Author Topic: FED RULES TOUCHDOWN OR NOT ?  (Read 22768 times)

Online dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Re: FED RULES TOUCHDOWN OR NOT ?
« Reply #100 on: April 01, 2020, 09:54:37 AM »
Why should we give the Defense an added opportunity to score, as a reward for being SCORED UPON?

Just to be argumentative, if a defense can manage to take possession of the ball and run it 98 yards back in one fell swoop, I'm all in favor of giving them 6.  :)

Or how about a rule change where we points earned is based on the yardline you started from? Inside the 10, 2 points, regardless.  10-20 - 5 points, etc. 

Just being silly.  would make for some interesting strategy changes as deep ball passing would completely dominate.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #101 on: April 01, 2020, 10:14:29 AM »
Just to be argumentative, if a defense can manage to take possession of the ball and run it 98 yards back in one fell swoop, I'm all in favor of giving them 6.  :)

Absolutely ALL IN FAVOR of the defense, after a COP during a "live" ball, advancing any distance to produce a SCORE (of their own) being granted the opportunity to FURTHER EARN EXTRA points. 

However, when the original Offense produces a score, the Defense EARNS the opportunity to PREVENT the Offense from adding EXTRA points, they are given an opportunity to compile, and add to their total.

All in all, a really great example of "no need to fix something that isn't broken".
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 10:17:07 AM by AlUpstateNY »

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #102 on: April 01, 2020, 01:47:46 PM »

Or how about a rule change where we points earned is based on the yardline you started from? Inside the 10, 2 points, regardless.  10-20 - 5 points, etc. 

Just being silly.  would make for some interesting strategy changes as deep ball passing would completely dominate.

If this were allowed it would only be worth two points for B/R. The rules state on a try, a successful scrimmage kick or safety is worth 1 point and a TD is worth 2 points.

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #103 on: April 02, 2020, 08:11:19 PM »

For the record there are clearly two sides to the debate:

One side of the coin says... Only the touchdown scoring team has earned the opportunity to score Extra Point(s)

The other side of the coin says....It is currently the only play in NFHS football where both teams do not have an equal opportunity to score.

Neither here nor there but... 97 yards is a pretty good little jaunt!

FYI...A defensive conversion during a Try is allowed under both NCAA and NFL rules. (2 points for B or R)
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #104 on: April 03, 2020, 08:16:50 AM »
For the record there are clearly two sides to the debate:

One side of the coin says... Only the touchdown scoring team has earned the opportunity to score Extra Point(s)

The other side of the coin says....It is currently the only play in NFHS football where both teams do not have an equal opportunity to score.

Neither here nor there but... 97 yards is a pretty good little jaunt!

FYI...A defensive conversion during a Try is allowed under both NCAA and NFL rules. (2 points for B or R)

How did you guys handle penalty enforcement during the try?

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2020, 12:11:00 PM »

As you correctly note; "Only the touchdown scoring team has EARNED the opportunity to score Extra Point(s)"  The "Extra Point(s)" opportunity is a REWARD  for specifically scoring A TOUCHDOWN. (Try for point(s) opportunities are NOT afforded to either team for scoring either a Field Goal or Safety REWARD

Both the NCAA and NFL have elected to expand the opportunity for the Defense to score on a TRY, as apparently they determined doing so, was needed to enhance their scoring options.  NFHS has yet to determine this additional scoring option was necessary or appropriate,  to suit he needs of NFHS contests. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 12:13:54 PM by AlUpstateNY »

Offline KWH

« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2020, 12:48:04 PM »
How did you guys handle penalty enforcement during the try?

Bossman,

Right, Wrong or Indifferent - We attempted to stay with the NFHS philosophy that no foul goes unpunished. As such, it got a little long (and while perhaps fairer, more complicated to officiate)
NCAA version is simpler (and easier to officiate) since most fouls after a COP are declined by Rule, only PF and UNS carry over.
If you would like a copy to dissect, PM me on the VON

UPDATE: I believe I PM'd it too you here on Refstripes, if I din't screw up.
Please take a look and advise
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 02:09:49 PM by KWH »

Respectfully Submitted;

Offline KWH

« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2020, 12:54:54 PM »
As you correctly note; "Only the touchdown scoring team has EARNED the opportunity to score Extra Point(s)"  The "Extra Point(s)" opportunity is a REWARD  for specifically scoring A TOUCHDOWN. (Try for point(s) opportunities are NOT afforded to either team for scoring either a Field Goal or Safety REWARD

Both the NCAA and NFL have elected to expand the opportunity for the Defense to score on a TRY, as apparently they determined doing so, was needed to enhance their scoring options.  NFHS has yet to determine this additional scoring option was necessary or appropriate,  to suit he needs of NFHS contests.

