Author Topic: 2012 MidSeason Comments from Dr Redding  (Read 1849 times)

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
2012 MidSeason Comments from Dr Redding
« on: October 24, 2012, 01:16:13 PM »
COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFICIATING, LLC
NATIONAL COORDINATOR’S 2012 MID-SEASON COMMENTS
Now that we are into the second half of the 2012 season, I want to make some observations about the year so far that may be helpful as we move forward. In general you as college officials are having a fine season, and there have been no instances where the story of the game was the officiating. That’s what we want.
We are seeing fewer fouls for unsportsmanlike conduct. The rules and your diligent enforcement are having a very positive impact; keep up this good work.
There are some issues that continue to need our attention:
 HELMETS COMING OFF
Players’ helmets continue to fly off, although there has been a slight downward trend in the last couple of weeks. We are doing a fine job of getting the players out of the game when their helmets come off. Remember that the player may remain in the game only if a foul is the direct cause of the helmet coming off; this means that the foul itself is to the headgear proper or the facemask. Be sure to insist that the players have their chinstraps snapped and fitting snugly. While this will not completely cure the problem it will help a lot.
 TARGETING FOULS
We must continue to be very diligent in calling fouls under 9-1-3 and 9-1-4 for targeting with the crown of the helmet and targeting a defenseless opponent in the head/neck area. Flagrant fouls must result in the player being disqualified. Many players are still very proud of making such dangerous hits, and we must change their behavior by calling these fouls. Don’t leave this in the hands of the conferences for post-game review. Take care of the problem on the field.
 SIDELINE CONTROL
Still we have too many coaches coming onto the field or they and their staffs parking in the restricted area. There have been some situations where officials have
collided with sideline personnel in the restricted area during play. Be diligent about keeping the sidelines clean.
Finally, I want to say how much I appreciate everyone’s hard work. This is a difficult business and one that we all love so much. As I get around the country to observe games I am very proud of the dedication and enthusiasm that I see in college football officials everywhere. Thanks for all you do!
Rogers Redding
National Coordinator of Football Officials
October 24, 2012