Author Topic: Illegal Participation  (Read 2479 times)

Offline MN-BJ

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Illegal Participation
« on: October 17, 2018, 11:12:21 AM »
Long-time reader of the site - first time posting.

This play happened in my town - but not officiated by our association.

Player comes off the bench (#44) to tackle the ball carrier.

Official awarded a TD.  Not sure if player was ejected.

15 years of officiating and haven't seen this except hearing about 1954 Cotton Bowl and the famous Woody Hayes play.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1051658570276716544 

BTW - #44 is a senior captain - team was down by 26 and 0-7 on the season.

Offline CK51

Re: Illegal Participation
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 11:26:12 AM »
friend of mine (another officials) sent me that and we both agreed that the R should award the TD plus 15 yd penalty from the succeeding spot

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 11:56:38 AM »
Heads up call by the BJ or Wing or whoever caught that.  On those bizarre plays, sometimes I question whether I really saw what I thought I just saw.  If you officiate HS football long enough, I guess you might see anything.  Except the unicorn known as the Free Kick After A Fair Catch.   8]

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 12:34:16 PM »
Welcome, MN-BJ, to our forum. I hope it becomes very interesting and informational for you. 9-9-1 is the "catch-all" rule for antics such as this. Some may say the awarded TD is enough. Some may want to tack on a 15 yd. USC to the PAT/KO. IMHO, the award of a TD is probably enough.

Offline brettjr2005

• FAN REACTION: +2/-3
  • CIF
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 09:49:11 PM »
I'd say that the 15 yard UNS is pretty much necessary to discourage and punish the behavior.  This is a clear violation of the rules of the game and of sportsmanship in general, as well as typically being a safety issue for the ball carrier who doesn't expect to be hit by someone coming form the sideline.  In most circumstances that something like this would happen, the ball carrier was going to score anyways and that's why the offended player did what he did (or he was just HACKED about something earlier in the game and lost it in a fit of rage).  Since the ball carrier likely would have scored anyways then there's no real punishment or deterrent if you only award the TD that they would have scored anyways. 

Offline sczeebra

• FAN REACTION: +5/-7
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 06:29:08 AM »
Just had the unicorn here in SC last Friday night. A 48 yarder in a 5a contest.

Offline CK51

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 07:02:14 AM »
Just had the unicorn here in SC last Friday night. A 48 yarder in a 5a contest.
How did the fans and opposing coach react when you lined them up for the free kick? I'd imagine more than a few people questioned your cognitive abilities.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 08:22:28 AM »
We had one in a playoff game a few years back where I was working the chains.  Happened right before halftime.

Needed to go to the "little officials' room" during the half.  Seemed like every 5 steps we were explaining that R could choose to do that after a fair catch.  Good thing all 4 of us on the chain crew went; if only one of us had gone, we might have been so busy explaining that we missed the kick to start the second half.