Author Topic: Bands playing before/during snap  (Read 3464 times)

Offline Texas_Newbie

• FAN REACTION: +0/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Bands playing before/during snap
« on: December 03, 2021, 06:28:24 PM »
Team A coach is upset that Team B band continues to play as they break the huddle & during the snap.

Any rule, protocol, approved rulings on this?

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Re: Bands playing before/during snap
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 06:46:07 PM »
Rule? Yes. 9-1-2-b-5
Protocol? No idea.
AR? I don’t think so.

5.  No substitute(s) may enter the field of play or end zones for purposes other than replacing a player(s) or to fill a player vacancy(ies). This includes demonstrations after any play (A.R. 9-2-1-I).
Persons subject to the rules, including bands and audio/video/lighting systems operators, shall not create any noise or distraction that prohibits a team from hearing its signals or obstructs play (Rule 1-1-6).

I know at least one white hat in East Texas somewhere had a conversation with a band director over noise, don’t know what the outcome immediately was, but their social media page said the next weeks game was gonna be even more raucous.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 07:09:50 PM »
Here is the UIL policy:

Guidelines for Bands Playing during Football Games.
UIL Football games are conducted under NCAA Rules. As it relates to when a band may play during the game, the NCAA Football Rule Book states:
Persons subject to the rules, including bands, shall not create any noise that prohibits a team from hearing its signals (NCAA Rule 1-1-6 and UIL Rule 9-2-1-b-5).
PENALTY—Dead-ball foul. 15 yards from the succeeding spot [S7 and S27]. Automatic first down for fouls by Team B if not in conflict with other rules. Flagrant offenders, if players or substitutes, shall be disqualified [S47].
To assist with compliance, consider the following procedures:
• Have the band stop playing from the time the Offense (of either team) breaks the huddle until the ball is snapped.
• Or, in the case of Offenses that do not huddle, have the band stop playing from the time the Center on Offense is over the ball until the ball is snapped.
This may necessitate creating shorter versions of some music, as is common practice with college bands. A drum line playing throughout the game generally does not prohibit a team from hearing its signals – use your discretion.
Although most officials do warn a band prior to calling a penalty, they are not required to do so.
Consider discussing this matter with your head football coach, athletic director, and/or school administration to determine a plan that is appropriate for your school.

—————
I have had many conversations with band directors. It only takes one conversation, and the problem goes away.

By the way (for millennials, that means ‘BTW’), this policy is issued by the UIL to the band directors, and, as you can see, is written as though speaking directly to them. So, this is the ‘policy’ that you reference when politely notifying the band director to stop playing when the opponent is preparing to put the ball in play. Since it references the NCAA rule, and offers these procedures as something to ‘consider,’ it is still our judgment as to whether the band playing prohibits a team from hearing its signals. But, if there is any question in your mind, or the opposing teams complains, then have that conversation with the band director. Try to nip this in the bud early in the game. If they are playing while the opponent is preparing to snap the ball, at the next ‘break in the action,’ go over to the band director and remind him that, by UIL policy, they are not permitted to play while the opponent is preparing to put the ball in play. That has always worked for me.
If the opponent is complaining, stop the game and have that conversation immediately.
Don’t ‘accuse’ the other band, by association. Treat each band independently. If the other band is behaving itself, don’t ‘warn,’ them, too. In some cases, yeah, you’ll eventually have to talk to both band directors. But, no need for that unless both are misbehaving.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 11:33:39 AM by ElvisLives »

Offline psv

• FAN REACTION: +14/-14
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2021, 10:30:11 PM »
The key here is this:  "shall not create any noise that prohibits a team from hearing its signals"

We had a coach in the playoffs beating this particular drum during his game (he was blowing his opponent out, for what its worth)....  Fact was, I could hear his QB over their band even on their side line.  They were not very loud and they were not interfering.  But, he took the point of view that they absolutely COULD NOT be playing from the time he broke the huddle until the next whistle.  We pointed out the specific part and mentioned we could hear their signals just fine, and so could his team.

