Author Topic: Free kick after awarded fair catch  (Read 1367 times)

Offline Brian26

• FAN REACTION: +3/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Free kick after awarded fair catch
« on: October 21, 2023, 02:41:22 PM »
Hope this video clip works.

Last play of the game a free kick after awarded fair catch. Three things stand out to me; the officials position on the formation, the formation is illegal and last few seconds run off on the clock.

Am I correct on this?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1715202093093396949
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 02:43:04 PM by Brian26 »

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
Re: Free kick after awarded fair catch
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2023, 03:24:18 PM »
Right on all counts.

Offline BG5

• FAN REACTION: +6/-1
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2023, 06:17:05 PM »
Formation is illegal because not at least 4 guys on each side of kicker?

Free kicks can only take place after a fair catch correct.  If ball gets kicked out of bounds or rolls out of bounds on its own then you cannot free kick correct?

Offline Brian26

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2023, 08:08:33 PM »
Formation is illegal because not at least 4 guys on each side of kicker?

Free kicks can only take place after a fair catch correct.  If ball gets kicked out of bounds or rolls out of bounds on its own then you cannot free kick correct?

Yes, have to have at least four on each side (free kick rules apply) and only have the option after awarded fair catch.

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2023, 08:54:35 PM »
Yes, have to have at least four on each side (free kick rules apply) and only have the option after awarded fair catch.

The option exists after a regular fair catch too. Awarded fair catches are only the result of the enforcement of a kick catch interference penalty.

Additionally, the choices remain if the down following the fair catch (or awarded fair catch) is repeated due to penalty or inadvertent whistle. Meaning, if R chooses to snap the ball after a fair catch, throws an incomplete pass but there was DPI called, R (now A) can choose to free kick instead on the repeated 1st down 15 yards closer to the goal posts.

Offline Brian26

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2023, 09:13:42 PM »
The option exists after a regular fair catch too. Awarded fair catches are only the result of the enforcement of a kick catch interference penalty.

Additionally, the choices remain if the down following the fair catch (or awarded fair catch) is repeated due to penalty or inadvertent whistle. Meaning, if R chooses to snap the ball after a fair catch, throws an incomplete pass but there was DPI called, R (now A) can choose to free kick instead on the repeated 1st down 15 yards closer to the goal posts.

My bad I should be more clear.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2023, 07:02:56 AM »
A FREE KICK IS STILL A FREE KICK.....

BAD THINGS....

(1) Not 4 players on each side of the kicker  ^flag
(2) BJ is on field INSIDE of a few players  :o
(3) Clock shouldn't start until legally touched  :!#

GOOD THINGS .....

(1) Chains were set to provide NZ  :thumbup

Thanks, Brian, for sharing this.. it's a rare play that has been on my bucket list for 52 of my 54 years as a  z^. (My first 2 years were NCAA in Connecticut where this isn't available). I'm still waiting  :) :bOW ^good ^no

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2023, 09:55:05 AM »
GOOD THINGS .....

I'd bet that was by accident. There's a punt, a penalty, distance gets marked off and ball spotted at the 30, so the chain crew just sets up at the 30, because that's what they do as if it was a normal 1st down scrimmage play.

Honestly, we're kicking from a big line. I don't think we need the chains to measure 10 yards in that situation.

Offline fudilligas

• FAN REACTION: +12/-6
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2023, 06:49:09 PM »
A FREE KICK IS STILL A FREE KICK.....

BAD THINGS....

(1) Not 4 players on each side of the kicker  ^flag
(2) BJ is on field INSIDE of a few players  :o
(3) Clock shouldn't start until legally touched  :!#

GOOD THINGS .....

