Author Topic: Starting a 1st down on a line.  (Read 751 times)

Offline dwoicke

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Starting a 1st down on a line.
« on: September 23, 2023, 12:03:40 AM »
I am sure this has been covered a 100 times but I can't find a current thread so I apologize in advance.   We all know we start a new FIRST series on a line.  Here is my question that many of us cannot agree on.  Does every subsequent  first down have to start on a line?  Example, a runner clearly gains 11.5 yards on first and 10 and ends at the 31.5.  Do you

A) Set the chains where it ends (31.5)
B) Ball goes to the 31 and chains are set on the line.
C) Ball goes to the 32 and chains are set on the line.

I know my answer but do not want to taint your answers.  Thanks in advance.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
Re: Starting a 1st down on a line.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2023, 06:54:04 AM »
There are situations in which you just can’t start in a line but make every effort to do so. In the situation you mentioned, it’s clearly beyond the first down, so make that a 12 yard gain. The stat guy did.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2023, 07:22:42 AM »
I want my U to either “nose up” or “butt back” to a tick mark between the 20s.  Inside the 20s, it plays where it lays.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2023, 07:49:06 AM »
I am sure this has been covered a 100 times but I can't find a current thread so I apologize in advance.   We all know we start a new FIRST series on a line.  Here is my question that many of us cannot agree on.  Does every subsequent  first down have to start on a line?  Example, a runner clearly gains 11.5 yards on first and 10 and ends at the 31.5.  Do you

A) Set the chains where it ends (31.5)
B) Ball goes to the 31 and chains are set on the line.
C) Ball goes to the 32 and chains are set on the line.

I know my answer but do not want to taint your answers.  Thanks in advance.

The EXACT dead ball spot is a judgment of what the covering official has observed, which hopefully is as exact as possible.  On today's well marked fields the lines are properly, and accurately spaced.  that spot is then visually matched to a spot on the sideline where the chains are then placed.  Before the game the chains are checked to confirm that they accurately measure a 10 yard difference. The chains measure and determine  where the next "Yard to gain" target will be, and when necessary determine whether that objective has been accomplished,

Surveyors tools might well be a more perfect tool,  but judgment, of the covering official, matching that spot to the placement of sideline chains, visually, has proven to be a far more practical means of managing the "Yard to gain" spot objective.  Mid-field measurements to determine LTG accomplishment often use intermediate field lines to help determine success or, or maintain consistency if/when sideline chain resetting may be necessary. to maintain the initial LTG objective. 

Accurate determination of the Dead Ball spot supported by consistent Chain placement has proven to be an effective & practical tool serving the sport well  since it's inception. "If it ain't broke, don''t fix it" seems an applicable concept here.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +100/-284
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2023, 10:42:20 AM »
I want my U to either “nose up” or “butt back” to a tick mark between the 20s.  Inside the 20s, it plays where it lays.

:thumbup
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2023, 12:35:01 PM »
The EXACT dead ball spot is a judgment of what the covering official has observed, which hopefully is as exact as possible.  On today's well marked fields the lines are properly, and accurately spaced.  that spot is then visually matched to a spot on the sideline where the chains are then placed.  Before the game the chains are checked to confirm that they accurately measure a 10 yard difference. The chains measure and determine  where the next "Yard to gain" target will be, and when necessary determine whether that objective has been accomplished,

Surveyors tools might well be a more perfect tool,  but judgment, of the covering official, matching that spot to the placement of sideline chains, visually, has proven to be a far more practical means of managing the "Yard to gain" spot objective.  Mid-field measurements to determine LTG accomplishment often use intermediate field lines to help determine success or, or maintain consistency if/when sideline chain resetting may be necessary. to maintain the initial LTG objective.

Accurate determination of the Dead Ball spot supported by consistent Chain placement has proven to be an effective & practical tool serving the sport well  since it's inception. "If it ain't broke, don''t fix it" seems an applicable concept here.

Does your explanation of how to make a peanut butter sandwich include how to plant and cultivate peanuts?

Offline dch

• FAN REACTION: +9/-1
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2023, 10:55:15 PM »
I agree with the "between the twenties" start with the nose on a tick mark.  Always the nose so we know that it has reached the line-to-gain if any part of the ball is on the line or beyond.  But please --- 2nd, 3rd, and 4th down should be placed where it really is.  Too many of our officials are putting it on a tick for all downs.  Of course that makes for the team potentially being given credit for 1 or even 1.5 yards they didn't earn for those downs.

And if it is "close, close,close" don't relay it to the U for spotting (at the tick).   Put it on the ground at the dead ball spot and measure from there if required. 
I see too much hurry-up on our part and not enough getting it right regarding spotting the ball.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2023, 04:47:31 PM »
This has always worked very well for me in my career:

--Always spot the ball exactly where it is before the LTG.  So 1/10 @ A20.  RB runs to the A22.5.  Spot it at the 22.5.
--Clear 1st and 10, spot it on a tick.  So 1/10 @ A20.  RB runs to the A33.5.  Spot it at the 33 or 34.

What you don't want to do is spot it on a tick EVERY play.  You want to work at getting accurate spots every single time, so when it's crucial, you've been doing it all game and it's natural.

Some times when it's NOT a good idea to spot a new 1st and 10 on a tick.
--Half the distance enforcement.  Enforcing from the B25 to the B12.5.  Should be 1/10 @ B12.5.
--Runner barely gets a first down.  Spot it exactly where it is.
--Runner is short on 4th down.  Do not flip it to a tick when you set up 1st and 10 going the other way.  Spot it exactly where it is.

PREGAME WITH YOUR STICK CREW these scenarios.  Always give your stick crew a foot to set up when you are not starting on a tick and visually verify they are in the right spot.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2023, 10:11:32 AM »
I guess that I'm still 'ole scvhool' and tell our crew that on kick and interception returns, i don't mind spotting the ball on the hash. All other situations I feel should be spotted where the play ends. While this may create more measurements, being accurate seems more important to me.

A few years ago, while a red cap at UMaine game, I witnessed the following:

(1) UMaine went for it on 4th down;
(2) run ended at their 39.9 - inches short;
(3) Ball was then placed with forward nose touching the 40;
(4) the opponents had the ball and several press members were yelling: "MEASURE IT NOW!"
(5) the  :( >:( :-\ were muttering  :o ??? ::);
(6) I knew the answer  yEs:, but kept the secret to myslef.

hEaDbAnG :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: pi1eOn

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2023, 07:15:34 PM »
yes, yes, yes

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2023, 01:30:45 PM »
Thinking back over the six games I've worked so far this year, I believe we've had two measurements. That doesn't seem like a big price in time to save.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2023, 02:36:23 PM »
I think I've had two measurements in the last 5 years.