Author Topic: Defense can't decline penalty  (Read 21322 times)

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
Defense can't decline penalty
« on: August 16, 2012, 10:13:02 AM »
I learned a new rule today.

Play: 4th and 10 from A's 1 yard line. 3:00 left in 4th quarter. Score tied. Punter A1 receives snap, defensive players too close to punt, all over him, he decides to throw ball away to avoid safety. Flag thrown for intentional grounding.

Defensive coach (Team B) wants to decline the penalty and take the ball on the 1 to try and score a field goal or touchdown (and take time off the clock). He does not want a safety and be only up by 2 points giving the other team an opportunity to win the game on a field goal.

However, Even if Team B declines the penalty, this is a SAFETY as an illegal pass in the end zone is treated like a running play for some odd reason in NFHS (8-5-2c). College is different, the penalty can be declined and Team B can take over at the previous spot.

This is just so dumb. Why does the NFHS do this to us? If we MISSED the call by not throwing a flag, it's an incomplete pass, but by THROWING the flag, we changed how the play is called WITHOUT a flag. It makes very little sense.

mbyron

Re: Defense can't decline penalty
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 10:32:46 AM »
I'm not sure you're reading 8-5-2c correctly. The operative phrase is that it's a safety when A "...throws an illegal forward pass from his end zone and the penalty is declined in a situation which leaves him in possession at the spot of the illegal pass and with the ball having been forced into the end zone by the passing team."

As I read your play, the bolded condition of this clause is not met. Specifically, the result of this play, an incomplete (illegal) pass, would NOT leave him in possession at the spot of the illegal pass, but rather return him to the previous spot. And loss of down would turn the ball over.

Declining the penalty would give the ball to B, 1/10 from the A1.

8.5.2D is not quite the same play, but it references 8-5-2c.

Quote from: 2012 NFHS Football Rules
8.5.2 SITUATION D: Fourth and 15 for A from its own 8-yard line. A1 is in punt formation and receives the snap in his end zone, but fumbles the ball. A1 ­quickly recovers and throws a forward pass to ineligible A2, who is also in the end zone. A2 muffs the ball and it falls incomplete.

RULING: If B accepts the penalty for A2's illegal touching, it results in a safety. If B declines the penalty for the foul by A2, the result is B's ball first and goal from A's 8-yard line. (5-1-3c; 7-5-13 Penalty; 8-5-2c; 10-5-6)

Offline bbeagle

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 11:59:20 AM »
Part I of the 2012 Football exam has this question:
85. If A1 is in his own end zone when he intentionally grounds an illegal forward pass, it is a safety even if B declines the penalty. TRUE

The words 'in a situation which leaves him in possession at the spot of the illegal pass' means that the pass is incomplete (A's ball at the end of the down - illegal pass treated as a running play, NOT a loose-ball play). End of the run is the spot of the pass.

Page 169 of Football Rule Differences 2012:
If the ball is intentionally grounded from team A's end zone:
NFHS: The result is a safety whether the penalty is accepted or declined. Since the ball belongs to the passing team at the spot the pass was thrown and the down counts, team B does not have an option to take the ball at some other spot (7-5-2 Pen, 7-5-3, 8-5-2c)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 12:04:11 PM by bbeagle »

Offline bbeagle

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 12:07:32 PM »
7-5-3 If the penalty for an illegal forward pass is accepted, measurement is from the spot of such forward pass. If the offended team declines the distance penalty, it has a choice of having the down counted at the spot of the incomplete forward pass or (if the illegal forward pass is caught or intercepted) of having the ball put in play as determined by the action which followed the catch.

This is new to me too. The pass was not caught, so the offended team declining the penalty has only one choice - having the down counted at the spot of the incomplete forward pass. This spot is in the endzone. Therefore, safety.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 12:09:10 PM by bbeagle »

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 01:48:13 PM »
Yes, it's a safety regardless if the penalty is accepted or declined.  If accepted, that's easy, it's a foul by A in the end zone.  But if declined, the ball is dead at the spot of the Illegal Forward Pass, which also happens to be in the end zone.

Doesn't matter, safety.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 02:18:42 PM »

This is just so dumb. Why does the NFHS do this to us? If we MISSED the call by not throwing a flag, it's an incomplete pass, but by THROWING the flag, we changed how the play is called WITHOUT a flag. It makes very little sense.

We don't "change anything" by doing our job.  If we don't see any infraction, we don't throw a flag.  If we observe and infraction, that we determine is worthy of a flag, and respond accordingly we are doing what we are on the field to do.  The result of the infraction is the total responsibility of the player(team) who committed the infraction.

In this case, a player in a scrimmage kick formation does nothing illegal attempting to throw a legal forward pass, whether it's complete or incomplete.  He is not permitted to throw an illegal pass, especially when his decision to do so is caused by the legal play of his opponent.  Should he choose to do so, he has earned the consequences of his actions, which in this case produce a Safety, whether the penalty is accepted, or not.

Offline bbeagle

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 02:57:51 PM »
We don't "change anything" by doing our job.