Thanks, Brian, for sharing this.. it's a rare play that has been on my bucket list for 52 of my 54 years as a  z^. (My first 2 years were NCAA in Connecticut where this isn't available). I'm still waiting  :) :bOW ^good ^no

also, white hat is on receiver restraining line.....should be under the goal post

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2023, 04:30:13 AM »
Good catch,  Fudillgas,R should be back with U under the pipes....preparing to call something they probably never have called before. ^good ^no :!#

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2023, 03:54:06 PM »

* Free Kick Infraction by K but this is an officiating error so I would let it go. (6-1-4)
* The Game clock started on the Kick which is incorrect.  The game clock should not have started at all. (3-4-3, 3-4-5)
* Dead Ball UNS on Team K for violation of (9-8-1i)  Penalty shall be enforced on the subsequent kickoff 
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2023, 09:30:13 PM »
* Free Kick Infraction by K but this is an officiating error so I would let it go. (6-1-4)
* The Game clock started on the Kick which is incorrect.  The game clock should not have started at all. (3-4-3, 3-4-5)
* Dead Ball UNS on Team K for violation of (9-8-1i)  Penalty shall be enforced on the subsequent kickoff
The third * is extremely nit picky, and shows a misunderstanding between the rule and the spirit of the rule. No way under heaven I would ever throw that flag.

Offline lawdog

• FAN REACTION: +3/-17
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2023, 10:10:42 AM »

IF there was still time on the clock as there should be, then ya call that USC.  But with the clock at zeroes you have nothing to call because the game was over at that point.

Online NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2023, 10:43:07 AM »
IF there was still time on the clock as there should be, then ya call that USC.  But with the clock at zeroes you have nothing to call because the game was over at that point.

I would like to think that every official on the field was aware of the actual time remaining prior to the kick and that the clock should not run on the play.  That's a must, especially at crunch time.  And technically the game was not over as we have a timing error that should have been corrected.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline lawdog

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2023, 11:01:08 AM »

I would like to think that every official on the field was aware of the actual time remaining prior to the kick and that the clock should not run on the play.  That's a must, especially at crunch time.  And technically the game was not over as we have a timing error that should have been corrected.

The players see zeroes and they are celebrating a win.  You are going to call an excessive celebration unsportsmanlike on that?  NO WAY! Don't be that guy 

^no

Online NVFOA_Ump

• High School (MA & RI)
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2023, 11:04:15 AM »
The players see zeroes and they are celebrating a win.  You are going to call an excessive celebration unsportsmanlike on that?  NO WAY! Don't be that guy 

^no

I simply suggested that we correct the clock because by rule that's a correctable error.  IMHO we should NEVER allow a game to end when we have made an obvious timing error.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 11:16:00 AM by NVFOA_Ump »
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline Covid 22

• FAN REACTION: +6/-11
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2023, 11:28:58 AM »
It has been 25 years since I called a NFHS game.  I find this play very interesting.   This play is covered in the Scoring section of the NFHS rule book.   The play is considered a field goal attempt with no mention of free kick in this section.   In other places it does denote Free Kick.   I don't think it is intuitive that all "Free Kick" rules apply.  Since this is a very rare occurrence, a note could be added in the scoring section that this field goal attempt is governed by all Free Kick rules, timing, and mechanics.   

Offline KWH

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2023, 11:37:33 AM »
It has been 25 years since I called a NFHS game.  I find this play very interesting.   This play is covered in the Scoring section of the NFHS rule book.   The play is considered a field goal attempt with no mention of free kick in this section.   In other places it does denote Free Kick.   I don't think it is intuitive that all "Free Kick" rules apply.  Since this is a very rare occurrence, a note could be added in the scoring section that this field goal attempt is governed by all Free Kick rules, timing, and mechanics.

6-1-1c, 6-1-1d, and 6-5-4
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 11:42:01 AM by KWH »

Respectfully Submitted;

Online NVFOA_Ump

• High School (MA & RI)
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2023, 11:54:59 AM »

Already clearly in the rules as noted by KWM in his post.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2023, 03:56:01 PM »

Common sense should dictate that a free kick is governed by free kick rules, timing, and mechanics. Also, as has been mentioned, KWH has provided the relevant rules references

Offline lawdog

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2023, 04:13:52 PM »

I simply suggested that we correct the clock because by rule that's a correctable error.  IMHO we should NEVER allow a game to end when we have made an obvious timing error.

