Author Topic: Kind of football related  (Read 1057 times)

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Kind of football related
« on: March 30, 2022, 08:32:37 AM »
I recently completed listening to a Texas Monthly podcast series by Skip Hollandsworth called Tom Brown's Body, which if you haven't listened to it, highly, highly recommend.  Easily one of the most bizarre/strange stories I've ever heard.  In short a high school kid in Canadian, Texas, goes missing, his body is found two years later, but whodunit?  FBI, Texas Rangers, Texas AG, and local LE all say suicide, except body was found 12 miles from his car, and his phone... oh em gee. You gotta listen to/read the story to get the scoop on that.  His parents, the PI hired by the parents to find him, high school kids, and even the local sheriff are all under suspicion, and nearly everybody failed a polygraph test, but no arrests.

podcast link:  https://www.texasmonthly.com/interactive/tom-browns-body/

...so the reason I bring this up, is that one of the more arcane theories claimed by a high school kid named Chris, is that the sheriff kidnapped Chris, and threatened to kill Tom if Chris didn't transfer into the school district to play football there, and to throw games for a 'local gambling ring that bet on high school football.'  That last phrase is my question - has anyone even ever heard of this going on?  Is it even a thing?  I'm not into gambling/betting so I would presume it's not nonexistent, and maybe I'm just sheltered, but I've never heard of this at all (betting on local HS football teams, much less threatening players to throw games.)  Couldn't find anything on google either.  Just wondering if it's complete fiction or if something I've just never seen or heard about.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
Re: Kind of football related
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2022, 09:03:32 AM »
First off, did not read the entire article.

Have never heard of the gambling rings and discount most of what is in Texas Monthly.
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Re: Kind of football related
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2022, 10:33:46 AM »
This is worth the read/listen, if not from Texas Monthly, then elsewhere.  It is a gripping story