Author Topic: You’d Think...  (Read 784 times)

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
You’d Think...
« on: November 12, 2023, 06:53:28 AM »
...that after 39 years of officiating football, I would have had all the “first times” possible.

Not so fast, my friends.  Friday night’s first round playoff game was the first time I’ve had a varsity game where neither team used a charged time out.  And we had no measurements, and only one injury TO.

You do this long enough.....

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Re: You’d Think...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2023, 07:11:57 AM »
How long did the game take ? Scoring is usually the biggest component in length of game. It has been estimated that the dead time from a player entering the end zone to the ensuing kickoff to be near 4 minutes. A 35-28 game would expand the length of game by 40 minutes.  :!#

Offline bama_stripes

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2023, 07:44:50 AM »
How long did the game take ? Scoring is usually the biggest component in length of game. It has been estimated that the dead time from a player entering the end zone to the ensuing kickoff to be near 4 minutes. A 35-28 game would expand the length of game by 40 minutes.  :!#

It took about 2:15.  Score was 42-0 at the half, 56-6 final.  We used “pre-1996” timing in the 3rd, and a running clock in the 4th.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2023, 08:03:52 AM »
...that after 39 years of officiating football, I would have had all the “first times” possible.

Not so fast, my friends.  Friday night’s first round playoff game was the first time I’ve had a varsity game where neither team used a charged time out.  And we had no measurements, and only one injury TO.

You do this long enough.....

Amazing. RE: measurements, we haven't had one all year.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2023, 06:31:03 AM »
We only had one measurement this year and that was on a poorly marked field w/o any one-yard marks either on the sidelines or on the hash marks. I'm still ole'school and ask my crew to spot the ball where it should be and not move it to a tic. Exceptions being on pass interceptions and kick returns. There doesn't seem to be a big movement afoot to shorten the length of games..................Last year a proposal was submited to start clock on RFP after OOB plays.It was tabled in sub-committee, needing to review the impact of such passage. I volenteered to compile such report by asking referees to count the # of OOB plays and I would be on sidelines for some games and record the dead time between spotting the ball & snap. I was then told that the proposal would not be re-submitted as there appeared to be little interest in shortening the length of game.

Discussing this issue with both the Maine Principals' Association and  NFHS leaders, I was told the same. I guess it's only us  z^ with that problem. Coaches appear to be fine with it and kids would want to play all night if allowed to.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 08:12:56 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline bama_stripes

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2023, 06:52:51 AM »
Amazing. RE: measurements, we haven't had one all year.

I think I’ve had 3.  One was a “prove it” measurement late in a close game, & the other two were within an inch. (My crew calls me “Eagle Eye Jim”)

Offline Matt

• FAN REACTION: +17/-3
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2023, 10:29:39 AM »
I had one and it was all for show. Late in a big game at end of season. Winner goes to playoffs and loser goes home.