Author Topic: Multiple Unsportsmanlike Conduct Fouls  (Read 901 times)

Offline MBK

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Multiple Unsportsmanlike Conduct Fouls
« on: September 12, 2023, 06:41:58 AM »
If two players on one team taunt their opponent after a touchdown, are two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties enforced or are they both considered part of the same act and only one enforced?

If two, can the offended team choose to have one enforced on the try and the other on the kickoff?

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
Re: Multiple Unsportsmanlike Conduct Fouls
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 07:16:45 AM »
10-2-5a: Penalties for dead ball fouls are administered separately and in order of occurrence.

As such, they would both be enforced and they have separate options for try or kickoff, so you could split them.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 06:02:00 PM »
10-2-5a: Penalties for dead ball fouls are administered separately and in order of occurrence.

As such, they would both be enforced and they have separate options for try or kickoff, so you could split them.

I would agree.  This BS needs to be out of the game.  The stronger the penalty, the sooner it ends.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 06:32:11 PM by NVFOA_Ump »
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Online Fatso

• FAN REACTION: +8/-1
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2023, 07:14:18 AM »
If two players on one team taunt their opponent after a touchdown, are two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties enforced or are they both considered part of the same act and only one enforced?

If two, can the offended team choose to have one enforced on the try and the other on the kickoff?
I'll throw this in the discussion -  We've been told that if they're part of the same act, one UNS foul is enough. For example, if 4 players do a dance in unison, you don't call 4 UNS fouls.  You flag one guy and move on....   Others might have a different opinion, but that's how I understand it should be handled.  Now if one guy does a back flip and another one is flipping off the opposing fans, that's two separate UNS acts so both should be flagged.

Offline BIG UMP

• FAN REACTION: +9/-1
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2023, 09:09:39 AM »
I'll throw this in the discussion -  We've been told that if they're part of the same act, one UNS foul is enough. For example, if 4 players do a dance in unison, you don't call 4 UNS fouls.  You flag one guy and move on....   Others might have a different opinion, but that's how I understand it should be handled.  Now if one guy does a back flip and another one is flipping off the opposing fans, that's two separate UNS acts so both should be flagged.

Mostly agree, but with the 4 dancing, I would penalize one foul but all four get their first UNS.
Big Ump

"EVERY JOB IS A SELF-PORTRAIT OF THE PERSON WHO DID IT.  AUTOGRAPH YOUR WORK WITH EXCELLENCE."~unknown

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2023, 09:11:13 AM »

That's a very NCAA/NFL way of thinking, especially 5-10 years ago. Instead of signalling 27 times for a big fight when 26 of them will just cancel out, you just flag the one off egregious offender.

However, since 2 USC penalties result in ejection (and now as well in NCAA/NFL), it's important to get everybody's number that was in the unison dance and you need to let the players involved/their coaches know they've got 1 and tell them not to get another. You don't want to set up a situation where, if the fight is big enough, everybody gets away scot-free.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2023, 09:27:47 AM »
We had one earlier this year where : (1) The TD scoring player  did a 'shoft-shoe' across the EZ  ^flag, while (2) a teammate tried to chin himself on the crossbar  ^flag. B's coach's response was : " We'll play their PAT straight up and take both on the kickoff for hopefully good field position."  yEs:

PROBLEM : How to establish neutral zone with K kicking from their 12 1/2  ??? ?

ANSWER : Using protocol from free kick after a fair catch, set the stakes to help.  yEs:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 05:05:15 PM by Ralph Damren »

Online Fatso

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2023, 09:58:12 AM »
That's a very NCAA/NFL way of thinking, especially 5-10 years ago. Instead of signalling 27 times for a big fight when 26 of them will just cancel out, you just flag the one off egregious offender.

However, since 2 USC penalties result in ejection (and now as well in NCAA/NFL), it's important to get everybody's number that was in the unison dance and you need to let the players involved/their coaches know they've got 1 and tell them not to get another. You don't want to set up a situation where, if the fight is big enough, everybody gets away scot-free.
For a fight, I agree you have to get everyone involved.  My example was more for celebration or taunts not fighting but your point is well-made, thanks.

So for a 4 man unison dance, would you flag 1 for 15yds but list all 4 players numbers as having a UNS against them?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 10:00:55 AM by Fatso »

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2023, 11:49:13 AM »
For a fight, I agree you have to get everyone involved.  My example was more for celebration or taunts not fighting but your point is well-made, thanks.

So for a 4 man unison dance, would you flag 1 for 15yds but list all 4 players numbers as having a UNS against them?

I took a dance class when I was 10 years old (1955). We were told that every dance has a leader. If the dude that scored the TD was in the dance, then he should be the leader  ^flag ;D

When I turned 11, i chose Little League over dance lessons. tR:oLl

Online Fatso

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2023, 12:32:52 PM »
When I turned 11, i chose Little League over dance lessons. tR:oLl
Good call !

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2023, 07:05:05 PM »

Depends on the fight, if there is CLEARLY a single instigator, and others are determined to be reasonably protecting them self, the instigator risks liability.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2023, 06:02:24 AM »

Mostly agree, but with the 4 dancing, I would penalize one foul but all four get their first UNS.

NCAA lets us philosophically split the baby.  We charge all 4 dancers with UNS but only enforce one 15 yard penalty against the team, since it was part of the same "act".  I don't think we can do that in NFHS.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2023, 06:21:01 AM »
NCAA lets us philosophically split the baby.  We charge all 4 dancers with UNS but only enforce one 15 yard penalty against the team, since it was part of the same "act".  I don't think we can do that in NFHS.

It’s what I’d do on the field, and I don’t think anyone would put up an argument.  If I get dinged, then so be it.

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2023, 03:43:06 PM »

Out here on the left coast. (Oregon)
So as not to discriminate, All four dancers receive the distinguished service award (aka a UNS),
But only one 15-Yard penalty is enforced
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum