Author Topic: Timeline to becoming a Div 1 ref  (Read 5353 times)

Offline OSU65

• FAN REACTION: +65534/-2
Timeline to becoming a Div 1 ref
« on: August 21, 2018, 04:52:14 PM »
Assuming a referee has a goal to make it to Div 1 how long, best case, would it take to achieve that goal? From what I've learned from this site it seems like it's a long, difficult road. I expect everyone has a "day job" so what is the motivation to put in the time and effort to reach that level?

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
Re: Timeline to becoming a Div 1 ref
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 07:02:50 PM »
It's like the ago old question.  "Why do people climb mountains?"  Because they are there.  Like the mountain, most people want to climb to the top in officiating.  In my opinion college football is the top. 

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 08:49:32 PM »
Assuming a referee has a goal to make it to Div 1 how long, best case, would it take to achieve that goal? From what I've learned from this site it seems like it's a long, difficult road. I expect everyone has a "day job" so what is the motivation to put in the time and effort to reach that level?

I don’t have any real statistics, but, from my experience, the average amount of experience for the window for FBS football to open is between 10 and 15 years.  I know a guy that got in after 26 years of HS/small college (me!).  Lots of exceptions.  Jim Tunney made it to the NFL in just 9 seasons (HS and college).
The keys are dedication, patience, persistence, and continual pursuit of excellence.  Independent and group rule and video study.  Clinics.  Scrimmages.  Snaps, snaps, snaps.  Be ready to go anywhere, any time.  Be really good, and be dependable.  You might have a chance.

Robert

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 10:56:28 PM »
I really wish I could tell you the formula.  I really do.  The bottom line is - it's incredibly subjective who gets hired and who doesn't.  There are LOTS of good officials out there.  You have to be in the right place at the right time and there needs to be an opening in your position that you work for them to hire you (some guys switch positions).  Then, the coordinator has to like you enough to hire you.  Additionally, supervisors need to have more diversity in their staff.  So if you're a woman or minority, you have a little bit of an inside track to get hired.

I know there are officials I used to work with in D2 and D3 that can work at the level I'm at.  It's just TOUGH to break in.  Some guys get lucky though.

You can gain a huge edge on everyone else if you're 1) young and 2) in VERY GOOD physical shape.  Coordinators love hiring guys that "look good in the uniform".  Sometimes the officiating is secondary to that fact.  haha.

Now, another factor, is that supervisors won't hire you unless they see you work in person.  So the only place they can see you work is at their clinics, which are anywhere between $800 and $1500 a pop, not including travel and sometimes lodging.  Most guys don't get hired out of their first clinic, so you'll be looking to drop that much money per season on clinics until you get hired.

On top of that, you never know where you stand.  So you keep going to these clinics and you don't know if you're next in line or if you're 20th.  So then you ask yourself how many more clinics and how much more money do I have to invest to get a shot?  Or, if you're kind of in with two different conferences or consortiums, then you have to play the balancing act, or worse, choose one.  Then you think, did you choose the right one?  Again, you didn't know your spot in line, so you could have quit the conference that you had the best chance to get hired with.  My advice in this scenario is to ride the fence as long as you can.

It always helps to have a "horse".  Someone with some pull that likes you and can get in the coordinator's ear to give you a shot.

The most important thing is to not measure your self worth as an official by the level you work.  There are good officials at every level.  Don't be discouraged if you never make it to D1.  Again, it's tough.  But, you can be a kickass D2 or D3 official who is highly respected in your area, work NCAA playoffs every year, and that's something to be proud of!  Always enjoy the level you're at.  If you move up, then it's icing on the cake.   Don't let my advice discourage you if that's your goal is to be D1.  You just have to put in the effort.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 08:14:04 AM »
You just have to put in the effort.

Hear. Hear.  That can not be over stated.  :thumbup

Robert

Offline Sonofanump

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 10:45:19 AM »
The top of the mountain gets narrower the higher you climb.  D1 conferences cover a lot of states.
If you are not putting in the extreme amount of work (as listed above) to get to each check point in 3-4 years, then there might not be a possibility. 