I'm sorry - what I meant by this is that usually there is a 'result of the play' and a 'penalty' - and our flag which usually denotes a penalty ALSO denotes the result of the play in this particular case.

I think 99% of fans would think that the 'result of the play' from an intentional grounding pass is an incomplete pass. (This is true in college and pros)

This 'result of the play' changes depending on whether we throw the flag or not. I do not know of another case in the rule book where this is true.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 03:37:58 PM »
You do realize that after the safety, A now has to free kick to B?  It's now B's job to a) run out the clock with a two point lead, b) score again and make it all moot.  It isn't the rule code's job to bail out Coach B's crappy offense.

I fail to see any major problem or inequity in the rule enforcement.  Had the IFP been thrown from the 20, B gets it there.  Can't start B's new series in the end zone so the rule is applied consistently.  Anything else and you now have the dreaded exception to the rule that NFHS doesn't wish to have.

Offline FBUmp

• FAN REACTION: +77/-38
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 05:12:51 PM »
I'm not sure you're reading 8-5-2c correctly. The operative phrase is that it's a safety when A "...throws an illegal forward pass from his end zone and the penalty is declined in a situation which leaves him in possession at the spot of the illegal pass and with the ball having been forced into the end zone by the passing team."

As I read your play, the bolded condition of this clause is not met. Specifically, the result of this play, an incomplete (illegal) pass, would NOT leave him in possession at the spot of the illegal pass, but rather return him to the previous spot. And loss of down would turn the ball over.

Declining the penalty would give the ball to B, 1/10 from the A1.

8.5.2D is not quite the same play, but it references 8-5-2c.

Illegal touching does not make the pass illegal.  In the case play you cited, the foul is by the lineman, not the passer.

The IG from the EZ is an illegal forward pass.  The ball does not return to the previous spot on an IFP.  It is a running play and the result is a safety.  There's no option.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 05:26:12 PM by FBUmp »

Offline FBUmp

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 05:17:35 PM »
I'm sorry - what I meant by this is that usually there is a 'result of the play' and a 'penalty' - and our flag which usually denotes a penalty ALSO denotes the result of the play in this particular case.

I think 99% of fans would think that the 'result of the play' from an intentional grounding pass is an incomplete pass. (This is true in college and pros)

This 'result of the play' changes depending on whether we throw the flag or not. I do not know of another case in the rule book where this is true.

First, there's nothing dumb about the rule.  It's an incomplete ILLEGAL forward pass.  The ball does not return to the previous spot on an IFP, only on an incomplete LEGAL forward pass.

Second, Don't worry about what the fans think.  No, they're not going to know the rule.  They don't know a lot of rules.

Finally, the result of the play is based on a player violating the rules, thereby committing a foul and suffering a penalty, not an official throwing a flag.  We're just officiating the game by the rules.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 07:53:59 PM by FBUmp »

Offline bbeagle

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 06:10:14 PM »
First, there's nothing dumb about the rule.  It's an incomplete ILLEGAL forward pass.  The ball does not return to the previous spot on an IFP, only on an incomplete LEGAL forward pass.

Thank you. That's an excellent explanation.

By rule, the succeeding spot on an incomplete LEGAL pass is the previous spot, and the succeeding spot on an incomplete ILLEGAL forward pass is the spot of the pass.

Why can't the rule book simplify things like this?

Offline FBUmp

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 07:52:22 PM »
Why can't the rule book simplify things like this?

Because it's the Fed.  ;D

Actually, it does.  You just have to dig a little.

7-5-5
If the pass is legal, the passing team next snaps the ball at the previous spot, unless lost after fourth down.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 06:02:53 AM »
You do realize that after the safety, A now has to free kick to B?  It's now B's job to a) run out the clock with a two point lead, b) score again and make it all moot.  It isn't the rule code's job to bail out Coach B's crappy offense.

In addition, there's no guarantee that B would score from the one even if they got it there.  We see that time and again in HS ball.

Offline bbeagle

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 10:29:10 AM »

I guess if I changed the play to:
Play: 4th and 10 from A's 1 yard line. 1:00 left in 4th quarter. Team A leading 10-7. Punter A1 receives snap, defensive players too close to punt, all over him, he decides to throw ball away to avoid safety. Flag thrown for intentional grounding.

It would make it more clear that Team B would want 1st and goal from the 1 trailing 10-7 instead of 1st and 10 from their own 40 or so (after the free kick) trailing 10-9.

ECILLJ

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 10:57:07 AM »
They don't have that option.

The reason A committed the intentional grounding was to avoid the safety. B also had the option to try and not tackle A in the end zone, but in your scenario it does not appear they chose that option.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 11:02:12 AM »
It would make it more clear that Team B would want 1st and goal from the 1 trailing 10-7 instead of 1st and 10 from their own 40 or so (after the free kick) trailing 10-9.

I'm sure they would, but that isn't an option available to them.  There are many inequities in FED rules, which I feel are written to the lowest common denominator, because they have to serve so many, and have to be officiated by those that can't dedicate the time and study that a college or NFL official can do.

