Author Topic: Safeties and Untimed Down  (Read 436 times)

Offline Derek Teigen

• FAN REACTION: +19/-1
  • Committed to the game; safety and sportsmanship
Safeties and Untimed Down
« on: August 27, 2023, 12:21:10 PM »
Rule 3.4.5 says "....A period shall not be extended by an untimed down if.... fouls, for which enforcement by rule result in a safety"

This seems a little unjust to me, because if team B is behind and they had just forced safety due to foul  on A then you would think team B would have a chance to return the safety free kick.

Also, am I reading this correctly? Is my understanding that a safety, that is not the result of a foul,  does extended period to one untimed down if so, why the difference?

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Safeties and Untimed Down
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2023, 12:33:51 PM »
Rule 3.4.5 says "....A period shall not be extended by an untimed down if.... fouls, for which enforcement by rule result in a safety"

This seems a little unjust to me, because if team B is behind and they had just forced safety due to foul  on A then you would think team B would have a chance to return the safety free kick.

Also, am I reading this correctly? Is my understanding that a safety, that is not the result of a foul,  does extended period to one untimed down if so, why the difference?

If you’re reading that a safety of any sort creates an untimed down you’re either reading it wrong or what you’re reading is wrong.

Offline Derek Teigen

• FAN REACTION: +19/-1
  • Committed to the game; safety and sportsmanship
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2023, 12:50:20 PM »
Hi Calhoun, I'm glad you're back in the forum!  Yes, I see it now. The safety by Foul is an exception and there are no safeties that result in an unTimed down.  Thank you

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2023, 07:45:16 AM »

This would only be a potential issue at the end of a half.  If I’m A’s coach, I’d tell my kicker to just tip the ball forward off the tee and fall on it.  Half over.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2023, 07:54:26 AM »
This is exactly the reason this was tweaked several years ago.