Author Topic: Those Sneaky Dudes!!  (Read 2629 times)

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
Those Sneaky Dudes!!
« on: November 02, 2012, 06:06:21 AM »
Generated some discussion this week....

During the down A88's helmet comes off.  He leaves the field after the play and there is a different  player down with an injury.  The injury takes 5 minutes or so to be dealt with.  After the injury  timeout, RFP is whistled and A runs a play.  At the end of the down, the B realizes A88 participated.   Whacha gonna do?

I say all you can do is talk to the coach and let him know he cannot do that again.   I have heard all sorts of other opinions on what to do which includes different penalties.   I suppose you could make the stretch to "unfair acts" but seems that is a very big stretch.

El Macman

Re: Those Sneaky Dudes!!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 06:21:38 AM »
He may not have sat out the next down, as prescribed by rule, but I'd send him off for the ensuing down. The next time it happens (with anybody on their team), I'm going with Unfair Acts and hittin' 'em with 15.

younggun

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 08:02:26 AM »
Why not hit them with the 15 on the previous play? What if he is the one who catchs a TD pass? I'm sure that will go over really well when you say he has to now sit out for the Try.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 09:24:21 AM »
If we're going to use Unfair Acts, which I would agree seems to fit pretty well here, why not be a bit  conservative and use "The referee may take any action he considers equitable, which includes directing that the down be repeated ..... etc",  and enforce a 5 yard penalty and replay the down?  If they do it a second time, 15 yards and loss of down.

I'd have no problem at all justifying that with my supervisor.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 06:05:50 PM by NVFOA_Ump »
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline Cowman52

• FAN REACTION: +7/-2
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 05:48:32 PM »
I vote illegal participation, 15 yds.

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 10:28:49 PM »
What is the rule citation for illegal participation?

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 10:55:45 PM »
I would like to see an interpretation from RR before I enforce any penalty.  All fouls have a penalty associated with each one.  Playing in the next down after your helmet comes off or after an injury isn't shown to be a foul in the rules.  If we allow this to happen, then we are the ones at fault.