Author Topic: Any thoughts, expiration of time....  (Read 5249 times)

Offline RMR

• FAN REACTION: +10/-6
Any thoughts, expiration of time....
« on: October 02, 2011, 01:21:07 PM »
Is this reveiwable?  It appears that time expired prior to the clock being killed but I still thgouht it was strange that they didn't at least do a "cosmetic" review of the play.

Thoughts anyone?

ETA: I guess this would work better if I actually included the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGwGdfS3-k8
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 01:51:31 PM by RMR »
"Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it's wrong."

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
Re: Any thoughts, expiration of time....
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 04:36:19 PM »
It WAS reviewed.  The replay official felt it was not necessary to alert the crew because the game didn't need to be halted.  Had the replay official disagreed with the call on the field, he would have buzzed the crerw and kept them on the field.  He decided after his review that wasn't necessary.

ALL plays in games with a replay official are reviewed.

Offline RMR

• FAN REACTION: +10/-6
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 06:41:12 PM »
And am I understanding correctly that the ruling would be with respect to when the clock was killed as opposed to the instant when the player was seen to be down?
"Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it's wrong."

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 06:27:33 AM »
In this case the rule says that the clock stops as soon as it has been determined that team A has achieved the line to gain.  Unless it's very obvious to all that the line to gain had been made, the CO would be waiting for the signal from the field officials to kill the clock.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline ref6983

• FAN REACTION: +2/-33
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 09:15:26 AM »
It WAS reviewed.  The replay official felt it was not necessary to alert the crew because the game didn't need to be halted.  Had the replay official disagreed with the call on the field, he would have buzzed the crerw and kept them on the field.  He decided after his review that wasn't necessary.

ALL plays in games with a replay official are reviewed.

Player is clearly down with 2 seconds on the clock. He may have reviewed the play, but he was wrong in not stopping the game and putting time back on the clock.

See rule 12-3-5c.

mbyron

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 09:45:40 AM »
12-3-5b concerns a clock adjustment for a play that has been reviewed, for example when an incomplete pass is incorrectly ruled a catch and the clock keeps running. There was no play reviewed here: the question concerned the clock itself, not the play.

The clock doesn't stop when the player is down, it stops when the covering official signals. The game was over. The issue of whether SC could have done anything with 1 second is moot.

Offline ref6983

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 10:08:20 AM »
12-3-5b concerns a clock adjustment for a play that has been reviewed, for example when an incomplete pass is incorrectly ruled a catch and the clock keeps running. There was no play reviewed here: the question concerned the clock itself, not the play.

The clock doesn't stop when the player is down, it stops when the covering official signals. The game was over. The issue of whether SC could have done anything with 1 second is moot.

12-3-5c, not 12-3-5b. This section was added to clarify that clock adjustments can be made at the end of either half under certain circumstances. If the clock is to be stopped when the ball becomes dead (incomplete pass, runner out of bounds, line to gain reached, etc), then the replay official can put time back on the clock if there is indisputable evidence that there was time remaining when the ball became dead.

This is absolutely reviewable and should have been reversed.

mbyron

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 11:48:22 AM »
Ah. I was looking in an old book. That is indeed new.

Offline sj_31

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 12:57:28 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong...I don't have my RR notes with me, but while we have a visible timeout signal and suppose the RO had enough of everything to reverse it, doesn't South Carolina need a timeout in order for this to be corrected?

Diablo

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 01:24:53 PM »
I fear South Carolina has fallen victim to the old, misguided adage "At the end of a quarter, don't leave one sec on the game clock."  Unfortunately, many clock operators live by the faulty credence or are instructed to follow it by the onfield officials.  Then, if crew is unable or unwilling to see the ball carrier down with 1 sec remaining, it goes to the replay official.  Reversing a call at that level requires applying the absurd, and too often adhered to criteria, "Twenty drunks in a bar".

Offline ref6983

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 01:39:39 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong...I don't have my RR notes with me, but while we have a visible timeout signal and suppose the RO had enough of everything to reverse it, doesn't South Carolina need a timeout in order for this to be corrected?

Only if the reason for the clock stoppage was the official signaling a time out request by a team. Otherwise, no team timeout remaining is required.