Author Topic: Got stopped by an Alabama State Trooper  (Read 1489 times)

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
Got stopped by an Alabama State Trooper
« on: October 25, 2020, 02:19:34 PM »
Driving two lane highway toward Greenville ( catfish farms)

In front of me, pickup with empty utility trailer. Me and following another pickup with an empty utility trailer. Cruise control locked at 60. We've been this way for 20 miles. Light grey SUV approaching. Passed us going west, we're going east. Soon, the pickup behind me slows down....here he comes, lights on. Pulls in behind me...."What did I do wrong?" Pulled into a gravel parking lot at a tower. Trooper gets out....big black gentleman ...immediately says "I'm sorry!, when I pass cars I look for seat belts and cell phones in driver's hands. I just realized you have your GPS directly in front of you." "It's below my line of site and where I don't have to look away to see it." He replies, "Put it to the right if you don't mind." I moved it and asked "About there?" "Absolutely!" Then I started laughing "What's funny?" "No offense obviously,  but my mind sometimes hyjacks all reason. I just thought wow, interior decorating ideas from Alabama's best!"

Online dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Re: Got stopped by an Alabama State Trooper
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 10:20:33 PM »
I wonder if he thought it was obstructing your view (even though you told him it wasn't.)

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
Re: Got stopped by an Alabama State Trooper
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 04:43:49 PM »
Forgot to add his explanation. His initial thought was that I was holding my cellphone and either texting or making a call. To me that justified the stop. When he got of the SUV, he immediately started apologizing because he saw it was my GPS....

He was laughing at the Interior Decorating thought.

I got stopped on the other side of the state doing 63 in a 55 zone. Unmarked car. The guys sense of humor was so great, I had to add to it. He said "I clocked you at 63 and wanted you to know, I seldom stop anyone unless they are 10 mph over. Since he had a great sense of humor I asked ...."Was the black car that passed just before I came around this turn an unmarked car too?" "In fact he was." "Well I want to keep your record clean. Want me to go back about a mile and zip past doing 70?"

Both Troopers were guys you would get a kick out off sitting down and having lunch with. They are few and far between.