Author Topic: Question or two to ponder  (Read 2566 times)

Offline BIG DON

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +43/-10
Question or two to ponder
« on: September 01, 2018, 09:06:50 PM »
How do your crews handle this?
Guys just bear with me, when I am not on the field on Friday nights and watching crew from all over strange plays and question run thru my mind.

Last night I was working my job as LT on my Fire department ( could not take off because someone else had the day off and we could not run short. 

I was watching a game being broadcast live on the internet. Let me start by saying the crew did a fantastic job on this call. 

Team A ran a sweep to their right when the RB got some open room and ran for about 40 yards, however during the run one of team A receivers light up the strong side Linebacker knocking the helmet off of the LB. the LJ had a flag on the ground  immediately.  Now I have the advantage of replay where the crew does not. The R,LJ, U, and BJ huddled to discussed the play. On replay the block was from the front and look and was  vicious the problem with the block the receiver launched left his feet and made first contact with the crown of his helmet right to the upper part of the LB face mask and helmet causing the helmet to fly off.  No doubt it was a targeting foul. And at this point I am assuming the officials  discussion was on if the hit warranted an ejection. 

Sure enough the foul was targeting ( which was no doubt) and the player was ejected.
By the sound that came across the feed was the home   Crowd  was displeased (a few boos) but the accepted the call

Now my question is I have always been told to call the game at the last as you do to start and I think we can all agree with that. But if you have another targeting foul later in the game by let's say team b this time and in the officials opinion that foul does not warrant ejection what problems do you see form that point till the end of the game?  I or we as officials determine the ejection on thier on merit. Am I just opening a can of worms here by not ejecting the next player. And is it fair to the second player if ejected and it was a targeting foul but he did not launch into or did not make contact with the crown of his helmet? 

I know how my crew will handle this it rated on the action of the hit. We do get together and discuss this and myself as the white hat has the final say, and 99% of the time I am going with the recommendation of my crew and its worked well in the past

I am just trying to see how other look at this. Does your thinking change if there has all ready been trouble in the past or during you current game?
do or do not there is no try

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Re: Question or two to ponder
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 12:34:06 AM »
Good question.  I think the first foul would “set the bar” for ejection. Was the second foul as egregious as the first?  If so, ejection #2. But if the second foul isn’t as bad, and we can explain the difference (“the first guy launched but the second one didn’t”) then I hope we wouldn’t eject the second kid just to keep things even.

In FL, an ejection will result in a suspension of 1 to 6 games as decided by the state. So we want to be very sure that we have an ejection-worthy foul before we eject a player.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 12:49:35 AM by FLAHL »

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 09:31:27 AM »
How do your crews handle this? ----I am just trying to see how other look at this. Does your thinking change if there has all ready been trouble in the past or during you current game?

If there has been, "trouble in the past" likely EVERYONE (Coaches, Administrators, Spectators, players and officials) are aware of it, so the time to address where the "Standard bar" is being set is up front, with both Coaches (so they can share concerns with their players), hopefully again.

If somehow, the "standards" need to be adjusted, or simply reinforced, advising both Coaches would again be the best manner to convey that message.  Otherwise the standard YOU set, remains the standard throughout.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 11:22:20 AM »
IMHO, some personal fouls warrant ejections...some don't. The same would hold true with targeting fouls.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 10:48:02 AM »
Good question.  I think the first foul would “set the bar” for ejection. Was the second foul as egregious as the first?  If so, ejection #2. But if the second foul isn’t as bad, and we can explain the difference (“the first guy launched but the second one didn’t”) then I hope we wouldn’t eject the second kid just to keep things even.

In FL, an ejection will result in a suspension of 1 to 6 games as decided by the state. So we want to be very sure that we have an ejection-worthy foul before we eject a player.
A thought to ponder:since the state decides the suspension, why not go ahead and eject the player? -  let the state decide if the ejection was a worthy ejection and maybe not even sit the player at all next week.

Offline BIG DON

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +43/-10
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 10:54:20 AM »
our state review all ejections and they do have the right to over turn if they feel like the situation did not warrant one.
do or do not there is no try