Author Topic: Conference USA Championship game clip request  (Read 11964 times)

cougar729

Re: Conference USA Championship game clip request
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2011, 01:43:01 PM »
Intrestingly enough, the F in this C-USA game has a father also in the NFL

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2011, 04:42:28 PM »
I would only have a minor critique on the official here. Some of yall more experienced guys can correct me if I say something wrong here, but I was taught coming up as a baseball official that you never want to make a call while moving. Is that the same in football as well? I would think even more so becuase the OOB line kills a play whereas in baseball, the line is still IN PLAY. If you're moving, you've got a lot of moving parts(eyes, head, etc) to process instead of staying still and seeing the play. If I had one critique to make, I would have suggested this guy stop running and plant before the runner got to the pylon. Again, someone correct me if im wrong on this assumption

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2011, 04:59:31 PM »
Well, it's best not to make a call while moving, but he also needs to get to the goal line ahead of the runner.  Since the latter is the more important of the two, sometimes you have to make it while moving.

El Macman

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2011, 05:40:59 PM »

One MINOR issue: our officials are told to square up to the goal line for their TD signal, not to the players.

Why? In the history of football, the goal line has never committed a foul. Looking over one's shoulder may work, but is awkward. There is nothing magical about squaring to the goal line. Better to stay open to the players, particulalrly the scoring player, for a spike, throwing the ball, taunting, or getting creamed by an opponent.

Hank

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2011, 12:14:22 AM »
I would only have a minor critique on the official here. Some of yall more experienced guys can correct me if I say something wrong here, but I was taught coming up as a baseball official that you never want to make a call while moving. Is that the same in football as well? I would think even more so becuase the OOB line kills a play...

I call baseball also and I'll just say this.  The S HAS to move 35 to 40 yards on this play.  He does all but 8 of those yard BACKWARDS.  Then he does STOP when he gets to the goal line and watches everything he needs to while as still as possible.  As for the OOB line, that's where he looks for some help from his co-official.  When we do 5 man, there is no S but on a long play like this, I would give the BJ a fist to signal that the runner was in bounds the entire way.

Now, as for baseball officials, I've seen plenty that don't move 40 yards during an entire game.

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2011, 08:39:27 AM »
I call baseball also and I'll just say this.  The S HAS to move 35 to 40 yards on this play.  He does all but 8 of those yard BACKWARDS.  Then he does STOP when he gets to the goal line and watches everything he needs to while as still as possible.  As for the OOB line, that's where he looks for some help from his co-official.  When we do 5 man, there is no S but on a long play like this, I would give the BJ a fist to signal that the runner was in bounds the entire way.

Now, as for baseball officials, I've seen plenty that don't move 40 yards during an entire game.

Point taken, thats why I asked.  aWaRd

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2011, 03:19:21 AM »
The play was included onthis week's CFO videos and the official received major props from RR for his work here

Hank

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2011, 11:07:22 AM »
Is there a link to those CFO videos?  I call HS football but would like to watch the videos.

Do I have to register somewhere?

Can I only see them if I'm an NCAA offical?

Thanks in advance.

ABoselli

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2011, 09:18:20 PM »
You have to be a member of the CFO to view the videos, so level of football officiated is not a factor - willingness to pay the $100 is, though.

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2011, 09:32:52 PM »
If you happen to be TASO, you can get it for $25

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2011, 09:57:01 PM »
Got your PM Hank.  Just go to the CFO website and register as TASO for the reduced fee.  Supposed to get all the goodies (mechanics manual, patches, rule book) as the full fare members, but I never did.

Oops. Just went to the registration site and registration is closed until June 2012.

https://www.arbitersports.com/front/104777/Site/PageContent/Registration

Best regards,

Brad

Hank

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2011, 10:08:13 PM »
Thanks TXSky.  Oh well, I guess I'll wait.

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2011, 04:16:00 AM »
I have a hunch if you go to the clinics in the Spring and Summer you will get to see them  (and with any luck you might get to see them via http://tasofb.wordpress.com even before then)