Author Topic: Conference USA Championship game clip request  (Read 11965 times)

The Ref Thats Lef

Conference USA Championship game clip request
« on: December 03, 2011, 06:15:42 PM »
Has anyone got the clip of the last but one TD by Southern Mississippi? (This amendment brought to you by the modify button).

I would love to get a clip to discuss airborne players.

From a quick glimpse the ball carrier jumps towards the endzone and the ball touches the ground but no part of the runner does until he is OOB. Would love to see it again to see if he is OOB before the ball is grounded ans therefore the ball should go back to an OOB spot and not be a touchdown.

As I said I only got a quick view and so I am not certain of what happened.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 03:47:22 AM by The Ref That's Left »

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
Re: Conference USA Championship game clip request
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 06:19:01 PM »
where does the ball touch?

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 06:45:09 PM »
Has anyone got the clip of the last but one TD by Mississippi State?

I believe you mean Southern Mississippi.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline mishatx

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
  • Free Agent
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 07:02:04 PM »
IIRC, the ball crossed inside the pylon, and maybe even touched the ground in the endzone.  ^good

Offline mishatx

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
  • Free Agent
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 07:11:04 PM »
video: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7310709

Unfortunately, it ends before the slow mo moment of truth.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 08:14:12 PM »
Has anyone got the clip of the last but one TD by Mississippi State?

Mississippi didn't score, but Southern Miss did!

From a quick gimps the ball carrier jumps towards the endzone and the ball touches the ground but no part of the runner does until he is OOB. Would love to see it again to see if he is OOB before the ball is grounded ans therefore the ball should go back to an OOB spot and not be a touchdown.

Not even close.  The ball passed inside the pylon, touched the ground in the EZ while in possession of the player, and then the player hit OOB.  Since the ball went inside the pylon, where he landed is immaterial.

MJT

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 08:40:52 PM »
I saw it as it happened and it was a great call, and great positioning by the S. No doubt the ball crossed in possession of the runner.

Hank

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 01:28:26 AM »
I saw it as it happened and it was a great call, and great positioning by the S. No doubt the ball crossed in possession of the runner.

Agree.  Awesome play by the runner.  Awesome call by the official.  I saw it on TV and in real time thought he was out but clearly the ball broke the plane.

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 09:21:36 AM »
Official absolutely got the call right, but what took him so long?  He watched the ball go inside the pylon, then turned and watched the runner go OOB and roll, even leaning in to watch him.  Then he turns and looks at the H (which I understand) to check the sideline, and THEN he signals the TD.  Why the turn to watch the runner hit OOB?

Hank

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 09:49:10 AM »
Official absolutely got the call right, but what took him so long?  He watched the ball go inside the pylon, then turned and watched the runner go OOB and roll, even leaning in to watch him.  Then he turns and looks at the H (which I understand) to check the sideline, and THEN he signals the TD.  Why the turn to watch the runner hit OOB?

Maybe keeping his eyes on the players as much as possible to ensure no late hits?  Or excessive celebration?  I thought he did it perfectly and just watched the replay on ESPN and it still looks great.  He (the official) is backpedaling for most of the play but when he realizes he won't make the GL simultaneous with the player he turns at about the 10 and gets to GL perfectly and watches everything.  Seems like this should be an instructional video. ^good

Offline mccormicw

• FAN REACTION: +3/-4
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 10:23:21 AM »
Maybe keeping his eyes on the players as much as possible to ensure no late hits?  Or excessive celebration?  I thought he did it perfectly and just watched the replay on ESPN and it still looks great.  He (the official) is backpedaling for most of the play but when he realizes he won't make the GL simultaneous with the player he turns at about the 10 and gets to GL perfectly and watches everything.  Seems like this should be an instructional video. ^good
Concur.   :thumbup

MJT

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 10:25:07 AM »

It is never a bad thing to be slow, process everything and make 100% sure you have what you think you have.

Diablo

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 10:31:56 AM »
It is never a bad thing to be slow, process everything and make 100% sure you have what you think you have.

Amen
Let the mind digest what the eyes just saw.