Agreed we correct the clock.  But that has nothing to do with not calling an unsportsmanlike when the game appears to be over.

Offline KWH

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2023, 03:34:47 PM »

Unsportsmanlike would not even be on the table if it weren't for the damned clock operator who gets to sit in a dry booth and eat all the Snickers Bars  sNiCkErS

I think several of you may have missed my point! 
Both fouls related to this play were totally preventable and 100% the fault of the game officials and clock operator

* Free-Kick Infraction only occurred because that is where the officials told the K players to stand.
* UNS only occurred because the clock operator distinguished himself by incorrectly starting the game clock on the kick.

Restated, had the officials correctly officiated this play, there would be no fouls on the play, no time would have been run off the clock, and the play would be followed by a subsequent kickoff.

The best thing we can do is learn from this and log all this into our memory banks so on the off chance this "Bucket List Situation" ever presents itself, we can be prepared to properly officiate it. (I personally have been waiting 47 years)

2022-23 NFHS Game Officials Manual - Page 34

Field-Goal attempt by Free Kick after a Fair Catch or Awarded Fair Catch

I.    POSITIONS
     A.   Referee behind upright
     B.   Umpire behind upright, rule on crossbar (May be a different official in some mechanics)
     C. Both Officials determine whether kick was successful.
II.  All other game officials mechanics same as kickoff
III. Set the line-to-gain indicator to establish the 10-yard neutral zone.
IV.  Remind the Clock Operator the game clock shall not start until the ball touched, other than first touching by K.
V.   Play Clock shall be set to 25 and shall start on the RFP from the Referee.

The wording in Blue does not exist at this time but I have on good knowledge it shall be included in the 2024-25 Manual

Respectfully Submitted;

Online NVFOA_Ump

• High School (MA & RI)
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2023, 02:31:24 AM »
I think several of you may have missed my point! 
Both fouls related to this play were totally preventable and 100% the fault of the game officials and clock operator

* Free-Kick Infraction only occurred because that is where the officials told the K players to stand.
* UNS only occurred because the clock operator distinguished himself by incorrectly starting the game clock on the kick.

I don't think we're missing your point.  Some of us obviously simply don't agree with you.  And while we should have done better we did not directly cause any fouls.

*  It is not our job to line up the players although we are free to advise them, and probably should advise them, that they are not in a legal formation before the free kick play runs.
*  IMHO this is not a USC since the OFFICIAL GAME CLOCK is displaying 0.0 - While we must correct the timing error I do not have USC with the OFFICIAL GAME CLOCK showing 0.0
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 07:35:09 AM by NVFOA_Ump »

Offline MAFBRef

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
  • Make every game a great game. And, don't get hurt
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2023, 09:06:18 AM »
6-1-4 says at the time the ball is kicked, 4 K players must be on each side of the ball. The penalty statement says this is a dead ball foul. While we may not be responsible for lining them up correctly, it is certainly our job to blow it dead when the kick is made from an illegal formation. The reality is we should prevent this foul in the first place by getting them into a legal formation before blowing the ball ready.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2023, 10:18:20 AM »
6-1-4 says at the time the ball is kicked, 4 K players must be on each side of the ball. The penalty statement says this is a dead ball foul. While we may not be responsible for lining them up correctly, it is certainly our job to blow it dead when the kick is made from an illegal formation. The reality is we should prevent this foul in the first place by getting them into a legal formation before blowing the ball ready.

This is true. the formation should be legal before we hand the ball to the kicker. On the very rare occasions I have had to flag this, the formation became illegal after the RFP when a player or players shifted to the other side just before the ball was kicked. blow it and throw it, dead ball, illegal formation.