Author Topic: Holiday Bowl (Texas v California) Suspect Hurdling  (Read 9375 times)

Offline AIAFA171

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
Holiday Bowl (Texas v California) Suspect Hurdling
« on: January 05, 2012, 08:58:01 AM »
Just about 12min to play in 2 QTR, # 4 of Texas - rushing for the QB - jumped over and "hurdled" a defender and then reached QB.

To me it really looks like an "hurdling" foul, but I never saw it being called.

Can anyone remember the play (or post video if possible) and comment ?
Thanks in advance and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
marco

Offline mccormicw

• FAN REACTION: +3/-4
Re: Holiday Bowl (Texas v California) Suspect Hurdling
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 09:28:01 AM »
I have heard that Division I officials will never call hurdling no matter what the situation even if the defense hurdles the offensive line during a field goal attempt.  I have always wondered why leaping is called and hurdling is ignored.

El Macman

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 10:14:04 AM »
I have heard that Division I officials will never call hurdling no matter what the situation even if the defense hurdles the offensive line during a field goal attempt.  I have always wondered why leaping is called and hurdling is ignored.

You have seen leaping called, but it is quickly falling into the land of rule leprosy.

cincybearcat

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 11:35:16 AM »
You have seen leaping called, but it is quickly falling into the land of rule leprosy.

...Well...aiding the runner does need some company  ;)

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 08:05:49 AM »

Offline Arbitrator

• Chief Manor Road Pig Poker
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-10
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 08:35:52 AM »
 ^flag

I can't exactly see "hurdling" on this particular play primarily because the offensive blocker seems to have lost contact with the ground since his feet apparently are "no longer grounded," so to speak. Per the definition of hurdling, at 2-15-1(a & b) "Hurdling is an attempt by a player to jump with one or both feet or knees foremost over an opponent who is still on his feet. (Rule 9-1-13) "On his feet" means that no part of the opponent's body other than one or both feet is in contact with the ground."   z^

Offline Dakota Dan

• FAN REACTION: +9/-1
  • ΦΑ ΣAE SD Theta
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 09:04:25 AM »
Not sure if you could get much support from your supervisor with the "hurdling" call on #4 orange because of what Arbitrator stateed; however, you would be supported on the leg strike/leg whip (i.e. PF-tripping) by #20 white on #7 orange on the same play.

Offline AIAFA171

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 09:48:12 AM »
Mike, Thanks very much for the video - that is exactly it.
Arbitrator, you get the point and that's why I stated "suspect" in the title, but it looked close enough to at least understand if it is a foul or not.
Thanks everyone for support!
Ciao

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 09:49:46 AM »
...the leg strike/leg whip (i.e. PF-tripping) by #20 white on #7 orange on the same play.
If you call that, you are really looking hard to find a foul there.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Dakota Dan

• ΦΑ ΣAE SD Theta
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 10:32:54 AM »
Not saying that I would call either one in a game... however, if you did, the trip would get more support over the hurdle...

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 01:14:44 PM »
however, you would be supported on the leg strike/leg whip (i.e. PF-tripping) by #20 white on #7 orange on the same play.

There is nothing intentional on the part of #20 that would be a trip.  He went low to block, missed, rolled, and #7 ran into his hip or legs.  There was no "leg strike or whip".

Offline Dakota Dan

• ΦΑ ΣAE SD Theta
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 01:29:59 PM »
when you dive and miss as #20 did .... you do not unintentionally raise your leg to prevent #7 from coming through untouched... it was an intentional act by #20 to prevent #7 from rushing the QB...

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 02:17:27 PM »
when you dive and miss as #20 did .... you do not unintentionally raise your leg to prevent #7 from coming through untouched... it was an intentional act by #20 to prevent #7 from rushing the QB...

You're giving #20 WAY too much credit.  He dove and missed.  He didn't intentionally leg whip or trip anyone.

Throw that flag and you have a LOT of explaining to do.

Offline James

• FAN REACTION: +7/-6
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 02:13:45 AM »
I agre with AB.
Looking at the last part of the clip you see that #20's head is looking back upfield and I would be hard pressed to say that he had any idea where he was in relation to the rusher.

Offline mccormicw

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 10:08:20 AM »
^flag

I can't exactly see "hurdling" on this particular play primarily because the offensive blocker seems to have lost contact with the ground since his feet apparently are "no longer grounded," so to speak. Per the definition of hurdling, at 2-15-1(a & b) "Hurdling is an attempt by a player to jump with one or both feet or knees foremost over an opponent who is still on his feet. (Rule 9-1-13) "On his feet" means that no part of the opponent's body other than one or both feet is in contact with the ground."   z^

I understand that no one is going to call hurdling.  I don't believe "no part of the opponent's body other than one or both fee is in contact with the ground" equates to "since his feet apparently are no longer grounded".  Does anyone know why there is a rule against hurdling?  Is it a supposed safety issue or is it to to eliminate an unfair advantage such as preventing the defense from jumping over the offensive line during extra points or field goals? 

El Macman

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 12:26:05 PM »
I understand that no one is going to call hurdling.  I don't believe "no part of the opponent's body other than one or both fee is in contact with the ground" equates to "since his feet apparently are no longer grounded".  Does anyone know why there is a rule against hurdling?  Is it a supposed safety issue or is it to to eliminate an unfair advantage such as preventing the defense from jumping over the offensive line during extra points or field goals?

Safety. Take a knee to the face - pre-facemasks - and you'd want a 'no hurdling' rule, too.

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 12:44:14 PM »
Speaking from experience?     ;D

El Macman

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 01:41:32 PM »
Speaking from experience?     ;D

I always speak from experience...or lack thereof.  cRaZy

I once met Marilyn Monroe - or was it James Monroe - ah, hell, I can't remember. But they both had nice legs.

Offline mccormicw

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 05:35:09 PM »
I always speak from experience...or lack thereof.  cRaZy

I once met Marilyn Monroe - or was it James Monroe - ah, hell, I can't remember. But they both had nice legs.

LOL