ALF -
The "Try for Point" was added way back in 1876 with the rationale being as "a method to break ties"
One could argue, (and one has) allowing the Defense to score on a Try further enhances the same rationale used in 1876.

Respectfully Submitted;

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #108 on: April 03, 2020, 02:46:05 PM »
ALF -
The "Try for Point" was added way back in 1876 with the rationale being as "a method to break ties"
One could argue, (and one has) allowing the Defense to score on a Try further enhances the same rationale used in 1876.

Can't speak for the EXACT rational notion back in 1876,  but it's reasonable to presume that  the "TRY" may have BOTH been created AS " a method to break ties" by giving a scoring team an EARNED REWARD OPPORTUNITY, "for scoring a Touchdown". 

If you are convinced that changing the NFHS rules to accommodate the ability for the Defensive team to score on a try, would somehow significantly enhance, or particularly improve Interscholastic football, you should consider appealing to NFHS to do so through existing channels. 

I would doubt there was much of clamor, or burning need. to add this possibility to the current NFHS code, although, you never know   

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #109 on: April 04, 2020, 07:40:22 AM »
I would doubt there was much of clamor, or burning need. to add this possibility to the current NFHS code, although, you never know

Wrong again, according to Ralph:
(T)his was on the docket a couple of times several years ago and came very close to passing - once by only one vote.

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #110 on: April 04, 2020, 08:39:10 AM »
(T)his was on the docket a couple of times several years ago and came very close to passing - once by only one vote.

Should the concept be reviewed again, and (Hopefully NOT pass, again) and muster enough support to "Pass", that might indicate "a burning need".  Until then, lets hope it continues to languish as a "Much ado about nothing" idea, simply seeking change for change sake.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #111 on: April 06, 2020, 12:48:10 PM »
Allowing B to score on a try is something I'm indifferent about. I don't know if one is better than the other, but it's not something I would expect to be the same level to level. In the vein of keeping things simple in NFHS it makes sense to say only A/K can score. It's pretty rare for B/R to score in NCAA/NFL on a try attempt. I can only remember 1 or 2 in all my college games over the years.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #112 on: April 07, 2020, 08:41:03 AM »
ALF -
I believe 1876 was the same year that General Custer may have said : "Those Indians look friendly 8] ". While not totally excited about adding the Oregonian Duce Jaunt, I would favor keeping the ball alive on a blocked PAT kick. Rationale :
 (1) bad snap allows holder to leave knee and retrieve to kick;
 (2) a preventive measure to prevent IWs on blocked field goals.

PS: Snuck in to visit Ole' Dell while ma' dawg is in doggie day care. His kennel sells food so it can keep open ;). (dog food) . Our governor didn't  specify shopping for just human food on one's journey out.  :)

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #113 on: April 07, 2020, 10:12:04 AM »

That's likely why they review possible rule changes YEARLY.  Although "That was then, this is now", you might consider a Baseball fundamental, "Three strikes and your OUT", and let this poor dead horse RIP.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 10:13:54 AM by AlUpstateNY »

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #114 on: April 09, 2020, 01:47:56 PM »
Apparently, and thankfully, the 4 year experiment failed to impress enough Rule makers to make a change. 

The "Extra Point (Try)" is a REWARD opportunity granted to the scoring team, for scoring.  To be fair to the Defense, they are given an equal opportunity to prevent the scoring team, from being granted an "extra point". 

Why should we give the Defense an added opportunity to score, as a reward for being SCORED UPON?

God help me, but I actually agree with Al here.  I've never liked that R can score on a try in NCAA and NFL.

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #115 on: April 09, 2020, 02:46:16 PM »
God help me, but I actually agree with Al here.  I've never liked that R can score on a try in NCAA and NFL.

Even a broken clock is right TWICE a day EVERY day

Offline Patrick E.

• FAN REACTION: +6/-3
« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2020, 07:46:24 PM »
In the NFL/NCAA, does B kick off if they score on the try since they were last to score?

Online Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +53/-9
« Reply #117 on: April 09, 2020, 08:15:35 PM »
No. “The team that scored the six point touchdown shall kickoff. 8-3-6

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #118 on: April 10, 2020, 09:26:09 AM »
Even a broken clock is right TWICE a day EVERY day

Funny, I feel the SAME way.