42 muffs the kick and it rolls into K’s end zone where K22 recovers and is downed there. What is the result of the play?

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Re: Question?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2024, 06:39:28 AM »
Assuming the kick was still airborne when muffed, you have a safety. A new force by R cannot be added until the kick has reached earth. Treated the same as a blokced punt bouncing back into K's EZ.

Offline sczeebra

• FAN REACTION: +4/-7
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2024, 07:40:35 AM »
This is one of the most missed questions on a lot of tests across the country. The rule which confuses myself concerning this question is 5-1-3f, which awards the team in possession a new series.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2024, 08:07:36 AM »
This is one of the most missed questions on a lot of tests across the country. The rule which confuses myself concerning this question is 5-1-3f, which awards the team in possession a new series.

Technically, it still applies. The only problem for K is the series is awarded in their own endzone..

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2024, 07:20:10 AM »
Assuming the kick was still airborne when muffed, you have a safety. A new force by R cannot be added until the kick has reached earth. Treated the same as a blokced punt bouncing back into K's EZ.

I’ve always had a problem with this when the muff occurs past the LOS.  K has done nothing wrong, yet is penalized for R’s misplay.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2024, 10:13:04 AM »
I’ve always had a problem with this when the muff occurs past the LOS.  K has done nothing wrong, yet is penalized for R’s misplay.
In my 30+ years on the rules Committee, I don't recall this ever coming up. Whenever I think of this play, i recall an event from daze of a 'wide-eyed' wing....

SCENE : late in an already decided game, K was punting from their own 5. The crusty ole' ref was always grumpy on a good day.

(1) Punt was blocked and bounced thru K's EZ;
(2) Ref brings ball out to K's 20 (so far so good 8]);
(3) Ref then signals touchback  :o;
(4) Ref then signals 1st & 10 for R  :o :o ;
(5) Game ends shorly thereafter  :!#.
(6) On the way home -and after a few beers- I get up the nerve to ask ole' Ref : "Sir, why wasn't that a safety  ??? ?".
(7)He gruffly responded : "Because I don't like to F@#$ WITH KICKOFFS  :puke: ."
(8) i HAD MY ANSWER  yEs:.

Offline Fatso

• FAN REACTION: +8/-1
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2024, 12:53:05 PM »
If K would've recovered the ball before it entered the endzone it would be K ball 1st and 10.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2024, 02:40:15 PM »

A key differential, easy to remember, thanks.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2024, 10:04:53 AM »
So a slight variation on the original play:

4th and 10 from K’s 5. K’s punt is high and comes down and bounces forward at K’s 18 where R42 running hard toward the bouncing ball and attempting to secure the ball on the 1st bounce, muffs the kick with the ball bouncing of his facemask and it rolls back into K’s end zone where K22 recovers and is downed there. What is the result of the play?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 09:11:14 AM by NVFOA_Ump »
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2024, 10:34:51 AM »
So a slight variation on the original play:

[/size]4th and 10 from K’s 5. K’s punt is high and comes down and bounces forward at K’s 18 where R42 running hard toward the bouncing ball and attempting to secure the ball on the 1st bounce, muffs the kick with the ball bouncing of his facemask and it rolls back into K’s end zone where K22 recovers and is downed there. What is the result of the play?
Touchback, R added a new force.