Author Topic: Illegal Return  (Read 4043 times)

will27

Illegal Return
« on: July 30, 2014, 07:27:35 PM »

What the heck is this?

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: Illegal Return
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 07:32:52 PM »
Can you be just a tad bit more specific?
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

will27

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 09:09:58 PM »
I saw it referenced in The Illustrated NFL Playbook, in the Rules section which was written by Norm Schachter.
It was listed in the summary of (5 yard) penalties.

Couldn't figure it out.
A few brief mentions on the Web, but nothing more descriptive.

Online Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 01:43:38 AM »
"For illegal return of a suspended player: Loss of five yards from the previous spot if discovery is made while the ball is in play, or five yards from the succeeding spot if discovered between downs, in which case the ball remains dead."

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 07:50:59 AM »
I saw it referenced in The Illustrated NFL Playbook, in the Rules section which was written by Norm Schachter.
Norm Schachter has been dead for 10 years come this October.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

will27

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 03:57:05 PM »
Illustrated Playbook was a booklet published by the NFL throughout the 80's (I had the 1988 edition); Sid Gillman and Bill Walsh also
wrote chapters.

What I think he was referring to is when a player signals for a fair catch and then runs with the ball.
It's a 5 yard delay of game penalty.

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 04:22:51 PM »
I would not put a whole lot of stock into a book that was written 20-25 years ago. Lots of rules have changed.
- Vince Lombardi