Author Topic: Illegal Completed Pass from End Zone  (Read 3758 times)

Offline theunofficialofficial

• FAN REACTION: +5/-1
  • Go slow, then go slower.
Illegal Completed Pass from End Zone
« on: May 06, 2016, 01:24:00 AM »
Reading the rules and studying up for this season I came across an interesting conundrum that I thought I would get some input on.

Rule 7-3-7 Exception appears to address only incomplete illegal passes from the end zone. Maybe I am reading to much into this, but does B have the same option to decline the penalty and have the ball placed at the previous spot w/ loss of down if it is a completed pass?

Situation: 4th and 14th from A's 2 yard line. A12 takes the snap and hands off to A21 who fumbles at A's 4 yard line. The ball bounces back to A's 1 yard where A6 recovers the fumble and steps backwards into the end zone where he throws a completed forward pass to A85 at A's 15 yard line where he is tackled.

Can team B decline the penalty and take the ball at A's 2 yard line or because it was a completed catch do they have to take the safety? The language of the rule would seem to indicate because it was an illegal forward pass thrown from the end zone, B can decline the penalty. However this exception seems to only deal with illegal incomplete forward passes.
[/size]
Obviously intentional grounding is a form of incomplete illegal forward pass so it doesn't necessarily apply to my question.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
Re: Illegal Completed Pass from End Zone
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 01:59:32 AM »
I think the rationale for the rule is to allow team B options as they would in a case where the pass was legal, thus team B would not have an option to take the ball at the previous spot in a case of a completed pass. In your case the options would be safety or B 1/10 A-15.

Bitsy Arena

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 06:06:00 AM »
Possibly another reason why the fourth down fumble rule was brought in...

No pass, play already dead.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 06:13:47 AM »

Good catch, thanks.

Offline theunofficialofficial

• FAN REACTION: +5/-1
  • Go slow, then go slower.
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 09:51:50 AM »

Ah thanks that is a good catch!

So if I change the situation to be 3rd down (no more 4th down fumble rule). Does B still have the option to choose LOD and ball at previous spot? Does the 5 yard penalty (1/2 distance) also apply? Is it automatically a safety?

I recognize that B still most likely will take the safety but want to make sure that B knows their options correctly. Say with time low in 4th quarter B trailing by 5 points. If they can stop them one more down, block or run punt back for TD they have chance to win game. Also punt from deep in end zone vs kick-off from 20 is big field position advantage.

Offline SanDiegoStryker

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 10:59:37 AM »
In your case the options would be safety or B 1/10 A-15.

Safety or B 1/G A-2, right?

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 11:01:19 AM »

Situation: 4th and 14th from A's 2 yard line. A12 takes the snap runs to the A3 yard line, then retreats backwards into the end zone where he throws a completed forward pass to A85 at A's 15 yard line where he is tackled.

Changed your situation to remove 4th down fumble rule situation.

Kalle is right.  The rule was designed to give B the option had it been a legal forward incomplete pass.  In your play, they can take the safety or decline the foul and take the result of the play.

If it was incomplete, they could take the safety by foul, or decline it and count the down at the previous spot like a normal incomplete pass.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 11:20:09 AM »
Safety or B 1/G A-2, right?

No, the previous spot is not an option on a completed illegal forward pass.