Author Topic: First or second down or game over?  (Read 3794 times)

agegbg

First or second down or game over?
« on: September 15, 2013, 03:45:28 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQmNYPOgx40&feature=youtu.be

In the game between Winsconsin and Arizona A2 just put the ball down and the officials blows the whistle,
So what i can see we have a "live ball" that becomes dead when the Officials blow the Whistle .

Inadvertent whistle, replay the down, put the game clock back to 15 seconds, starts on ready for play.

Any other thoughts??

Offline golfingref

• FAN REACTION: +10/-6
Re: First or second down or game over?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 07:05:38 AM »
That was a mess! I agree that you have to go IW. No one on the crew seemed to step up and decide to talk about it.

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 07:08:52 AM »
I bet Wisconsin (and lots if other teams) learned something from this and will come up with a better way to do this in the future.

The QB looked like he put his knee down (or simulated it anyway) so it is not a fumble.  B can certainly be excused for not realizing there had not been a fumble.  The B player also did not seem to delay once told to get off the ball.

Not sure why the U was holding the snap.  There were 4 seconds left when he put it on ground and looks like 2 when he gave the OK to snap.  But Wisconsin was not on the ball so they time it took to get on the ball and then snap was probably too much for a spike and another play.

Game Over

Offline Reverend30

• FAN REACTION: +1/-2
  • NVFOA/EAIFO (Mass.)
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 07:16:41 AM »
I'm mostly with TXMike - looked like a good kneel and the whistle blew.  Not sure why the QB decided to spot the ball himself rather than give it to the R or U - that led to the confusion around the "fumble".  However, because the whistle blew, not sure why we can "excuse" B for pouncing on the ball. 

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 07:47:58 AM »
Have you ever been on one of these stadiums in a situation like this? I doubt anyone even heard a whistle

Tommyjohn44

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 09:02:52 AM »
I would love to know how R explained that to the Wisconsin coach. I didn't think he simulated a knee. I think he just bent down to set the ball down. It also looked like the QB tried to call a timeout after doing so. U is clearly confused as to what happened as he sees ball on the ground and Arizona State jumping on it.  What a mess.  They definitely needed to conference and make a call.

Offline Sonofanump

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 09:12:41 PM »
It also looked like the QB tried to call a timeout after doing so.

That would be even more confusing since the TV broadcast shows them without a TO.

Offline dcs07

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 12:27:38 AM »
There is some reasonably clear evidence that the QB was down, so at least no IW concerns

Offline James

• FAN REACTION: +7/-6
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 12:57:59 AM »
I don't see the QB down at all, but I personally would have said simulated taking a knee.
I do think it was poorly executed, and that the officials sort of 'seized' up a little when confronted with something they were not expecting.