Author Topic: 1 second left on clock - Is it possible to get a snap off after RFP whistle?  (Read 676 times)

Offline Fatso

• FAN REACTION: +8/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
A completes a pass for 1st down.  During the temporary clock stoppage for 1st down, there's an injury for B player.  With one second left on game clock, assuming A is at the line in formation - is it possible to snap the ball after RFP sounds?   I guess the snapper would need to snap right when he hears the RFP.......   

I don't think there's a hard rule, but wondering if there's a general standard that's followed. (like in NBA, 0.3 secs is minimum to get a shot off)

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
A completes a pass for 1st down.  During the temporary clock stoppage for 1st down, there's an injury for B player.  With one second left on game clock, assuming A is at the line in formation - is it possible to snap the ball after RFP sounds?   I guess the snapper would need to snap right when he hears the RFP.......   

I don't think there's a hard rule, but wondering if there's a general standard that's followed. (like in NBA, 0.3 secs is minimum to get a shot off)

I say yes. if the snapper is listening for the whistle, and snaps the ball on the RFP whistle instead of the snap count, it's possible.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
While all A players need to be set for a second before the snap, their set can come before the RFP. On fields that still have a horn that sounds with 0:00, preventive officiating may
include : "PLAY thru the horn, play thru the horn!!".

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
I say yes. if the snapper is listening for the whistle, and snaps the ball on the RFP whistle instead of the snap count, it's possible.

I'd agree.   If the snapper immediately snaps the ball at the sound of the whistle I would say we've got a good play.  That being said, we always stress that our timing should remain consistent throughout the game with the same consistent "dead time" before RFP's
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 10:17:20 AM by NVFOA_Ump »
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline lawdog

• FAN REACTION: +3/-17
While all A players need to be set for a second before the snap, their set can come before the RFP. On fields that still have a horn that sounds with 0:00, preventive officiating may

A question I always ask the timer before the game so I can get them to turn the darn thing off!!!  This isn't basketball...

Offline Fatso

• FAN REACTION: +8/-1
Great advice.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
It’s not only possible, but well-coached teams practice just such a situation.  I’ve had this on multiple occasions.

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!

I agree with Calhoun
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum