Author Topic: New Umpire Question  (Read 3894 times)

Offline maybrefguy

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
New Umpire Question
« on: April 22, 2016, 11:14:44 AM »
I have worked HS football for 12 years as an Umpire and White Hat.  I'm hoping to get hired next year as an umpire at the college level. 

Any advice?  Tackles and take downs was what I got at our rules meeting on Tuesday.

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
New Umpire Question
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 03:47:29 PM »
Start being a good second level blocking observer. These days U is expected to get the holds that linemen make on linebackers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
Re: New Umpire Question
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 04:21:48 PM »
I have worked HS football for 12 years as an Umpire and White Hat.  I'm hoping to get hired next year as an umpire at the college level. 

Any advice?  Tackles and take downs was what I got at our rules meeting on Tuesday.

Where do you live?

Offline maybrefguy

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 10:53:47 AM »
I am in central KS.  We have a great group who meets every Tuesday for 3 hours and goes over rules questions and watches film clips that is lead by some D1 and D2 officials.  It's been great.

I am just looking for some beginning advice - thanks

Offline SJ3205

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 11:31:35 AM »
Work on the two things you can control.
1. Rules knowledge (sounds like you have a great start)
2. Appearance-get in the gym and begin a conditioning program. First impression on a coordinator is critical plus a college football game no matter what position you work is both mentally and physically challenging.

Offline maybrefguy

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 01:53:08 PM »
Work on the two things you can control.
1. Rules knowledge (sounds like you have a great start)
2. Appearance-get in the gym and begin a conditioning program. First impression on a coordinator is critical plus a college football game no matter what position you work is both mentally and physically challenging.

This is good - I have to lose some weight and get in better shape.  I have enjoyed working through the rules.  They are complicated, but I've enjoyed the challenge.

I was fortunate enough to be allowed on the field to shadow an official during a scrimmage this past Saturday.  That was good for me.  My penalty threshhold is going to have to go up.  :-)

Offline Verile

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 10:55:17 AM »
This is good - I have to lose some weight and get in better shape.  I have enjoyed working through the rules.  They are complicated, but I've enjoyed the challenge.

I was fortunate enough to be allowed on the field to shadow an official during a scrimmage this past Saturday.  That was good for me.  My penalty threshhold is going to have to go up.  :-)

Are you referring to the Wichita rules group?
The league you need to be looking at is the KJCCC.  They call JUCO games and also work KCAC (NAIA) games.  The supervisor's name is Craig Helser.