I am NOT knocking HS officials!!! But as a group, we can't expect them to be at the same level of rules sophistication as NCAA of NFL officials.  There is already a shortage of HS officials today.  Make it even harder to remember all of the rule variations, and the numbers will thin even more.

And I still feel that the officials that frequent boards like this are in the minority.  It's a great minority to be in, and I commend you for trying to learn even more, but that desire for more rules knowledge is not the norm in HS officiating.  There are far more for whom it is a part time, August to November hobby.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 12:58:04 PM »
I tend to agree with AB here.  This is a poor result, since logic dictates that B *SHOULD* be able to decline the IG, and take over 1st and goal.  But, unfortunately, this is what we have to work with, unless NFHS decides to change things.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 01:54:00 PM »
logic dictates that B *SHOULD* be able to decline the IG, and take over 1st and goal

I disagree.  On any other location on the field, B would get the ball at that spot.  Since we can't give them the ball in the endzone, the safety is the result of the play or the foul.  Insuring B's alleged victory by allowing them options incongruous with the rule isn't equitable either.  B gets two points and the pretty much guarantee of possessing the ball again after the free kick.   Its their job to control the clock, score again or play sufficient defense to stop A from scoring later.

Maybe the NCAA is the odd duck in this. Why do they feel the need to make the exception?   Just because they are "bigger" doesn't necessarily make them better.

cbrunnjo

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 05:35:45 PM »
4 and 10 from A20. A is in scrimmage kick formation when the kicker receives the ball and throws the ball away into the stands at the A5.

Where is the ball next snapped from if....
a) B accepts the penalty
b) B declines the penalty

Let's see if this clears it up any. Rules to support your case please

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2012, 06:03:09 PM »
4 and 10 from A20. A is in scrimmage kick formation when the kicker receives the ball and throws the ball away into the stands at the A5.

Where is the ball next snapped from if....
a) B accepts the penalty
If you mean he threw the ball from the A5, Rule 7-5-3 tells us that the spot of the pass is the enforcement spot - with the loss of the right to replay the down.  B's ball 1/10 at A's 5 if accepted
Since there is no penalty, it simply becomes an incomplete pass; B takes over on downs and snaps the ball from A's 20. Rule 5-1-2b; 5-1-3c

Let's see if this clears it up any. Rules to support your case please

I don't see how this "clears up" the OP.  In your scenario, the EZ is not involved; so there is no "Safety" issue to be resolved.  If you're trying to use this scenario to prove the Rulesmakers should change 8-5-2, I'd try elsewhere.

cbrunnjo

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 01:49:36 PM »
Sorry - I was just taking the play to the field then progress backwards into the endzone.

Offline ThomasG

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 10:46:39 AM »
Your response, Curious, doesn't make sense to me.
If, by declining the penalty for A's illegal forward pass, "it simply becomes an incomplete pass", then this should also work in the OP with the EZ involved.  But it doesn't.  It's STILL an IFP.
If the IFP is not to be penalized because B declined, then the ball should go over to B at the A5 (spot of the IFP/end of the run).

B declining a penalty doesn't CHANGE what really did happen, it just means the penalty isn't enforced by yardage.
That's why, if B declines a distance penatly for A's USC, that A player STILL gets one counted against him and a DQ if it's his second.

In the above variation by cbrunnjo, if B accepts, they would get first and goal from the 2 1/2 (half the distance from the spot of the foul which is the A5).  If B declines, they would get first and goal from the A5 (result of the play).

You can't give B (or A) the option of saying to the officials, "we're declining it because we think it's a bad call and that IFP is now going to be treated as a legal pass."  An official called the pass illegal, and unless overruled by a subsequent discussion with fellow officials on the field, that pass is still illegal and treated as a dead ball at the spot of the pass.

ECILLJ

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 11:37:37 AM »
Thomas G  +1

Offline bbeagle

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 02:55:59 PM »

Another current thread has another case where JUST THROWING THE FLAG causes a different outcome even if the teams DECLINE the penalty.

At one time, I thought that the teams could do whatever they wanted to on the field, throw forward laterals, kick past the line of scrimmage, have illegal formations, etc. and if the opposing coaches agreed to always decline those penalties, we couldn't do a darn thing.

But it seems for some penalties, just THROWING THE FLAG is enough to change the outcome, regardless of the penalty being accepted or declined.

Here are two I now know of:
1) Just throwing a flag causes a pass to become an 'illegal pass' (what was an incomplete pass if no flag is thrown turns into an 'illegal incomplete pass' after throwing the flag)
2) Just throwing a flag on R after R touches a kick causes first touching to be ignored

Any others?

Offline FBUmp

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 05:17:09 PM »
Since there is no penalty, it simply becomes an incomplete pass; B takes over on downs and snaps the ball from A's 20. Rule 5-1-2b; 5-1-3c

Not true.  It's an IFP whether the penalty is accepted or not.  It's a running play, not a loose ball.  The play ended where the pass was thrown.  B takes over on downs but they take the ball at the A5.

An incomplete legal forward pass goes back to the previous spot.  An incomplete illegal forward pass does not.