0-2 Pee Wee, JH & JV
1-7 High School Varsity (depending on state standards)
3-5 NCAA JV & JCO
4-10 D3
7-12 D2 I'd give up HS at this point if D1 is the goal
10-15 goal

Offline Ironmanerik

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 08:00:30 PM »
I work D2 and D3.  Making it to an FBS conference would be awesome, but my advice is put in the work and be the best you can be every time you take the field no matter what level you are at.  I love football, love the guys I officiate with every weekend  like family, and if I never made it any further than where I’m at now I would be totally fine with that.  For me, I enjoy putting the work in and having fun calling football.  I’ve never really gotten caught up on the level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 09:26:36 AM »
The top of the mountain gets narrower the higher you climb.  D1 conferences cover a lot of states.
If you are not putting in the extreme amount of work (as listed above) to get to each check point in 3-4 years, then there might not be a possibility. 

0-2 Pee Wee, JH & JV
3-5 NCAA JV & JCO
4-10 D3
10-15 goal

I just made it to D2 level and I hope your comment about giving up HS isnt accurate. Curious why you think that is the case. What do you do during the week if you're not doing HS and why do you feel like your one D2 game a week is enough? Honest question out of curiosity.

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 10:30:12 AM »
I work D2 and D3.  Making it to an FBS conference would be awesome, but my advice is put in the work and be the best you can be every time you take the field no matter what level you are at.  I love football, love the guys I officiate with every weekend  like family, and if I never made it any further than where I’m at now I would be totally fine with that.  For me, I enjoy putting the work in and having fun calling football.  I’ve never really gotten caught up on the level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great advice!  Be happy doing your best where you are so that you enjoy it even if you don’t get selected to move up.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 11:20:57 AM »
I just made it to D2 level and I hope your comment about giving up HS isnt accurate. Curious why you think that is the case. What do you do during the week if you're not doing HS and why do you feel like your one D2 game a week is enough? Honest question out of curiosity.

At that level there can and will be some scheduling problems between HS and college. Some supervisors have rules concerning working the day/ night before. Not sure you have to “give up” high school just be aware of the conflicts

" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline clearwall

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 12:04:14 PM »
You just mean the Friday nights then? I thought you were talking about giving EVERYTHING up, SV and MS and the like. I couldnt see how that would conflict. Yeah, I can understand how the Fridays might occasionally. I got lucky this year that all of my games are within a reasonable driving distance for me. The ones that arent(I have one 8 hours away and another 5 hours) are in the evenings so I can leave early Saturday and get there the required 4 hours before kickoff.

Offline Sonofanump

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 12:04:37 PM »

I think IMHO, it comes down to this:
What is your goal and what is HS still doing for you?  Conflicts in rules, high school speed is molasses, time away from NCAA as time is limited.
Getting home late Friday, turning around to drive early Saturday is not optimal.
If you think that D1 is not attainable and enjoy high school, then have fun with all that you do.

Is your D2 conference compact enough to consider still working Friday nights?
Any Monday JV games to take on during the season?

Offline Sonofanump

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 12:15:40 PM »
You just mean the Friday nights then? I thought you were talking about giving EVERYTHING up, SV and MS and the like. I couldnt see how that would conflict. Yeah, I can understand how the Fridays might occasionally. I got lucky this year that all of my games are within a reasonable driving distance for me. The ones that arent(I have one 8 hours away and another 5 hours) are in the evenings so I can leave early Saturday and get there the required 4 hours before kickoff.

I got to the point that I did not think any HS was making me better to achieve my goal.
I know some that still do some HS and work D2 when Saturday games are very close.

