Author Topic: test question  (Read 27554 times)

Offline Bwest

• FAN REACTION: +12/-3
Re: test question
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2015, 02:20:54 PM »
I still think the intent of this rule is to apply to kicks that cross the LOS.  A kick that has not crossed the LOS can be advanced by K by run, pass or kick it again.  They certainly couldn't do any of those things if they weren't still in possession.  If they kick on 3rd down and the ball doesn't cross the LOS, they still have the ball for 4th down.  So why should there be this odd exception for joint possession?

It's not just for joint possession, what if a K punt is blocked and the ball goes out of bounds without crossing the neutral zone?

wvoref

« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2015, 02:41:17 PM »
I still think the intent of this rule is to apply to kicks that cross the LOS.  A kick that has not crossed the LOS can be advanced by K by run, pass or kick it again.  They certainly couldn't do any of those things if they weren't still in possession.  If they kick on 3rd down and the ball doesn't cross the LOS, they still have the ball for 4th down.  So why should there be this odd exception for joint possession?

Try to think of it this way. The odd exception is for K to recover the ball behind the line otherwise they have given rights of possession to R (except for out of bounds in K's endzone, assuming no new force).  One other person stated that this is why teams attempt a field goal on third down in case it's blocked they'd get another chance. But to do so they need to be the team to recover and it has to be behind the line. If R recovers, the ball goes OOB, ends up beyond the line, or joint recovery they aren't getting another chance. I honestly believe the main reason for attempting the FG on 3rd down is on case of a bad snap.

Offline fudilligas

• FAN REACTION: +12/-6
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2015, 06:11:25 PM »
(5-1-3e) ...a new series is awarded to : R ,if K legally kicks during any scrimmage down and the ball is recovered by R, is IN JOINT POSSESSION OF OPPONENTS, goes out bounds or becomes dead with no player in possession.

I don't think 5-1-3e applies in this situation.  This pertains to a scrimmage down that ends in the field of play.  Since the kick ended in K's end zone it is not in the field of play and therefore I think 5-1-4 applies...Unless first touched by R beyond the NZ, if the kickers recover a scrimmage kick in or behind the NZ, the ball remains live and belongs to K and down counts.  Since the ball still belongs to K, wouldn't this end in a safety and not a TD.

wvoref

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2015, 07:17:32 PM »
Once again read rule 6-2-7. It states that joint possession of a scrimmage kick anywhere (not just in the field of play) belongs to R.  It's a rule not just a case book play.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2015, 06:51:52 AM »
Back before the turn of the century the following occurred:
     (1) Late in the first half A tried a field goal on 3rd down;
     (2) the kick was blocked,muffed by a couple of players & then OOB behind LOS with 0:02 left;
     (3) A's coach claimed they should get a 4th down;
     (4) referee agreed - A then kicked a successful field goal ;
     (5) a debate raged at our weekly meeting;
     (6) I phoned NFHS, their response was, "Unless K gains sole possession of the blocked kick behind the line, they have voluntarily turned the ball over to R by kicking it and don't have the opportunity for a 4th down."
      (7) this philosophy again reared it's head during the debate on adopting PSK back in 2003.

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2015, 11:19:19 AM »

Back before the turn of the century the following occurred:
     (1) Late in the first half A tried a field goal on 3rd down;
     (2) the kick was blocked,muffed by a couple of players & then OOB behind LOS with 0:02 left;
     (3) A's coach claimed they should get a 4th down;
     (4) referee agreed - A then kicked a successful field goal ;
     (5) a debate raged at our weekly meeting;
     (6) I phoned NFHS, their response was, "Unless K gains sole possession of the blocked kick behind the line, they have voluntarily turned the ball over to R by kicking it and don't have the opportunity for a 4th down."
      (7) this philosophy again reared it's head during the debate on adopting PSK back in 2003.

Ain't this what I said a month ago?  tiphat:

CB 6.2.3b seems to support my hypothesis above that 6-2-7 applies in all legal punt recoveries by R - except for those kicks made on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd downs that are singularly recovered by K behind the LOS.