Author Topic: hEAR YE, HERE YE..IT'S GROUNDHOG DAY, HERE THEY ARE......  (Read 18031 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Re: hEAR YE, HERE YE..IT'S GROUNDHOG DAY, HERE THEY ARE......
« Reply #225 on: June 07, 2023, 05:08:26 AM »
Ralph:
Did you get interrupted when you were typing this message?
I got interrupted by my computer that froze. Let me try again

I talked with the NFHS HQ yesterday and their intent with this POE was to indicate that 'pushing the pile' was legal (no foul) BUT IF the runner's own forward progress had stopped, the play could have been ruled dead. A teammate pulling, pushing or carrying the runner could be flagged for helping the runner.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 05:14:56 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #226 on: June 07, 2023, 08:09:48 AM »
I got interrupted by my computer that froze. Let me try again

I talked with the NFHS HQ yesterday and their intent with this POE was to indicate that 'pushing the pile' was legal (no foul) BUT IF the runner's own forward progress had stopped, the play could have been ruled dead. A teammate pulling, pushing or carrying the runner could be flagged for helping the runner.

Sounds like another example of "One size NEVER fits all," but if ignored /allowed to expand can into something problematic.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #227 on: June 07, 2023, 08:26:56 AM »
Sounds like another example of "One size NEVER fits all," but if ignored /allowed to expand can into something problematic.
It may be a challange when looking at 22 legs as to which two belong to the runner, my 'when in doubt' suggestion is forward progress has stopped.
 In Maine, we've been officiating to this philosophy for a few years without any problems as teams no longer run this. IMHO, it doesn't belong in high school football.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #228 on: June 09, 2023, 01:57:35 PM »
It may be a challange when looking at 22 legs as to which two belong to the runner, my 'when in doubt' suggestion is forward progress has stopped.
 In Maine, we've been officiating to this philosophy for a few years without any problems as teams no longer run this. IMHO, it doesn't belong in high school football.

AMEN, Nothing "Broke", so there isn't any overwhelming need to start "fixing" anything.