Offline clearwall

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 12:22:08 PM »
Yeah, I woulndt do it for the skill development, but I make about $2500 doing sub-varsity alone. Doing middle school stopped making me better after a while too, but I still did that. I hear what you're saying though

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2018, 02:13:17 PM »
Any snaps can make you better, as can interaction with coaches, players, and other officials. Plus with the shortage of officials we need small college guys to work high school if they can.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 12:32:53 PM »

When I worked a full D2/D3 schedule, I would always drive out right after my high school game and get a hotel near or on the way to my Saturday college game if the drive was more than 2 hours.  Going home, sleeping, then getting up early is counter productive, especially if you're back-tracking to go home. 

When you go home, you don't go to sleep as soon as your head hits the pillow.  You're still jacked up from your high school game.  Use that energy to drive toward your next destination.  I always got a solid 7 hours or more of sleep when I did that.  Find a friend coming your way and split the cost of the hotel.

You absolutely notice a difference when you drive out the night before.  You feel more refreshed and alert.

Oh, and get a Marriott credit card and spend everything on it so you rack up points. You'll end up getting a few nights free during the season.

Offline clearwall

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2018, 11:23:12 AM »
Thanks for the advice, Boss(and others). I live in a major metro area so most of my Fri nights are pretty close. Luckily I dont have to drive to the BFE for games. I think furthest we go out is 2.5 hours and that's rare. I got lucky with scheduling this year in college as well, we have two 5 hour drives but they're both night games so I can easily leave early(7-8am) and get to our sites 5 hours or so before kickoff.

Offline sirhoagy

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2018, 12:08:17 PM »
I believe D-1 football would be rewarding if you want to officiate at the level and can handle the political b.s. that happens there.  Yes, it happens at every level, but D1/NFL is *tough* when it comes to that stuff.  That's the biggest turn-off for me, but I'd still go ahead and work D-1 if offered.

Regardless, working your way up should be the philosophy of "The journey is what matters, not the destination."  I work NAIA and D-3 football.  Yeah, we don't have huge crowds, but I get to work with six other gents who are good at what they do, working 7-person mechanics, NCAA rules, and I get to take snaps at the college level.  I truly enjoy it.  I had the fortune of working one game at the college level with a rather sizable crowd (about 7,000) and it was HUGE compared to what I'm used to seeing.  When they cheered, you could feel the soundwave hit the field (I worked U that game, and there was a pick-off just behind me.  All the sounds from the stands came right towards me)  What a rush that was!  I'd love to do that every Saturday.  But, I don't.  I still love what I do, even driving 5 hours to work a doesn't-matter game, in the pouring down rain, with 5 people in the stands.

It's getting in those snaps and doing what we love.

I wish you the best of success to get where you go.  Just remember to love the journey every step of the way!

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2018, 12:18:29 AM »
Around here we are the edge of 2 D2 conferences. The other edge is 6-8 hours away. At most schools the crew will travel the night before. Even if the game is close there are usually guys on the crew who are traveling to you. The crews will meet the night before so you need to be available as well. Some guys do retain their licenses and will work the first 2 weeks of HS season before the college season start and fill in off weeks during the season. That becomes less rare for the D1 guys. It extremely rare for any of those guys to work sub-varsity games.

As for the path, others have covered that well. It's a lot about opportunity meeting timing. Control what you can control and let the rest take care of itself. You never know when your number will be up but do what you can to make sure you number is visible.

Offline Sonofanump

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2024, 08:04:43 AM »

0-2 Pee Wee, JH & JV
3-5 NCAA JV & JCO
4-10 D3
10-15 goal

I was thinking about this post after attending a clinic and advice was being sought.
I still believe this to be a proper timeline.

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2024, 07:22:12 AM »
I'm probably in a similar boat. I work JUCO and D3, and I'm looking to get picked up full-time at the D3 and/or D2 levels. I've been trying out for one assigner for the last 3 years, but I haven't got the call yet. I'll have 2 other tryouts next week, one for a guy who assigns both D2 and D3, and one for the CIAA. I've been calling HS football since 2015, college since 2019. It's good to know that it is a long process and can sometimes take a long time. I'm wondering if I should try out for ODAC, but then travel might be brutal if I have to also do USA South.