Offline mccormicw

• FAN REACTION: +3/-4
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 10:37:12 AM »
Amen
Let the mind digest what the eyes just saw.

A bit more digesting by the L in the LSU-Georgia game may have prevented a hiccup at the goal line

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 11:29:44 AM »

The Ref Thats Lef

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 12:06:54 PM »
Thanks Mike.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 12:26:18 PM »
An excellent piece of officiating by the S. That's a play for the weekly training tape you WANT to be on!
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 01:14:36 PM »
Apparently I was misunderstood.  I was NOT criticisizing the official, I was asking WHAT was he looking at after he saw the ball go inside the pylon that caused the SLIGHT delay? (Admitedly, it seemed longer yesterday when I was waiting for the call than it did today while watching the replay).

He was in position, he saw the play as he should, it just seemed like he turned to watch something after the score.  He was absolutely correct in his call, and in his position, I just wasn't sure what else he would have been watching.

El Macman

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »
Apparently I was misunderstood.  I was NOT criticisizing the official, I was asking WHAT was he looking at after he saw the ball go inside the pylon that caused the SLIGHT delay? (Admitedly, it seemed longer yesterday when I was waiting for the call than it did today while watching the replay).

He was in position, he saw the play as he should, it just seemed like he turned to watch something after the score.  He was absolutely correct in his call, and in his position, I just wasn't sure what else he would have been watching.

He did exactly what he, and any good sideline official should and would do - he looked back to make sure his sideline partner didn't have something different from what he was about to rule; i.e, perhaps his partner had the bc stepping OB. So, he checked, got nothing contradictory, and followed through with his ruling. That's the way it is done. Great work.

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 03:39:29 PM »
He did exactly what he, and any good sideline official should and would do - he looked back to make sure his sideline partner didn't have something different from what he was about to rule; i.e, perhaps his partner had the bc stepping OB. So, he checked, got nothing contradictory, and followed through with his ruling. That's the way it is done. Great work.

That part I got, as H was watching the sideline.  It was the watching of the runner going to the ground that I couldn't understand.  It was almost as if he was looking to see if possession was maintained, which at that point, wouldn't have been necessary. SCROLL TO SEE THE OFFICIAL.  DON'T KNOW HOW TO MAKE THE PICTURE SMALLER

One MINOR issue: our officials are told to square up to the goal line for their TD signal, not to the players.

Again, I think he made a good call from a good position.  I'm just trying to learn what his process was.

Hank

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2011, 04:28:47 PM »
That part I got, as H was watching the sideline.  It was the watching of the runner going to the ground that I couldn't understand.  It was almost as if he was looking to see if possession was maintained, which at that point, wouldn't have been necessary.

One MINOR issue: our officials are told to square up to the goal line for their TD signal, not to the players.

Again, I think he made a good call from a good position.  I'm just trying to learn what his process was.

I don't think he's watching possession.  I think he's just keeping eyes on opposing players that have gone OOB behind him.  I've been taught to do that.  What if the scorer tosses the ball to D and you've turned away?  What if the D slugs the scorer and you've turned away.  He waits and turns his head away when the players have space between them.  Then he checks with his co official to make sure the runner never stepped out.  At least, that's what I think.

Yeah, the minor issue, you're right.  I still think this is a training video call that I'd be very happy with were I the S.

Offline FLbackjudge

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2011, 12:14:43 PM »
This S has a pretty good family tree.  His dad was the S in Super Bowl XLIII (Steelers vs Cardinals) and he called the winning catch by Santonio Holmes.  If anyone has a video of that catch, I think you'll see dad take his time making that call.

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2011, 12:28:59 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjv5ckLfDVA  Looked like FJ was pretty quick on it.

Offline FLbackjudge

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2011, 12:59:52 PM »
OK, I stand corrected on both "dad's" position (F not S) and his deliberateness in making a signal.  Nonetheless, it's a pretty good lineage for S in the C-USA championship game.

Hank

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2011, 01:12:47 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking that SB call was kind of quick actually.  Correct, but quick.