We did have a game a couple years ago where the band was just "blowing into their instruments" and we had to tell the band director to stop and they did.... or at least they just started playing actual music within the range that the offense could hear their signals.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 03:07:34 AM by psv »

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 02:37:41 PM »
I had a game about week 4 this year where the band was seated in bleachers just outside one end zone about 15 feet.  Any time the opposing team was on that end, they would blast their instruments, not playing anything recognizable.  When the opposing team's QB called a time out and told me he couldn't hear, that was enough.  When the teams went to the sideline I walked over to the band, which was right behind me since I was already standing in the end zone awaiting the snap, and I found the band director.  He was a complete jerk.  He just laughed and said they do it every home game and I had no jurisdiction to tell him to be quiet.  I just said, thank you and walked away.  No need to argue with an idiot.  I then walked to the home team side and found the principal, who told me before the game where he would be standing.  When I told him what happened and that I'm just going to start marching 15 yard penalties down the field until the band no longer played would be close enough to bother the other offensive play calling, he jumped on it immediately.  When the teams came back out I could see the principal and the band director arguing.  I had to laugh.  After the next play, I turn and said to the band director, you might be wrong about that jurisdiction thing.  He just glared and turned the other way.  I didn't like doing that any more than he liked me doing it, but if common decency was a little more common, we wouldn't have had to go down that road.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 05:10:31 AM by TexDoc »

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +6/-10
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 03:44:58 PM »
I likely would have started with game site admin first and not with the band director who likely doesn't have a clue about jurisdiction. I also, probably would not have yelled anything to the band director afterwards either. The point on jurisdiction was already made at that point. Just my 2 cents worth.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...

Offline FWREF

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2021, 06:01:26 PM »
Yelling at the band director, is always, always appropriate......

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2021, 09:27:18 PM »
A few years ago I had a band blast some horn extremely loud that it shook the stadium.  The team that was on offense all jumped when the horn was blasted as did I.  The horn blowing team and the band started celebrating because they got the team to jump.  Whistles sounded but no flag thrown for the FST.  I made a V-line to the coach and told him that the band was at risk of being flagged if they did that again.  He told me that they started doing it because they learned it from Podunk High School.  He informed the band director and it stopped.  During the week the coach complained to our chapter President, who was also an employee of his school and the President showed him in the rule book that it was illegal.  So, fast forward to the playoffs.  They blast the horn again and a different chapter was working the game.  That horn goes off and flag thrown.  The team was penalized for the noise made by the band.  This was a huge foul at that juncture in the game and it hurt them pretty bad.  The coach goes back to the President and complains that they got flagged.  His response, "Coach, you were previously warned in a game that it was illegal and I showed you the rule but you decided to test another chapter and you deservedly got flagged."

A year later I ended up working his game against Podunk High School and it became the battle of the bands.  Both teams were mutually blasting each other.   hEaDbAnG

At halftime of that game the visiting band was going a little bit longer than they were allotted so the coach told me I needed to flag them for delay of game.  I had to inform him yet again about a rule that it was the responsibility of the home team to have the field cleared and ready to play after halftime.  I asked if he still wanted me to throw a flag know the penalty would be on his team.  He stopped arguing rules stuff after that with me.  His games are now easy to work.   

Offline CosmoKramer

• FAN REACTION: +4/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2021, 01:08:34 PM »
A few years ago I had a band blast some horn extremely loud that it shook the stadium.  The team that was on offense all jumped when the horn was blasted as did I.  The horn blowing team and the band started celebrating because they got the team to jump.  Whistles sounded but no flag thrown for the FST.  I made a V-line to the coach and told him that the band was at risk of being flagged if they did that again.  He told me that they started doing it because they learned it from Podunk High School.  He informed the band director and it stopped.  During the week the coach complained to our chapter President, who was also an employee of his school and the President showed him in the rule book that it was illegal.  So, fast forward to the playoffs.  They blast the horn again and a different chapter was working the game.  That horn goes off and flag thrown.  The team was penalized for the noise made by the band.  This was a huge foul at that juncture in the game and it hurt them pretty bad.  The coach goes back to the President and complains that they got flagged.  His response, "Coach, you were previously warned in a game that it was illegal and I showed you the rule but you decided to test another chapter and you deservedly got flagged."

A year later I ended up working his game against Podunk High School and it became the battle of the bands.  Both teams were mutually blasting each other.   hEaDbAnG

At halftime of that game the visiting band was going a little bit longer than they were allotted so the coach told me I needed to flag them for delay of game.  I had to inform him yet again about a rule that it was the responsibility of the home team to have the field cleared and ready to play after halftime.  I asked if he still wanted me to throw a flag know the penalty would be on his team.  He stopped arguing rules stuff after that with me.  His games are now easy to work.   

Podunk High School seems to be the culprit of many problems..... ;D