Author Topic: Categories - DPI - OPI - Holding  (Read 1785 times)

Offline BG5

• FAN REACTION: +6/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Categories - DPI - OPI - Holding
« on: September 27, 2019, 08:20:23 AM »
Hello,

I was not sure if there were official categories for these penalties.  After searching stuff online I found the following and was wondering if there were other categories that should be included?  Not sure if any of these need to be taken off as well.  I could not find anything under NHFS.

DPI
-Arm Bar
-Not playing the ball
-Hold/Grab and Restrict
-Playing through the back
-Hook and twist
-Cutoff

OPI
-Blocking beyond the expanded neutral zone
-Pick play
-Creating seperation/push off
-Playing through the back

Holding
-TAkedown
-Tackle
-Pullover
-Grab and restrict
-Hook and restrict
-Jerk and restrict

Thoughts and should anything be added or taken off?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 09:18:15 AM by BG5 »

Offline SCHSref

• FAN REACTION: +15/-10
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
Re: Categories - DPI - OPI - Holding
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 09:09:40 AM »
I'm unfamiliar with Hot Playing the Ball.  Would you mind describing this phrase?  Thanks
If you didn't see it, you can't call it

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 09:37:49 AM »
Those lists are solid. The DPI list I've seen is slightly different:

-Arm Bar - an effective tool for preventing the receiver from getting his arms up...if they don't get caught!
-Not playing the ball - include early contact because just not playing the ball isn't a foul. The threshold for contact is low if they aren't playing the ball
-Hold/Grab and Restrict - one forgotten here often is the arm grab preventing the receiver from raising his arm to catch the pass. It doesn't show up big on our video but it should be called if seen by the official. BJ usually has the best look inside out.
-Playing through the back - generally on a button hook or crossing route
-Hook and twist - look for the back hand when the defender is reaching out to defend the pass. If he twists the guy it's a foul
-Cutoff - mostly occurs on the sideline routes where the defender rides the receiver OOB

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 11:04:34 AM »
All, but not exclusive, reasonable examples of NFHS: 7-5-10, "It is forward pass interference if ANY PLAYER OF A OR B who is BEYOND THE NZ "INTERFERES"with an ELIGIBLE OPPONENT'S OPPORTUNITY to MOVE TOWARD, CATCH or BAT the pass."

NFHS: 7-5-11 suggests several conditions that should NOT be considered FP Interference.