Author Topic: NCAA Rule Changes - PROP Approval  (Read 1264 times)

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
NCAA Rule Changes - PROP Approval
« on: April 21, 2023, 02:21:43 PM »
https://www.ncaa.org/news/2023/4/21/media-center-football-timing-rules-approved-for-divisions-i-ii.aspx

Looks like most of the changes have been approved.  The change to no longer stop the clock on first downs apparently has been approved for D1 and D2 but has been sent back to the committee for further review for D3.

Offline Snapper

• FAN REACTION: +14/-2
Re: NCAA Rule Changes - PROP Approval
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2023, 05:32:10 PM »
https://www.ncaa.org/news/2023/4/21/media-center-football-timing-rules-approved-for-divisions-i-ii.aspx

Looks like most of the changes have been approved.  The change to no longer stop the clock on first downs apparently has been approved for D1 and D2 but has been sent back to the committee for further review for D3.

Interesting.  Thanks.

I personally don't like that new rule anyway as the game length issue isn't with the timing rules.  But I don't recall them ever sending a rule back for one division to be reviewed.

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2023, 10:12:27 AM »

What does this mean? Will Division 3 games still follow the usual timing rules this season?

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2023, 09:55:56 AM »
I was told that the reason for D3 keeping the existing rule, and not following D2/D1, is because those divisions have media timeouts, and D3 does not, so even though average play counts are roughly the same, the game length is somewhat longer due to that. 

Maybe everybody else already knew that, it didn't occur to me though.

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2023, 10:23:37 AM »
I was told that the reason for D3 keeping the existing rule, and not following D2/D1, is because those divisions have media timeouts, and D3 does not, so even though average play counts are roughly the same, the game length is somewhat longer due to that. 

So D3 thinks game length was the reason for the change.  The original reason for the change was for player safety to drop some of the play counts so players have less exposure.

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2023, 10:24:41 AM »

To be clear, it isn’t a rule thing that they don’t typically have media time-outs. The media T/O rules apply to them, just as with FCS/FBS. It is simply that they are rarely on live-TV. I’m sure many of them have radio broadcasts, which often require extended media time-outs - allowed by rule - but nowhere near the amount of TV time-outs. A radio T/O may only be 75-90 seconds - not the 150 seconds (or more) for a ‘standard’ TV break (4 per period) in FBS football. And 180 or more between periods.
No, I am not surprised D3 doesn’t want the running clock on first downs inbounds.

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2023, 10:28:01 AM »
So D3 thinks game length was the reason for the change.  The original reason for the change was for player safety to drop some of the play counts so players have less exposure.

Jason, if you believe this is really a player safety issue, check your medications. This is nothing but another way to reduce real-time length of games, for TV. Will NCAA administrators fully admit that? Not as long as TV is paying the bills. But that is the driving force.

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2023, 10:32:03 AM »
Jason, if you believe this is really a player safety issue, check your medications. This is nothing but another way to reduce real-time length of games, for TV. Will NCAA administrators fully admit that? Not as long as TV is paying the bills. But that is the driving force.

I don't disagree.  Was just pointing out that was how they were trying to get this through.  I guess they didn't stand their ground with D3.

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2023, 12:02:27 PM »
I don't disagree.  Was just pointing out that was how they were trying to get this through.  I guess they didn't stand their ground with D3.

OK. Sorry. I didn't mean to be disrespectful. Just any mention (by NCAA admins) of player safety related to these timing changes is just smoke screen. Have a great day. I'll need to get you scheduled to come and visit us in August (Maybe August 21).

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2023, 02:30:47 PM »
From all the stories I have read , it appears D-III is going to have their own rulebook at some point.  I suspect it will parrot the regular book to large extent. Will make the UIL rules exception process interesting