Author Topic: Lane Violation  (Read 1138 times)

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
Lane Violation
« on: December 06, 2022, 01:41:53 PM »
I know basic BB rules, but no expert whatsoever.
At a MS game (which is the first issue here). Official calls 3 second lane violation - yet the ball was loose, A & B were scrambling for a loose ball, A comes up with it and tweet, 3-second lane violation????
In my small mind: if A is not in possession how can they possibly be held accountable to the 3 second lane rule??
What am I missing?

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
Re: Lane Violation
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 08:59:58 AM »
I know basic BB rules, but no expert whatsoever.
At a MS game (which is the first issue here). Official calls 3 second lane violation - yet the ball was loose, A & B were scrambling for a loose ball, A comes up with it and tweet, 3-second lane violation????
In my small mind: if A is not in possession how can they possibly be held accountable to the 3 second lane rule??
What am I missing?

I'm not a basketball official, have never been a basketball official, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but is there a basketball rule that say the team in possession is still in possession until the opponent gains possession?  For instance, Team A had the ball and it became loose.  Is Team A still in team possession until either Team B gains possession or it goes out of bounds (or maybe something else I'm not thinking of)?  I'd like to know the rule on that one too. 

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 09:57:58 AM »
In HS basketball, there are two different types of possession: player control and team control. Player and team control both begin when a player possesses the ball on the court. When a player loses possession, team control remains with the team that last had player control (unless that team attempted a try or tap for goal (a shot)), until a player of the opposing team controls the ball.

The 3-second rule states that "A player shall not remain for three seconds in that part of his/her free throw lane between the endline and the farther edge of the free-throw line while the ball is in control of his/her team in his/her frontcourt". Because A still had team control during the scramble, they are still liable for a 3-second violation.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 10:44:15 AM »
THX fellas.
must say i'm a tad surprised that A still must adhere to 3 seconds when it's a scramble on the floor and unclear what advantage is gained in that loose ball situation...nevertheless...

To ilyazhito.
So we have the letter of the rule....and we definitely had a 3 second lane violation per the letter of the rule...BUT in reality ("the way it's called") was that perhaps an overzealous call by an inexperienced MS official? - or quite common to see the same call at HS varsity level called in that situation?

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 11:00:03 AM »
I haven't had that play happen to me yet. That said, if the player is leaving the lane, I would not call that. If the player stayed in the lane, with no awareness of the situation, or, worse, is in position to catch a pass after staying in the lane, I will call it. If I see a player standing in the lane, I usually say "lane" as a reminder. If I have to say it twice, and the player does not leave, I then call it.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2022, 06:16:18 AM »
THX fellas.
must say i'm a tad surprised that A still must adhere to 3 seconds when it's a scramble on the floor and unclear what advantage is gained in that loose ball situation...nevertheless...

To ilyazhito.
So we have the letter of the rule....and we definitely had a 3 second lane violation per the letter of the rule...BUT in reality ("the way it's called") was that perhaps an overzealous call by an inexperienced MS official? - or quite common to see the same call at HS varsity level called in that situation?

Under the principle of advantage/disadvantage, i’d be quite unlikely to make that call in this scenario.  In fact, it might not even “tickle my radar.”  It’s like a minor hold away from the play in football.

However, young players need to be aware of their positions relative to the lane anytime the ball is on their end of the court.  They don’t have the unfettered right to “camp out”, regardless of where the ball is.  And certainly, especially if you’ve warned that player previously, it might be a good wake-up call.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2022, 09:07:23 AM »
To be clear fellas: the ball is loose on the floor (in the lane) and both A & B are trying to get a handle on.

THX